cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of going to Prague

Community Veteran

Thinking of going to Prague

I'm thinking of going to Prague for a few days in October.
We're planning on taking our 3 kids (6,4 and will be 10 months).
I've chosen Prague as I've heard good from a lot of people and you can get good flights from East Midlands (will cost about £200).
Whats accomodation like there? Any recomendations, but i'm looking for something cheap yet safe enough for a family.
Is it easy to get to and from the airport?
Chris
7 REPLIES
photoynnad
Dabbler

Re: Thinking of going to Prague

I am going in September, staying at THe KinG George/U Krale Jiriho in Praha---Stare Mesto.
It is very reasonable, in a good location near Charles Bridge and you can book on the net through Intercta Travel. They can I think arrange transport from the airport.
Photoynnad
LiamM
Grafter

I *love* Prague.  In the last two years, I've been 7 times.
RE Accommodation, I stay in a fairly comfortable Hostel - but I'm sure you dont want to be doing that as a family.  Look for a budget hotel and opt for one near a relatively touristy area.  Like near the Old Town Square (Staromestke Namesti) or Wenceslas Scquare (Vaclavske Namesti) (sp?) - something like that.
As long as you've got your wits about you, I've found it perfectly safe.  Naturally, these eastern european cities all have their own dark sides however, though ive heard stories, i've never encountered a problem in all the time I was there.  Apart from being pestered to attend a strip joint and someone attempting to flog me some cannabis. 
But enough of that : Prague is quite simply one of the most beautiful cities you'll ever visit.  There is plenty to do, the food is absolutely superb and its so cost effective.
RE getting into Prague from the airport, it depends how much hassle you are up for :-)  My preferred method is to get a Bus (last time I went it was the 119) to Dejvicka Metro station.  This is the station at the end of the Green Metro line.  Bus journey to here is about 15minutes.  Then - I hop on the Metro (underground) which takes you right into the city centre and beyond.  A travel ticket for a week costs about £6 and gives you unlimited use of busses, metro, trams.
Do not get a random taxi at the airport or anywhere else.  If you don't fancy the bus / metro option with the family, consider the 'Cedaz' or other reputable shuttle into Prague.  Your hotel may well be able to advise, but there are official tourist information booths at the airport arrivals area.
Give this thread a read :-
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53491
paulby
Grafter

Just to back up what others have said - Prague is a fantastic place to spend a few days but definitely don't use a random taxi from the airport (or anywhere for that matter).  For our airport transfer we used this lot, who were fantastic.  We also used the trams extensively as they were cheap and efficient.  Tram tickets - which also get you on the buses and the underground, can be bought from newsagents and corner shops ( the guy that picked us up from the airport took us to get some on our way in!). 
As for accommodation - go for a good hotel as they're relatively cheap.  We stayed in a "three star" which was pretty basic but clean and comfortable.  If I'd known though, I'd have gone for a 4 or 5 star as the price difference wasn't that great.
Dusty
Grafter

Prague is the best city break iv ever had. I recommend the place before it starts going up in price .
http://www.dustysworld.net/photogallery/PragueFeb2007/
pcoventry76
Grafter

we have been a few times we stayed at the hotel otta - which is on the tram route and out the way - the food is lovely there their spag bowl is literally a massive bown of it i couldnt eat it all and im a big eater
plus the receptionist had a lovely set - and she shows them off too another good reason  Grin
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: pcoventry76
plus the receptionist had a lovely set - and she shows them off too another good reason  Grin

There's another reason to take a 'sightseeing' trip to Eastern Europe :-)  :-P
pcoventry76
Grafter

hehe theres a website with lots of webca girls on 98% of them live in cechz republic, man its awesome lol
sorry canne spell the first bit :p

Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of preceding post - it is not needed and is a breach of the Forum Rules