Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

They've bent the only flying Sea Vixen

14 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: They've bent the only flying Sea Vixen

It's not bent, it's just kneeling before the god that is OldJim.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

If they repair it, will it ever be allowed to fly again? - The rules must be very strict over that sort of thing surely?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Bournemouth airport is one of the very few airports left that cater for enthusiasts and has a reasonably large viewing area (albeit not free, and for some reason the Porta-loo's have been removed) It is often used as a base for flying exhibits at air-shows around the south of England including the Bournemouth Air Festival. We have been lucky enough to be there when a Spitfire and Lancaster arrived for an overnight stay, doing a fly-past and short demonstration before landing. This was unannounced and there were fewer than a dozen spectators around to see it. We have also been around when the Red Arrows "parked" there prior to a show several times.  
Like any airport, any incident requires the attendance of the local fire brigade as back-up whether it has its own fire service or not (Bournemouth airport does) When working at Heathrow which has a very extensive fire and rescue service the local services were alerted as well and cost Heathrow in excess of £1000 if they rolled before stand-down. Interestingly the county borders of Surrey and Middlesex runs across Heathrow so both brigades were called.
I hope the DH110 flies again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Navy version of Vampire - one of my neighbours was National Service pilot and was killed in one when it crashed in Egypt.
Community Veteran

Well, they were both twin-boom layout but there the similarity ends, the DH110 was a completely new design and quite a lot larger than the Vampire, two seater the Vampire was single, twin engine where the Vampire was single, straight wing whereas the DH110 was swept. Think De Havilland would argue it was a navy version of the Vampire.
The DH110 did not have a happy life, one broke up during a display at a Farnborough Air Show.
Edit: actually it was a three seater in some versions, one crew member was "buried" inside with only a tiny window, and the reason the main cockpit was off-set to the port side.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Petlew
The DH110 did not have a happy life, one broke up during a display at a Farnborough Air Show.
I remember that happening. The engines went over the head of some guys I worked with at Ultra Electronics - they were at Farnborough on a freebie.
x47c
Grafter

The observer sat buried in a hell hole off to the starboard side
a high airframe loss rate as I recall and an even higher crew fatality rate within those losses
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from the 830 thread
Edit
the Vampire
end edit
Quote from: pierre_pierre
there are a few twin boom De Havilland  jets, Vampire, Vixen and Venom, plus the Sea versions
and the Gloster Meteor, the first British Jet Fighters
Venom

Vixon

Gloster meteor - straight wing, Hunter swept
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Farnborough_Airshow_DH.110_crash

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

In the photo of the Vixen above, it seems to have an odd second cockpit aft of where the "buried" crew member would be located. Not seen this before. It could be a trainer version or a "doctored" photo to confuse agents and spies. Or, is it a photo at all, or a very good artists impression, which can be very very good indeed.

Community Veteran

Uhmm! reference the photo, looking at it suggests that if a real photo it was flying upside down when it was taken to get a uniform grey (sky) background like that. Nope, my guess is that its not real but a very good impression. Also the upper wing outboard of the roundel seems slightly longer and narrower than the lower, which given that the view is slightly from the right (which only seems to affect the fins and rudders) the opposite would be true. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bah humbug. Aeronautic trainspotters.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

bet he wears a WW2 Jacket and has goggles round his neck
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Bah humbug. Aeronautic trainspotters.

I'll take that as a compliment then!!