cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of moving house?

johpal
Grafter

Thinking of moving house?

Just to lighten the mood a little, with all the awful things going on around the world.
From the Which? website:
Prospective buyers will soon be able to see what internet speed they can expect as Rightmove, the UK’s largest property website, has worked with BT to list the speeds of over one million homes.
Predictably, Rightmove will also record whether houses have access to BT’s exclusive 40Mbps Infinity broadband service, which is currently rolling out to homes throughout the UK.

If anybody can afford to move house at the moment, would the available broadband speed be a serious consideration?  Huh
14 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Thinking of moving house?

Yes
It would just be another requirement on the list, like bedrooms, size of kitchen, schools, shops etc. Just a matter how they are weighted. For me I would weight broadband speed as 1 and a good pub in walking distance 100  Smiley
Community Veteran

An estate agent friend tells me that broadband availability and speed is often one of the first questions asked.
nadger
Rising Star

When, a few weeks ago, BBC Look East had a week about broadband speeds there were instances quoted where people had lost sales or rentals because of low broadband speeds at the property.
Community Veteran

Yup, it's top of my list of priorities.
B.
nadger
Rising Star

As the last time that we sold & purchased properties was in 1985 it just shows how things have changed.
Close proximity to local station & good local schools were important and we got previous owners to pay for gas to be installed to the house.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And still they do NOT include, how much the council tax is for the particular property.... it is a question that prospective purchasers have to ask. usually via the local authority ... to get the answer to.... as it is never included in the vendors particulars
another thing I would like to see added to the list...
An approx costing for the utilities..... Gas, Electric, and Water Rates should also be included..... to give the future owners a "rough guide" to  " running costs"....
After all, if you go to buy a car.... you get a guide as to how much servicing costs, how many mpg it does. etc.... why not houses...?
( and before someone jumps down my throat.... I did say "APPROX"... as I realise that each person will have different usages.... the "energy graphs" do not show "cost" but only an estimate of the "efficiency"... )
johpal
Grafter

@shutter You obviously never sold, or bought a property when HIPS were a pre-requisite. When I sold my late mother's house, the HIPS document was 64 pages thick and included all the required information. From the buyer's solicitors questions, it was obvious, nobody took a blind bit of notice of the wretched document, that cost me £400 to have produced.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Correct !  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Go on, admit it - you still think HIPS are something to be admired on the opposite sex  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess broadband speed would be a top priority for anyone running a business from home.
No doubt older children (and some adults) might want faster broadband for on line gaming.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Fast broadband is a high priority for me, am actually considering relocating overseas.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We are looking to move and decent broadband speed is on the list of requirements.
As a seller the rock solid 8MB I have (it's never been anything but that) is a help (our exchange is still 20CN).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Honestly wouldn't bother me. I'm happy on a dongle.. the SO relies on a landline connection though.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Quote from: itsme
a good pub in walking distance 100  Smiley

You would have to factor in the return journey which could be a considerably greater distance  Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation