Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things can only get better

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Things can only get better

IMG_20170111_0001_NEW.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
24 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Things can only get better

You joke but back in the early 2000's I went door to door in my small village in the fens (Cambridgeshire) to get signatures for people wanting broadband installed. BT wouldn't install anything without proof of interest (my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think it was about 200 signatures) so we were stuck with dialup until around 2003 when we finally convinced them that our area was worth installing BB capable services.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Someone in our area years ago was trying to get people to sign up for satellite broadband, not sure what that was about or even if it existed but someone might have more details.

Minivanman
Hero

Never came across it in the UK but they were touted by the private sector in France where outlying communes -and there are lot of them - could sign up for a scheme if the Mayor was 'on board' so to speak. The government made a big chest puffing noise a few short years ago about how 90% of the population was covered by first rate high speed broadband 'forgetting' to mention that most of it lived in either Paris, Lyon or Toulouse. The païsant were regarded much like here, an inconvenient and over demanding nuisance.

There is or at least was a government assist scheme here in the UK where an individual satellite dish installation would be paid for (costing around £400 I think) - but the customer is left with a higher monthly bill. The proviso (for proviso read cop-out) was that it was only available if BT had no plans to install broadband in your area before the end of 2017?.

All nonsense of course as we were excluded from applying because BT had declared that our area would have it up and running by March 2014 - and guess who is still waiting.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't living in rural areas all part of the charm of being cut off from civilisation? I think the opening post was spot on with those empty tin cans, you don't want to confuse our rural friends with too much technology too quickly. Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Well there's rural and there's rural I suppose.

We face open countryside opposite a farm, yet only a short walk from the main road (if you can call it that) and a bus route into either Cardigan or Carmarthen. Brought up in London so this is retirement heaven for us..... apart from the crappy broadband, and one that struggles to get to 5mbs. Even that bus gets a faster internet speed. Crazy2  

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Ah now I understand the situation. Do I care? Um.., No! Grin 

I'm enjoying my superfast fibre with 38 Mbps thank you - maybe you should move?

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Back in 1999 I think it was, Nildram had advertisements in the computer press inviting people to express interest in their planned 'superfast' ADSL service which was going to cost £39.99 for 2Mbps (no download limit mentioned I don't think).  I remember talking to someone who worked in the computer industry at the time, and he claimed it would not be possible to send data and voice calls along the same line simultaneously.

Community Veteran

MKSlinky wrote:

...I'm enjoying my superfast fibre with 38 Mbps thank you ...

While the farmer's wife Chris Condor who helped set up the Rural Broadband B4RN now enjoys 1 Gbps symmetric broadband with a 5 ms latency for the exorbitant fee of £30/month and no phone line charges.in her remote Lancashire farm house.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Jonpe wrote:

Back in 1999 I think it was, Nildram had advertisements in the computer press inviting people to express interest in their planned 'superfast' ADSL service which was going to cost £39.99 for 2Mbps (no download limit mentioned I don't think).  I remember talking to someone who worked in the computer industry at the time, and he claimed it would not be possible to send data and voice calls along the same line simultaneously.

Oh how times have changed...! Similarly when I got my first computer from a neighbour of mine an Olivetti 486 DX 266MHz it had a 3 Gig hard drive, my work colleagues were so envious!! Ticked off

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

AlaricAdair wrote:

MKSlinky wrote:

...I'm enjoying my superfast fibre with 38 Mbps thank you ...

While the farmer's wife Chris Condor who helped set up the Rural Broadband B4RN now enjoys 1 Gbps symmetric broadband with a 5 ms latency for the exorbitant fee of £30/month and no phone line charges.in her remote Lancashire farm house.

Yes one might enjoy that added speed when looking at sheep photos. Grin

gtbigfoot
Hooked

Also in the fens, we have some village folk here who can't get broadband at all! Mobile comms are limited to about 1G with a fair wind, and buses.....oh, no, we don't have those here - they all died out a few years ago, when the post office shut and the banks all closed up, and Tesco turned our nearest towns high street into charity shop street!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@gtbigfoot

Yes I know what you mean, this has happened up and down the length and breadth of the country. It seems the big supermarkets might be convenient but at what cost? I live in Milton Keynes which isn't a huge town by any means but we have more than 22 supermarkets all within 10 minutes drive of each other and further proposed stores for the future.

Here's a list of our current choices:

3 x Asda's One of which is a massive superstore

4 x Sainsburys (one of which is empty but used as a homeless shelter because Sainsbury's refuse to sell it)

2 x Morrisons

1 x Waitrose

1 x M&S Foodhall

3 x Tescos One of which is a massive supestore + several mini stores

1 x Costco

2 x Iceland

2 x Aldi's

2 x Lidls

Several x CO-OP's

1 x Budgens

Not to mention all the other independent outlets. It seems we're a nation of foodaholics!! Oh and yes.., our cows are made of concrete!!

According to government figures...,  The population for Milton Keynes in 2016 is 264,400. (As estimated on previous years figures)

Makes my blood boil Ticked off If I had my way I'd demolish the lot of them and bring back good old fashioned local shops. We could use the old supermarket car parks and then we would all be happy. 

Community Veteran

Ah Milton Keynes, the land of aluminium phone lines.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
gtbigfoot
Hooked

Oh, I forgot to mention that - apparently, the Post Office robbed copper and replaced it with aluminium wire during the late 60's, early 70's, when the price of copper shot up (no idea whether this is true or not??), which is why we see BT Openreach vans on an hourly basis, running up and down our clapped out roads, trying desperately to keep up with the constant fracturing of the ali wire.

Apparently (but also not substantiated!), BT have somehow re-written the rule book, and are now allowed to replace failing copper or ali lines with ...  wait for it ...  copper plated aluminium wire!

Roll on FTTP!