cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thick Sliced Bread - A marketing CON ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thick Sliced Bread - A marketing CON ?

Over the past 6 months or so, our local Morrisons supermarket, seem to be conducting a sales con, with their own brand of Thick Sliced Bread.... it used to be in plentiful supply, four facings on the shelf, stacked up, and a couple of trays below, just in case.!....
recently (the past month or so,) I have had difficulty buying Morrisons Thick Slced bread.... why? only two facings on the shelf, and no "reserve stock" below.  and when asking staff, no supply in the back of the store... consequently by mid - day, it is SOLD OUT...
This morning I went to our local Morrisons at 08:30 to find 14 loaves as their display..... and today is the beginning of a Bank Holiday, when demand will undoubtedly be high......
The only time I can be (almost) certain to obtain 2 loaves is about 08:30 (ish) when the bread has just been stacked... maximum 20 loaves .
If the bread is sold out, there are many other brands available, but these are "premium grade" breads and have "premium prices"... As I am on a fixed low income. I have to watch the pennies.... it so happens that I particularly like the taste and texture of Morrisons bread, against the premium breads ...
The alternative as far as Morrisons is concerned is Morrisons EXTRA THICK or Morrisons TOASTY.... both of which I find tooooo thick for my sandwiches, or morning toast. (also you get less slices for your money!)
Thin sliced bread has not been on the shelf for years.... I wonder if it has been re-branded "medium sliced"  - it certainly seems that way when you try to butter it !....
so are Morrisons trying to manipulate the market, by using their stock control system to show there is no (or little) demand for their THICK sliced bread, because if it is not on the shelf , (sold out) then it will not show up as sales, and EXTRA THICK and TOASTY will show as an increased demand....
Morrisons do have an alternative supplier of similar quality and texture to their own brand,  (Rathbones) and they have a whole "end of gondola" stacked with it..... but again, there is NO THICK SLICED BREAD only EXTRA THICK and TOASTY versions....
Has anyone else noticed this in their local Morrisons?  If so , please send me a personal message telling me where you are , and where the Morrisons branch is... and any difficulties you have had with this THICK sliced bread supply problem.
Thank you.
The picture below shows the bread display at 08:30 this morning with the Morrisons THICK sliced bread highligted on the right hand end.....
29 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Thick Sliced Bread - A marketing CON ?

I can sell you two loaves of thick bread Just PM me, ( Steve rubs his hand's at the thought of a second income ) Wink
Fixes: 47

Maybe it's been to college and isn't thick any more....sorry Embarrassed Embarrassed
@Shutter didn't you get funny looks standing in Morrison's taking photos of shelves of bread Undecided Wink
Our local Tesco stocks plenty of thick sliced bread aimed at toast addicts...like me Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

@Shutter didn't you get funny looks standing in Morrison's taking photos of shelves of bread Undecided Wink

No I did not ... there were not many people around....
The comic remarks, whilst mildly amusing, are not particularly helpful, as I want to see if I can get a much wider view of this situation.
Community Veteran

I buy loaves of bread and slice to my requirements with a bread knife....  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 47

Sorry Shutter no offence intended Embarrassed Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it the cost of the other loaves, no doubt dearer, got nice one from Lidl last week made a a localish baker, cheaper than Sainbury, Tesco and Morrison
Steve
Pro

My apologies shutter.
Community Veteran

@strat, and Steve M    - noted  & accepted.  Wink
Community Veteran

I buy Sainsbury's Harvestgrain which is baked in store and delicious.  I cut the loaf myself on their self serve cutting machine.  Costs £1 for a large loaf.  It's taken me ages to get the store to get this right though.  Always running out of stock because it was 'so popular'.  I asked if it was popular why not sell more of it.  They seem to have got it right now. Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not buy thick-sliced and slice each one into two.
Two loaves (plus crumbs) for the price of one.  Grin Grin Grin

Lurker
Grafter

Because he can't - they don't have any stock. Sad
What he ought to do is request two loaves of thin sliced for the same price as a single loaf of thick sliced.
~~~
Seriously though, in comparison to other retailers, Morrisons are going through some turbulent times. They are experiencing massive growth, into areas and store formats they don't have huge experience in.
Across many many departments there is a tendency towards listing just about everything, hoping that customers will help guide the supermarket down the path they want.
Of course, the reality is that extra choice is good if you don't know what you want, but bad when what you do want is unavailable as per SKU stock levels have been reduced to allow a greater range of produce.
The downside is that if you substitute your first [unavailable] choice with something else, this fuels the 'more choice is better' argument.
I'm sure Morrisons will get it right in the end - they are offering massive salaries to attempt to attract the cream of retail in to help resolve their strategy. (A lot of IT jobs vacant too if anybody is interested...)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If you like thick sliced I find the FARMFOODS Hovis thick to be good for toast, at at £1 FOR TWO much cheaper than anywhere else.
nadger
Rising Star

Must say that we prefer uncut bread from Morrisons over Tesco bread.
Also their store baked Steak & Ale pies make a nice meal with veg, mash & gravy  Smiley
scootie
Grafter

shop at aldi's dude you get thick, thin, toasty all for a cheap cheap price.
We switched from sainsburys to aldi's a few months ago and are surprised that most the copycat brands they stock actually taste the same or better. there is the odd thing you wont buy again which for us is the bisto copycat there certainly is not no arrrr in that, but i was sat the other night with a big bag of there toritos cool (doritos) and found them to be better.
the BREAD is fine an dandy  (sorry hope the ducks didn't hear me shout that, dont want to get fined now) 
hope you get your bread issue raised with morrison's soon