cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They don't make them like that anymore!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

They don't make them like that anymore!

I'm just watching Aliens on 4+1 with Sigourney Weaver. It's a 1986 film.
Now something struck me tonight while watching this. They've gone to a LOT of effort to create landscapes, sets, details, props etc. Most of it looks pretty realistic too!
Now today despite having all this computer CGI I can't help but feel I'm being cheated! Sure we get great specialFX but to a point, they're scrimping on their efforts!
Here is a perfect example from Stargate SG-1:

Thats Samantha Carter onboard the midway station between galaxies. In every episode I saw it I thought it was a real set but the entire thing was CGI on a green screen  Roll eyes While I'll admit it's very clever I also felt rather cheated that the producers hadn't created a proper set.
Now as I mentioned, with Aliens they had to create a very detailed real set because CGI didn't exist! They clearly went to a lot of effort to convince us this was a real base on another planet, created space ships, vehicles etc. It must have cost a fortune!
What do you think?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: They don't make them like that anymore!

Have to agree,
Watched Lawerance of Arabia recently I miss the 'big vista' style films- Out of Africa, Passage to India, Doctor Zhivago
TORPC
Grafter

I feel your pain as I recently watched the plank with Tommy cooper, ok I know its not a scifi etc but proves a point that the OP is making
Also do  favourite search engine search for slapstick comedy Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You might be able to find "Cleopatra" as shown over the holiday period... It was a "sort of" documentary about how the film saved the studio, but cost kept rising and rising into millions, it was supposed to have been shot in England, at the start, because Elizabeth Taylor had a contract saying that she could decide the location... unfortunately, the set they created at Pinewood suffered dramatically due to bad weather ( rain ) making the papier mache disolve and the palm trees die, and the plaster used for the buildings to dissolve, needing days of repair.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I live about a mile from the new Warner Bros studios at Leavesden a bit north of Watford. Where the highly popular Harry Potter Experience is: http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/?gclid=COzJl5Hf4bsCFXHJtAodWQMAkg
Quite easy to see from the surrounding roads are the sets for the next Harry Potter film, mock ups of a castle, what is obviously some sort sailing ship and huge green screens. Large amounts of high crane mounted lights illuminated the sets nearly all day and night. I think some or all of the shooting at these sets has finished now as the cranes have gone.
Judging by the number of reported complaints from the local residents its also quite noisy at night as well with constant amplified calls of "action" and varios other directors instructions (we're not that close to it)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

Some of the more recent films with fires or explosions in them seem to rely on CGI and they rarely look convincing.
Yesterday I wantched a film called Burning Bright about a young girl and her brother trapped in a house with a tiger (ok, the premise isn't convincing but the film was watchable).
Most of the scenes with the tiger I'm sure must have been CGI but they did look real.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still