cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things not to do abroad

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Things not to do abroad

When you visit another country and can’t speak the language, your instinct is often to reply using actions to explain what you want. However, this can go horribly wrong... not all gestures are universal, and something very innocent could have a very different meaning in another country. Here are a few traps to avoid...

putting your thumbs up
Where to avoid doing it: Thailand
What it means in the UK: ‘I agree’ or ‘nice one!’ Or, if you’re standing on a roadside, ‘can I have a lift please...?’
What it means in Thailand: Na na na-na na. It’s basically the Thai equivalent of poking your tongue out at someone so it could be perceived as a very childish sign of condemnation. It is also considered to be an obscene gesture in Iraq and Iran.

More Here....http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3361594
2 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Things not to do abroad

I find some charming.
Especially these 2 normally found in Asia.
No pointing with fingers, instead they use the thumb in a sideways manner with the fingers closed.
When giving items to a person they will use both hands and if the item is too small to do this they will use one hand but the other will be gripping the wristof the giving hand.
Fixes: 125

Re: Things not to do abroad

Pointing with your finger, even giving directions, is considered rude in Ukraine.
Also, shaking hands/kissing over the door threashold is bad luck. It's also considered extremely rude not to accept food and drink if offered when visiting anyone's home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still