cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They're back - with a vengeance!

Fixes: 125

They're back - with a vengeance!

You may remember my mouse problem from last year.
Well, we seem to have them back and, by the sound of it, more yet extremely elusive. So far they have evaded the traps and the poison.
They seemed to have brought some RAT friends with them as SWMBO has seen one or two in the garden plus, a couple of days ago, the nibbling noises from under the bath seemed much more aggressive and loud so I have assumed that was a rat.
We have bought extra traps and a couple of bigger ones for the garden with a bucket of water on hand. We are using little bits of chocolate covered in chocolate sauce as bait so lets hope we get them soon.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: They're back - with a vengeance!

Chocolate can be pulled off without the trap going off, use toffee or anything sticky they have to lick. long term go to your local cat shelter and get one, as winter gets near they look for some where warm to winter over in and your house is a ideal resort.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017

That's why we added the chocolate sauce as it's very sticky making it harder to grab the the actual bits of chocolate.
Getting a cat is not an option as I never want any pets ever again Roll eyes

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There is more to that last sentence than meets the eye  Wink
Fixes: 105

If there are rats, aren't the local council obliged to sort it out for you?
Will Moderate For Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've never had success with mouse traps with any kind of bait.
A problem with rats some years ago was quickly cured with standard traps baited with peanut butter.
Not young enough to know everything

Quote from: gleneagles
There is more to that last sentence than meets the eye  Wink

Tongue
It's a long story....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Only way you are going to stop them, is make you home unsafe for them e.g. a cat or plug every hole into your house.  Even then if they want in they will make one.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

It may be best to call in the experts such as Rentakill(?) and as previously mentioned some local authorities  still offer a service or can  recommend a company that may be able to help[.
Community Veteran

Yes they're coming back to my attic as well. Caught a small rat in a trap last night.
No problem catching them as they can't seem to resist a bit of a strawberry chew stuck to the business end of the trap.

Strawberry chew? as in Opal Fruits (can't bear the name Starburst Cheesy)

Community Veteran

Similar consistency and look but much bigger.
Something I found in the back of a cupboard and thought what shall I use this for. Smiley
Seems to last well. Even when the rats had been on their summer holidays they still went for it after a few months away.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: gleneagles
There is more to that last sentence than meets the eye   Wink

Tongue
It's a long story....
I Like long stories !  Wink

To cut a long story short:
When I lived with my ex-wife and her children they always had lots of pets. At one time they had 7 dogs, 6 cats, hamster and goldfish. It wasn't a big house (3 bed terrace) but a large garden. Apart from the cost there was the smell, restrictions on holidays, the mess and the girls rarely did their bit to look after them. As, one by one, they departed for that garden in the sky (the pets nots the girls) I refused to allow any more. Eventually I gave in and let my ex-wife have a dalmatian which chewed the kitchen in a new house to pieces.
After a rather acrimonious divorce (not about the pets, I must add) I vowed never again and have stuck to it. SWMBO wants a shih-tzu but I just will not cave in. Who will look after it when we go to Ukraine? Also don't want to take it with us wherever we go and wouldn't be fair to it to leave for hours on end alone. So far SWMBO sees my point of view Roll eyes
So there you have it - never again!

Community Veteran

@Mav, I know what you mean about pets.  I would love a dog but my lifestyle would make it impossible and unfair on me and the dog Smiley