cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of coming back.

Community Veteran

Thinking of coming back.

Has much changed ? Been with Origin for the past two years without a problem but .......

My service was moved to their "improved" servers this morning, I lost connection and had to reconnect with a different username - all worked apart from my speed was cut to 40/10 from 80/20 and my Static IP has changed 5 times since this morning ..... just been on hold for an hour after which time my mobile decided to reboot itself ! Not too impressed with the one time I've needed to make a support call in two years !

I see Quidco are doing an £85 cashback to rejoin PN which makes it a little more tempting but not having spent much time on the forums here wanted to see how things have been recently.

15 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Thinking of coming back.

Do you want the truth ?

Majority of times its Ok   until you need support Roll eyes they are very thin on the ground of late , phone call waiting time is a favorite moan on here , the Live Chat was removed for a while because lack of Staff Undecided

and still awaiting the Famous new billing system Lips are sealed

and i presume you have read the forum , you will have seen several posts about messed up orders becoming regular too

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Ordered-6-weeks-ago-and-not-heard-anything/m-p/1480247#M4346

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Can't recall when it happened - possibly around the time you left - but raising a ticket is now restricted to the following topics:

Anything else and prepare for a long wait.  Sad

The good news is that there are still many knowledgeable and helpful customers (and a few staff) on the forums.  Smiley

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

It will be fine.

As long as nothing goes wrong.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Really @198kHz? While live chat is down they can at least add a “For all other questions” link as that is quite narrow set of subjects.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

@Alex  Are you saying that they can, or that they do?

The last time I raised a ticket outwith the narrow subject range, I just got a message back saying it couldn't be answered, and requesting that I use Chat or phone.

Not young enough to know everything
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

198kHz wrote:

Can't recall when it happened - possibly around the time you left - but raising a ticket is now restricted to the following topics:

The last time I raised a ticket was for something not included on your list above (but unfortunately is only relevant to a minority of users).  Wink

It was to join the PN FTTP Trial  Smiley

Help Assistant

Ask a question or view your answers

FTTP Trial (Fibre To The Premises)

Max Premium (Faster upload speeds)

Community Veteran

I still don't understand why you can't just pick your ISP on the day - why on earth do we have to go it by the month or contract term?

When you use one of those call abroad numbers you don't have to subscribe to them for a fixed term, you just dial the number and then the foreign number you want.

You don't have to subscribe to a supermarket or mars bar either.

This whole flaming "you must be with us for x months" saga that the broadband, gas, electricity and phone providers use is a flaming scam.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yep exactly @7up, this is why contracts annoy me. I think I have mentioned this in the past in previous posts Tongue

Fair enough, I can see why companies want a guaranteed revenue stream and stable business model, and some people who are comfortable in their own homes and have no planning on leaving anytime soon (like me now), but back when I was younger renting places for a year when I was a student, for 3 years. The last thing you'd want is an 18 month contract. The landlord/landlady could give you notice to leave if they want to sell the property for example. So you might not even be there for a year and have a hefty bill. Mind you back then it was easier, because we only used a 56k modem with dial-up, so a contract wasn't a problem - just the call costs and you taking up the landline if someone else wanted to use it Smiley

Yes you might be able to get it transferred via the same company, but what if you couldn't. I think I have seen this before with mobile companies, but I think the business model should be "If you're prepared to stay with us, you can get a cheaper monthly rate", but "If your circumstances mean you can't commit to that, then you should pay a bit more". 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've a few broadband links for home, business and holiday homes. A couple of years ago they were all Plusnet. Now only one of these is PlusNet. The bulk of my services are now with Zen Internet. The underlying service provider for the connection is Openreach in both cases. Zen has a slightly higher monthly price than PlusNet standard prices.

Why did I make the move? The primary motive to move was PlusNet's under-investment in support. If there's a service problem expect a long wait on the phone. Once you've got through don't expect someone to own the problem. This is not a short term problem, which shows it is deliberate management policy, otherwise PN would have fixed those problems. PlusNet management is using the Ryanair business model,

With Zen I've found services are delivered when promised. Their accounting system works properly. If I need technical advice they answer the phone promptly and follow through.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Alex wrote:

mobile companies. 

See, perfect example. You can PAYG for your internet / phone with a mobile company, have multiple sim cards etc... so why can't we have similar on the landline for our phones and internet?

This contract malarky is done deliberately to make life hard for customers. Oh yes we have freedom to move.. as long as you can meet your contractual obligations that the ISPs are never for some reason held to by the authorities..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair

Yes with ISP's you're lucky you can move elsewhere.

I've had to ring HMRC twice today, and twice about 18 months ago.

The first of the 18 month calls took over an hour to not get answered so I gave up. The following day it took around 40 mintues (I think listening to the same hold music for that long gave me nightmares!).

Today they got answered quite quickly, guess it is not a busy time at the moment.

I just hate those phone systems, where you have to speak some words and not press buttons for the options. It is OK in you're at home, but I find it a bit embarassing if you're in the office Tongue

They use the old line while you're waiting "Did you can do x on-line". Grrr. "Feel like saying yes I know I can [-Censored-]ing can do, but I can't hence why I am ringing". Roll eyes

Only way to move from HMRC is to move abroad Smiley

Fixes: 124

@Alex I tend to say any old rubbish to the automated systems and eventually get a message that tells me something like "Sorry, I can't understand what you are saying. I will now put you through to a human being"Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes I guess it is like a lives system, you probably get 3-5 to deliberately get it wrong and then the system gives up and puts you through to a human Smiley

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Whether the system requires me to press a key or say a word, there is never an option for what I want.  I said "contract" on a call to BT when they first introduced this system, but the word was not recognised.  The same was the case with "cancel".

We do have a choice between a 12/18 month contract and a rolling monthly one with PN.  The longer one is cheaper, and often includes a 'free' router, the cost of which is presumably recouped by keeping you for the 12/18 months.