Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about recycling?

idonno
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thinking about recycling?

Wonder if the UK would ever do this

£41000 fine and he had to retrieve his fridge from the bottom of the cliff as well. We could do with some fines like that round here.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
16 REPLIES 16
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Thinking about recycling?

@idonno 

Indeed, but how many of us can afford a fine like that, especially those the would resort to dumping because they cannot afford to pay somebody to take it away. No excuse of course, but just saying as lets face it, if Spain is anything like here it's becoming increasingly difficult to dispose of stuff like fridges, washing machines and the like.

In Carmarthenshire where we are it will cost you twenty five smackers to have 'bulky waste' collected from your home, and our nearest recycling centre (the dump) is a 45 mile round trip for us - and don't forget that ID paperwork check either otherwise now you'll be turned away. Daft as well is that the one in the neighbouring county of Ceredigion (which I am not allowed to use) is 'only' a twenty mile round trip! 

As said no excuse, and fly tippers are just the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned but far more provision needs to be made for waste disposal and lets not forget either, many of us are already paying painfully high Council tax as it is.  

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

In view of the additional pollution caused by driving the extra mileage, would it not be sensible to allow residents to use the nearest tip, even if it's in another local authority?  Something for your AM perhaps.

My council used to collect and dispose of fridges and freezers free of charge, but now charge £25 per fridge/freezer.  They charge £40 for a collection of up to eight bulky items.  The items have to be of a size and weight that two men (what, no women?!) can carry.

There was talk a few years ago of making it a legal obligation for manufacturers to take back products that had reached the end of their useful life.  I know some companies, as a goodwill gesture, take back old household items when supplying new ones, e.g. the company that supplied my cooker.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Paying the Council to collect and dispose of your large items, you’re also paying the Council to retrieve, collect and dispose of large items formerly belonging to those who wouldn’t pay....

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Some idiot ( or maybe an accountant ) from our local council said a few years ago that it was cheaper to clean up the fly-tipping than to allow waste sites to accept everything ! the ironic thing is a recent panorama program found that much of the stuff that gets fly-tipped is stuff that has been handed over by local councils to authorised disposal companies ( they found it is simple to get a licence you can do it online ) - so we pay the council to collect the rubbish, they then pay shonky contractors to take it away ( fly tip it somehwere ) and the council then pays ( using council taxpayer money ) contractors to clean it up - rubbish seems like a licence to either make money ( if you are a contractor ) or waste money ( if you are a council ).

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@wotsup 

You can indeed get a licence (register) on-line but you would be hard put in to avoid beeing tracked afterwards given the details they need, and that they are available to the public. And would it be more secure if you had to do it in person, I'm not so sure to be honest.

Anybody fly-tipping is not going to bother registering either way, they'll just collect and dump. Knuppel

As for those that use an unregistered waste carrier, I think they can be fined (as they should be) as well.

idonno
Pro

@Minivanman wrote: In Carmarthenshire where we are it will cost you twenty five smackers to have 'bulky waste' collected from your home, and our nearest recycling centre (the dump) is a 45 mile round trip for us - and don't forget that ID paperwork check either otherwise now you'll be turned away. Daft as well is that the one in the neighbouring county of Ceredigion (which I am not allowed to use) is 'only' a twenty mile round trip!

ID paperwork? How's that work. In Lincolnshire, I can go to any without any ID. Sure, they do grab your number plate as you drive in but apart from the one bin limitation on rubble (it was getting a little crazy to see obvious builders and the like, emptying their full trailers into the skip) and no tyres, I can take what I like. Why you differentHuh

I've paid for the council to take stuff away but it was a no brainer really. Why struggle to get the stuff in the car when its just dump it out on the allotted pick up day and away it goes. But if I had to travel 45miles, well maybe I'd be thinking of other routes too! Mine is a 10 mile round trip and they are always very helpful when I get there.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

https://www.carmarthenshire.gov.wales/home/council-services/recycling-bins-and-litter/recycling-cent...

Residency checks will be carried out, so you will need to have one of the following with you to show to the attendant at the site entrance:

• Driving licence
  • Your current Council Tax bill
  • A utility bill, (no older than 3 months)
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

There is also a restriction on the type of trailer you can use.

Two wheels good, four wheels bad. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

if Spain is anything like here it's becoming increasingly difficult to dispose of stuff like fridges, washing machines and the like.

Washing machines are easy - along with microwaves. Any metal collector will have them.

It's fridges and freezers nobody will touch because they have to be treated by having the gas sucked out and stored. What the councils don't realise is that if they did this themselves they'd have more metal to sell.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@7up 

That being the case then it's a puzzle why so many of both are to be found dumped at the dump. So where are these metal collectors?

No Steptoe and Son around here that's for sure. Tongue

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

Re council collection of fridges and other bulky items;

Several years ago I needed to dispose of a fridge-freezer so I visited the council website to organise collection.  I think the cost was about £20 but I'm fairly sure I read that people on certain benefits could get the service FoC, although I can't remember the details of which benefits they were.

Having checked a few minutes ago it appears that is no longer the case with my council, but it might be worth bearing in mind for others to check if your own council offers those concessions if in receipt of the right benefits.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

No mention of such on the Carmarthenshire web site, but I'll check it out the next time I have a dump. Thumbs Up

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@7up wrote:

It's fridges and freezers nobody will touch because they have to be treated by having the gas sucked out and stored. What the councils don't realise is that if they did this themselves they'd have more metal to sell.

It may be the gas, but a lot of fridges and freezers fail because the gas has leaked out anyway, but the other thing is that fridges consist pretty much of a lot of plastic, much of it expanded polystyrene which is pretty much impossible to recycle.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman 

Maybe you could check it out on the new smart phone tomorrow morning while you're having a dump!  Grin