Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of moving to TalkTalk ..... Don't

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thinking of moving to TalkTalk ..... Don't

"Britain’s shoddiest customer service in 2011 and the winner — for the second year running — is TalkTalk."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-2084868/TalkTalk-gets-Wooden-Spoon-Award-AGAIN.html?I...
"The problem with most of these companies is the Indian call centres. We don't understand what their saying, they don't understand us. They often have no idea how to deal with your problem, are on the other side of the world, often rude, keep transfering you around and make promises they never keep."
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Thinking of moving to TalkTalk ..... Don't

CS is the not the be-all/end-all of a connection.
Sure IF you have a problem then they are the POC, but you just have to look through the forum to see that PN use "Flow diagram support" as well. (1. tell customer to reboot modem/router, 2. use master socket, 3. delay. it might fix itself)
I have NEVER needed end-user support from PN so don't know the answers they give if you say you lave a line dropping etc.
I have considered moving to them twice now, but PN have managed to persuade me to stay, so I don't have direct comparison, but my next door neighbour was with them for several years (on a 2mb line) with no problems that I heard of. (He has since moved house)
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
"The problem with most of these companies is the Indian call centres. We don't understand what their saying, they don't understand us. They often have no idea how to deal with your problem, are on the other side of the world, often rude, keep transfering you around and make promises they never keep."

I've had many experiences with Indian call centres, every single one, apart from one call to Virgin Mobile, has resulted in much of the above.
I've recently unsubscribed from SKY TV.
Had two calls the other day, if you assume my name is Fred Bloggs, they both insisted on calling me Mr Fred, presumably they have their surname first in India, as they do in other Far Eastern Countries. Even after correcting them both twice, I was still Mr Fred !!
One Indian op was calling themself Simon, the other Steve !
The calls didn't last long.
As for TalkTalk, presumably users call Customer Services because they have a problem.
At least with PlusNet you get a nice friendly Yorkshire voice. And certainly the techies know what they are talking about, I have found.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I 'eventually' jumped ship from Plusnet to TalkTalk, Had a few problems that got sorted out, I use the TalkTalk forums for anything that I feel needs sorted or corrected, Solid connection just like PN, Home phone the same too.
Only reason I frequent these forums is that my girlfriend is still with PN and I like to be in the know for her. If she could have TT then I am sure she would be with them too, Much cheaper for the same connection except I am on full LLU.
x47c
Grafter

slightly off topic....
I can remember when we were sorting out a company wide deal for our company mobile phones (this is a large FTSE company).
One of the prime requirements we put in the spec' was that we should be given a number to ring in the mobile organisation that bypassed all the public numbers with their customer relationship advisors and their rubbish scripts. So that the designated person from our IT dept could talk direct to a person with some degree of authority in the mobile phone organisation to getwhatever was the problem fixed.
We were simply not prepared to have our staff spending their time on the phone to some indian/whatever call centre being given the run around as its called who seem to hope the problem either goes away or they are not on shift when it comes back.
Surprise, surprise; being a big company with a big contract to place we got it.
Community Veteran

Had two calls the other day, if you assume my name is Fred Bloggs, they both insisted on calling me Mr Fred, presumably they have their surname first in India, as they do in other Far Eastern Countries. Even after correcting them both twice, I was still Mr Fred !!
One Indian op was calling themself Simon, the other Steve !

PlusComUK
That's just culturally insensitive  Angry
Of course they know what a surname is, but it is polite in a number of eastern cultures to use the first name with a Mr especially when the addressee is "older"  Shocked
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Infinity
Pro

When speaking to a UK based company, you expect to be addressed with UK conventions, and not by someone posing as a UK person.
Simon or Steve !
If they are using their own name convention, doesn't that defeat the object of pretending to be UK based, apart from the accent giving the game away of course.
" Even after correcting them both twice, I was still Mr Fred !! "
It was their inability to listen to what I said, and to work "off script" that was bad .....
SKY Customer Services incoming call don't forget. They rang me.
Typically... Sheffield, where's that ? Can you spell it please !
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The main point, of course, is this...

"The problem with most of these companies is the Indian call centres. We don't understand what their saying, they don't understand us. They often have no idea how to deal with your problem, are on the other side of the world, often rude, keep transferring you around and make promises they never keep."

PlusNet in my experience have NEVER had any of the above problems in dealing with myself.
As the ad says "Good Old Yorkshire Folk"
I'm sure you know what I mean.
Infinity
Pro

I was with TalkTalk a few years back, it took forever to amend the user to two people on the account.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

er um Sky now have a Sheffield call centre  http://skycustomercentres.com/sheffield/
Infinity
Pro

Thanks, I have seen that before.
They rang me, Indian blokes with heavy accents and NO listening skills at all.
Infinity
Pro

With all this TalkTalk talk, and how great some posters think it is, I did a speed check on
http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/

What speed can I get?
Postcode:
Telephone number:
No telephone number?
Please be aware that if you use the speed checker, TalkTalk may call you to discuss your broadband requirements.

Check speed

True to their word, they rang me today, "As I had contacted TT, did I wish to discuss my phone or broadband services ?"
Memo to self: I must read all the words, even though on my two bowsers I cannot see most of them !
So be aware, don't use their speed checker !
In my case, it was only between 8mb/s & 14mb/s max, non guaranteed !
Fixes: 125

I used their speedchecker but, thankfully, never received a call back. I did eventually ring them for some further info some of which they were able to give while others I searched their forums.
When I did ring and they asked for my telephone to confirm what speeds I could get I confirmed the call was being recorded and then clearly stated that the call did not mean I wanted to move but was just enquiring at this stage as I am very happy with my current provider. (Heard those rumours that some people have had their connection 'hijacked' simply by making enquiries)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still