cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things just ain't what they used to be...

Fixes: 125

Things just ain't what they used to be...

After 12 years in these forums I am so disappointed how Chit Chat has degenerated over the last couple of weeks.
We did have a some blips a few months back but I thought we had got over it - alas, it seems not as yet another innocuous but fun thread has been pulled. What is even sadder is that the OP requested it to be pulled because he feared it could turn into yet another political rant. Even the thread about the other thread has been locked Huh
When ever things have got heated I've always tended to withdraw and that has worked for me but I have continued to read the threads.
Maybe this thread will turn into a back-biting political rant and get locked or pulled. Quite honestly I'm no longer bothered. Chit Chat is no longer the fun place it used to be and I don't want to take part in threads just to see them being locked or pulled. On this basis I'm taking a hiatus from Chit Chat.
I feel sad about it because I feel I have made some friends here but don't see what else I can do. Cry
I hope things return to how they should be but not holding my breath at this time  Cry Cry
Edit: I will continue to read the forums and if there is anything I can add to help someone with a problem I will Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Things just ain't what they used to be...

What can you do?... well, you are already doing it.... taking a break... and not getting involved...
Some people,seem to think that forums are for their own political or religious agenda... and see it as an anonymous way of stirring up conflict, then ( almost ) sitting back and watching how it pans out for their own ideals and pleasure from seeing "normally friendly" people at each other`s throats,....
The written (printed) word, can easily be misread/misinterpreted on forums..... and some people take advantage of this... couching their initial posts in (seemingly) innocent language, knowing that it can, and probably will, be mis understood.... when the OP gets hauled over the coals,.. he can quite legitimately say... " who me ? .... no ... I never intended it to be read that way.... not my fault... " even though he has presided over several postings/pages of responses without ever saying... "Hang on... I never meant that ..... "..
I don`t have any particular persuasion on political lines.... nor am I religious... and a long time ago, can`t remember when, but was often told not to discuss Politics or Religion, on the grounds that it could, and does, cause grief amongst those discussing it...
Hope you will, at least, join in with the more amusing posts, in the coming weeks/months, and hopefully the friendliness of Chit Chat will return....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sorry to hear that Mav, please keep reading and joining in.
As Shutter said, the written word is easily open to misinterpretation by both the reader and poster. Different things are important to different people, which can mean that someone gets excited about something that leaves you cold, and incessant posting is somewhat irritating. Think Victor Meldrew -funny up to a point, then just irritating.
Another problem with a textual forum is that there can be no inflection in what is said. We have smiley's -but they can only do so much. In a verbal discussion these inflections can turn a term of abuse into a humorous comment. We miss that here.
I do think that some people don't know when enough is enough and it is time to 'agree to disagree' as my dad used to say. Cry (crying smiley because he's dead - not that I miss him, but the sod owed me fifty quid when he died  Angry  Grin )
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: shutter

I don`t have any particular persuasion on political lines.... nor am I religious... and a long time ago, can`t remember when, but was often told not to discuss Politics or Religion, on the grounds that it could, and does, cause grief amongst those discussing it...

Was it in the RN?
In my time, it was always an unwritten rule that religion and politics were strictly off-limits as subjects for discussion in the Mess/Messdecks.
Seemed a very sensible rule to me.........
Community Veteran

I bowed out for a few days following the latest debacle but, I'm back now!
I kept on reading the forums but I wasn't logged in. I'm happy to say that I find it better now. Perhaps there has been some bans implemented (that's a comment, not a question).
Keep your eye on things Mav and come on back when you feel comfortable!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Heloman
Quote from: shutter

Was it in the RN?
In my time, it was always an unwritten rule that religion and politics were strictly off-limits as subjects for discussion in the Mess/Messdecks.
Seemed a very sensible rule to me.........

Yeah... . as you say... "an unwritten rule".... probably "instilled" into us as young recruits at Ganges/St.Vincent/Raleigh.. or wherever... !..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@'Mav' - your summary expresses closely how I have been feeling about this forum for some time.   Embarrassed
Already this year, for several reasons, I deliberately avoided getting involved with any forum discussions for about eight weeks, before returning for the past few months in the hope that I would want to contribute to conversations again.
Like you I just can't be bothered anymore, this forum has become depressing, the more interesting regulars have already gone, Plusnet has gone into not doing anything mode because they claim to have no resources,  and so many topics are now shouting matches where none of the participants are taking the time to read or understand what anyone else is saying.  I am also fed up with the many topics that now reference the Daily Mail as a source for supposed facts, and the many pointless questions that could be easily answered by using Google.
I'm with you 'Mav',  this will probably be my last post for a while, as I feel I have got to the point where I'm wasting my time here.
Cry
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: NedLudd
I bowed out for a few days following the latest debacle but, I'm back now!
I kept on reading the forums but I wasn't logged in. I'm happy to say that I find it better now.
Perhaps there has been some bans implemented (that's a comment, not a question).

Couldn't agree more !!
Report to moderator is a very useful facility...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There are some contributors , including myself, whose posts I never read nowadays because they are unreasonable.  Huh
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Yes it's good to see that the forum is back to normal with just the usual mild bickering.
Hope it doesn't get too quiet though. Smiley

Community Veteran

@Mav, sorry to hear your comments but I have to say I agree with you. We had a few 'bad apples' on the forums recently but all credit to the mods these have been sorted out by removing them or at least warning them. Hopefully things will get back to normal again now.
NedLudd, welcome back again.
PitchBlack
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
We had a few 'bad apples' on the forums recently

This is the most ridiculous forum I have ever been on, someone writes something that another person disagrees with or doesn't like and they are classed as a "bad apple".
Too many egotistical people on here who think that their argument is the only one that counts.
Community Veteran

Never mind...... there are other forums, where they are even more rediculous...  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I had some bad onions.
Looked good hard and solid but under about four layers they were all brown and soft.
So they were more browndiculous than rediculous. Smiley
Community Veteran

Well, that`s no skin off my nose  Grin