cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They don't build them like they used to.

Community Veteran

They don't build them like they used to.

Such a true saying. Tonight I cooked my last dinner on our old cooker (pictured). My parents bought this cooker in October 1974! I very quickly decided to order a new one when I noticed an odor of gas recently. Since then I have been disconnecting it from the supply when not in use. The new one is coming tomorrow and the old one will be lifted.
For anyone who knows about cookers it was a Parkinson Cowan 1400 deluxe model and cost £108 in 1974
Quite a sad day. Something tells me that the new one will not last as long. LoL.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: They don't build them like they used to.

We had the exact same model and its was a great cooker and it should be ok for a fair few years yet. You can get new burners and things for it still but the company is a bit hard to find. When you thinks about it cookers dont have a lot to go wrong with them. The new ones look better but no were as good as the old ones.
You may have to have a new pipe as the regulation have changed and they wanted £100 for a new pipe when we got a new one or they wouldnt connect it
geewizz
Grafter

That's a mighty fine piece of cooking equipment you had there. Smiley
The manufacturers obviously weren't up with the latest trends when they put that one together because the techniques of incorporating "failure" in product design and material choice was well established by the beginning of the 70s. Manufacturers had recognised the requirement for repeat business and were investing in future sales by designing domestic goods to need replacing within 10 years.
I think we're about to witness a complete swing in the industry now as consumers look to spend more on longer lasting goods to avoid the future expense of disposal and to chase that green dream.
Community Veteran

We use bottled gas here and the pipe and all fittings were upgraded only a couple of years ago. The guy who is supplying the new cooker is a friend of the family and a registered gas installer. He is going to do whatever needs done and will hopefully not charge too much.
As for fixing the old one, parts would be a little more difficult and expensive to come by here in NI so it was easier just to replace. Besides I have lost enough hair on my hands with matches and such over the years!
N/A

Yes, I was raised with all my grub cooked on a very similar Parkinson Cowan and I am still here a good few years later so it must be good.
Thank you for the fond memories. And no, they don't make things like they used to - I seem to get through a washing machine very 2 to 3 years just lately. Latest is a very expensive Miele which I am told will last (we shall see).
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

No, they don't make 'em like they used to. Our Sanyo TV was 25 this June - never had the back off. The Mitsubishi VCR will soon be 18, again with no repairs or maintenance. The clock was only programmed up to 31/12/04, so I have to fool it into thinking it's 2003!
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

I asume the tv is not HD ready then? LoL.
Our new cooker is pretty cool. When you turn the knob for the (gas) oven it just lights as opposed to getting in there with the matches gassing yourself and loosing all the hairs on your hand!
Community Veteran

Kitchen fridge/freezer (Philips) delivered 20th May 1980 from John Lewis.
Utility room chest freezer (Electrolux) arrived 21st March 1979 also from John Lewis.
Both a bit "tatty" but working fine. Crazy
The chest freezer first lived in what was the "coal hole" under the road (central London basement flat) then in the detached garage 50 yards from the house (after we moved) then finally in the utility room (after the extension was built).
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

That is indeed pretty cool, Sean but no fun though  Wink
HD!? Nah, the TV doesn't even have a SCART. It was quite impressive at the time, having EIGHT channel buttons  Cool
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

When we moved into this house (about 17/18 years ago, I about 2 at the time IIRC) we had a cannon cooker installed (dorchester IIRC), it had eye level grill, 2 ovens and 4 gas hobs, a couple of years ago I was cooking something in the top oven, opened the door to get it out and the front of the door came off, after that we got a new cannon cooker (a winchester IIRC) no more eye level grill, the top oven is useless - food takes ages to cook in it and the control knobs get very hot when the top oven is on, need I say more?
nadger
Rising Star

We bought a Jackson electric cooker, with eye level grill, in 1969 and that died about 7 years ago. The difference in weight between that and it's replacement was amazing.
James
Grafter

I have a pair of trainers from 1996 which still remain functional.
Fixes: 47

Information overload Jameseh Crazy
I have a 32" widescreen CRT TV  I've had for 3 1/2 years which I would love to change for a 42" LCD but the CRT won't die and I can't change it 'till it does.
I'm just a careful with the cash Yorkshireman Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Denzil
Grafter

When I moved in to my current abode a few years ago there was a reasonably nice modern looking twin oven, glass hob cooker already there. The timer doesn't work, so I asked Creda about parts and manuals to be told that model was discontinued in 1984! It is still working now, apart from the timer.
I also have a Singer treadle sewing machine from 1933 that is still going strong, and is a joy to use.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Whoops.