cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking computer

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thinking computer

How far away are we from a genuine thinking computer, by that I mean a computer that demonstrates awareness and has the ability to make rational decisions based on correct facts ?
18 REPLIES
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Thinking computer

Slightly further away  than we are from being able to define  1) how we think, 2) what it means to be self aware 3) what we mean by rational.
Community Veteran

ibm is working on one.  saw a snippet of news somewhere about it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: wisty
Slightly further away  than we are from being able to define  1) how we think, 2) what it means to be self aware 3) what we mean by rational.

Self Awareness means conscious knowledge of one's own character, feelings etc  Ref: Oxford Dictionary.
Rational means based on reason or logic. Able to think sensibly or logically  Ref: Oxford Dictionary.
How we think is not really relevant to the question but there is plenty of information available on this topic.  I accept no published research currently exists that gives a clear explination of how we think.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
How far away are we from a genuine thinking computer, by that I mean a computer that demonstrates awareness and has the ability to make rational decisions based on correct facts ?

Don't go there!  or it will be a case of Terminator any one?
Community Veteran

I don't actually think artificial intelligence will ever exist to the point of being truly self aware.
Any machine that would even get near it is going to be running software of some sort that has been coded. I don't really think you can code 'awareness' into something personally. Sure you can create routines which analyse things but to actually be self aware is something completely different. How for instance, do you code it so that it is aware of its own code and how it works? - in reality you can't.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Hmmm this is the kind of topic I like.
We are stereotypically scared of a 'superior' artificial intelligence without foundation, fuelled by the likes of the aforementioned Terminator.
There's no need as we'll always be in ultimate control with a finger on the ELCB. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Earth leakage circuit breaker ? - Whats that got to do with it?
No, I say its written in the bios and the mobo which listens for digital communications via radio. One code (or just to be safe the deactivation of a 'enable' signal) and the mobo simply shuts down. Problem sorted. The machines can become as clever as they want but as long as the basic sub OS code is still alive they're doomed the moment they turn on us... Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
I don't actually think artificial intelligence will ever exist to the point of being truly self aware.
Any machine that would even get near it is going to be running software of some sort that has been coded. I don't really think you can code 'awareness' into something personally. Sure you can create routines which analyse things but to actually be self aware is something completely different. How for instance, do you code it so that it is aware of its own code and how it works? - in reality you can't.

Not so sure about that ! Humans are coded in 2 main ways genetically and enviromentally.
A  genuine Thinking computer would consist of what we accept as a computer but linked to living brain cells ( The creation of various kinds of living cells is at an advanced stage) so forget about the terminator stuff just think about your ordinary type of computer linked to artifically created brain cells sitting on your desk. The sensors for the brain cells would be via your computer.
Thats all for now.......must get back to the Laboratory.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
..... by that I mean a computer that demonstrates awareness and has the ability to make rational decisions based on correct facts ?

Don't think this applies to humans either  Wink.
Community Veteran

so we end up with a computer that's brighter than most humans.............so I guess it will soon be here.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or to some of the cretins who post on this forum = runs away to hide
Fixes: 47

It's a fascinating subject and one in which intense research continues.
Phrases such as 'If you can understand it you can design a machine to do it' abound.
However we still don't fully understand the workings of the human brain and it has been said that an intelligence is incapable of design that exceeds it's own.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

It'll probably be the day we develop a programme which can itself create a new programme which in turn can create a programme and so on until a programme is written which can alter it's own programming based on what it "thinks" is needed.  I don't think true AI is something a human can develop, we would put our own definition of intelligence into the work, a computer on the other hand could programme a programme which can "think" maybe, it's just how do we make a programme that can programme, and if we develop a programme which eventually develops a programme that can re-write it's own code we'll end up in major trouble.
Community Veteran

But if we design a computer that matches the intelligence of the top 1 percent of humans that makes it more intelligent than the remaining 99 percent.
We also need to remember that many humans are creative and constantly seek to increase their knowledge, if there is no limit to this then in theory we will achieve the majority of things that seem impossible today.
It was not long ago in our history that everyone (irrespective of intellect) thought the sun circled the earth or that only birds could fly. I even remember the arguement that said computers could only reach a certain size because the amount of power required to run the valves would require a small power station !