Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They are looking after us.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

Re: They are looking after us.

@Alex wrote:

Phoned my sister on her UK mobile for about 10 minutes. From a Australian mobile which I now had, it cost something silly like £1.50. What? As the Jazz club guy said on The Fast Show. Nicccce.

I'm guessing that was at least a few years ago.  I don't know about other UK providers, but Three includes Australia in the list of countries where you can 'Roam-like-at-home'.

Using their UK PAYG tariff costs 3p per minute to call back to the UK, and people calling the phone from the UK obviously pay the normal UK rate.  *The added bonus is that (I believe) you can also call Australian landline numbers for 3p per minute which will be taken from any unused credit you have in the same way as it would be for your UK calls; the reason I mentioned the unused credit is that I don't believe calls to numbers outside the UK are included with the allowance provided by a purchased 'Add-on' (which can give unlimited calls and texts in the UK for example).

Contracted customers will have similar features.

Edit:  *Or maybe not Roll eyes

Minesapint
Grafter

@Minivanman Re. the post about military prisons.

My dad and another bloke had to deliver another bloke to the glasshouse. Not sure where.

He said this bloke physically fought them hard when they got there, as he didn't want to go in.

He'd been in before.

Don't know quite when this was, wartime or just after. They were paras. Dad wasn't  bothered about him fighting, but he did say that that this bloke being so scared of it showed how bad it was.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Minesapint 

Funny thing is and don't know which one it was, but he ran into one of the Kray brothers doing time there, but Dad being that bit older and to be honest probably a lot nastier, he stayed well clear. He was not a man to crossed that's for sure and even as a teenager I'd feel the back of his hand if not careful.

Is that what we need more of? Not so sure we don't to be honest.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Minesapint wrote:

@Minivanman Re. the post about military prisons.

My dad and another bloke had to deliver another bloke to the glasshouse. Not sure where.

He said this bloke physically fought them hard when they got there, as he didn't want to go in.

He'd been in before.

Don't know quite when this was, wartime or just after. They were paras. Dad wasn't  bothered about him fighting, but he did say that that this bloke being so scared of it showed how bad it was.

If it was during the war I guess they would not want people in prison instead of on the front so they would make certain they never went back to prison again otherwise it might give the wrong message to others wanting to avoid the front.

One can only imagine how the Military Police did this but 'soft folk' did not exist in those days unlike now.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

It was after the war @gleneagles, so I'm guessing the mid fifties - but tough all the same. 

Minesapint
Grafter

@Minivanman Yes, my dad was the same. He was an intelligent bloke, and he wasn't "nasty" looking for people to pick on etc., but you really wouldn't have wanted to try anything on with him. He could box, and was a scrapper when he was younger. He wasn't much impressed by reputation.

He wasn't madly strict or anything, but he'd got that thing where you knew messing him around was a bad idea.

We probably need to go back as you say.  

Young blokes in particular need a firm set of rules IMHO.

Minesapint
Grafter

@gleneagles

I reckon this would have been just after the war. Possibly in India. Dad was out there 'til 47, during the partition. He'd spent a good chunk of the war in Burma.

Many years back now 70s probably, but there was a very good piece in the magazine "Motorcycle Sport" about the "Don Rs" 

It said they had one bloke who wouldn't "fit" with the army sent to "The Glasshouse"

Pretty brutal apparently then in WWII, but what broke them was you were watched all the time, had to exercise 'til you dropped, head to have your kit immaculate, etc. etc. or worse would follow. It broke people. Probably not for the better. Still as you say I reckon there'd be an element of "pour encourager les autres" about it.

Anyway dad said this bloke was a right bad lot. Always in trouble for something, and a general nuisance to everyone.