cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things to do in the New Year

Anonymous
Not applicable

Things to do in the New Year

As The New Year is almost here there are a few things I am going to do.

Set up a Power of Attorney granting my daughter the authority to look after my finances if ill-heath means I no longer can.

Review my investment funds and transfer part of the actively managed funds eg Fundsmith/Lindsell Train UK & Global to tracker funds after the Neil Woodford problems lucky I transferred with a profit before the fund was closed .

Brian A 

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Re: Things to do in the New Year

I am going to wake up every morning,.... ( I hope )... and enjoy the day, whatever it brings, as best I can.

at the end of the day.,... I shall go to bed. to sleep....( forever, if that be the case) ... but if not,.... then I shall have to get up again the next morning to do the same as I did yesterday...

Most importantly,  not worrying about the future... because. yesterday, is tomorrow`s past...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Nothing planned... other than celebrating British Independence Day on the 31st of January.

Cheers.🍻

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For me, it's simple; Survival...

Living on universal credit, suffering chronic depression and being told there's "nothing wrong" by the Maximus employees at the Work Capability Assessments, and of course the rising costs and dwindling income, it is pretty much a survival situation, though not quite the Bear Grylls drinking urine level, well not yet at least!! 🤢

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

Sorry to hear all of that, but as somebody on a basic income as well one of the things we do is keep close tabs on monthly payments all of which seem to creep up. Wants and needs are the watch words here and decisions have to be made between paying for something like an Amazon subscription (and dare I say it paying Plus net) or those payments we cannot avoid such as gas and electric.

Hope you have a better year than 2019 even if for some it could not be any worse.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Anonymous wrote:

As The New Year is almost here there are a few things I am going to do.

Set up a Power of Attorney granting my daughter the authority to look after my finances if ill-heath means I no longer can.

Review my investment funds and transfer part of the actively managed funds eg Fundsmith/Lindsell Train UK & Global to tracker funds after the Neil Woodford problems lucky I transferred with a profit before the fund was closed .

Brian A 

@Anonymous I suggest you also consider a LPA to cover your health and welfare. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Finish off all the bottles of wine I bought at Christmas.😛

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Sorry to hear all of that, but as somebody on a basic income as well one of the things we do is keep close tabs on monthly payments all of which seem to creep up. Wants and needs are the watch words here and decisions have to be made between paying for something like an Amazon subscription (and dare I say it paying Plus net) or those payments we cannot avoid such as gas and electric.

Hope you have a better year than 2019 even if for some it could not be any worse.

Indeed, I only have two direct debits set up, PlusNet for internet and Three for mobile, I've no interest in paying a subscription to watch adverts or to have the latest and (allegedly) greatest shiny phone, so my outgoings are relatively small, but, the incomings are getting smaller by the year it seems, once gas & electric is paid for (via PAYG smart metering), food is bought and appointments attended, there's very little left for anything else...

What I do have left I buy things from ebay & Banggood to keep my sanity, presently in the process of building a small bench variable power supply, as I can't afford a ready-made one, using bits acquired over the past couple of years, all just to keep me from going completely barmy...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

At the risk of stating the obvious there is far too big a gap between what those at the top get to live on in retirement and those at the bottom.

There should be a realistic minimum sum paid to all those who are retired including those retired on health grounds, a sum that would rise in line with inflation like the current state pension.

What is a realistic sum ? I have no idea other than it should be well above what is being paid now.

Many people through no fault of their own are in serious financial trouble caused by either the government changing the rules or scammers stealing pension funds.

I was fortunate to retire before any of these changes took place but I know many who have lost out along with others on such low wages they can save nothing for a pension.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I would suggest most people living on just a state pension manage well enough, it's those of working age and maybe on benefits that seem to be hardest hit by a government that hell bent on making sure they have a job even when one no longer exists and if does, leaves you on the precipice of poverty paying 💩wages for a 💩job with long hours.

Glad to have gotten out the rat race early with mortgage paid, but it was a close call.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

For me, after the fun and games I've had this year .. I won't be celebrating the new year.

I will be celebrating the end of 2019 becauase quite frankly for me it can [-Censored-] right off.

Got to get a job, and I might have to watch say like Australia's celebrations on the news tomorrow. They're lucky they get to say goodbye to it before we do!

Can't even remember the time difference out there, which is bad as I went to Sydney in 2005, got to be about +12. I'm going to have to Google this now as I can't remember.

Oooh I am impressed, nearly got that right, +11. "Sydney NSW, Australia is 11 hours ahead of United Kingdom". Only one out.

I'll put the news on at lunchtime tomorrow.

I would love to go back there again at some point as it was my best holiday ever.

I would like to do also some more travelling as all I did this year was go to a housemate from Uni's party (near the midlands where I studied), which was fine but I would like to go abroad next year at least.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

New year new opportunities @Alex 

You sound young enough and maybe with no wife and kiddies then having a job is the last thing you want.

Being a free agent as it were, what's the cost of a cheap flight to the land down under these days? Look forward not back, beg borrow steal or crowdfund some dosh and get yourself down there. 

Smoke pollution mask optional. 😃

PS My son bummed around Australia for a couple of years. Authorities lost track of him for that student loan, and he had the time of life... until they found out his visa had expired and he was obliged to head for home courtesy of the bank of mum and dad!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah pretty much spot on about no wife and kids and being 42 I don't feel young any more 😔

It's more sadly not having a job doesn't pay for my mortgage though, there is a chance something could be round the corner so I will keep following that up.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

I would suggest most people living on just a state pension manage well enough

Not sure about that.

A full state pension is £168.60 a week or £8,750 a year.

May sound a lot but after council tax, energy, water rates and the rest is deducted there Is not much left....if you have to pay rent then you are (censored) as there are a number of places in the country where that weekly pension would not even cover the rent.

I accept of course that some young people could be in a even worse situation and in particular if their job is not secure....perhaps the reason that mental health issues are increasing in the young.

I suspect many older people on this forum were in situations when younger where money was scarce but you could rely on people helping you out...often they did not have much themselves but most were in the same position...perhaps being brought up in such conditions there was a value placed on money, something that seems to be missing these days

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

As I've mentioned here before, the State Pension is kept low and topped up with other benefits for those without an occupational pension.  This begs the question:  Why bother paying into an occupational pension?  These other benefits have been reduced since the State Pension changed in 2016.  As reported in today's DM, many pension schemes have been illegal and the victims are now facing fines by the HMRC, who approved the schemes in the first place.