Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They are looking after us.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: They are looking after us.

Indeed @gleneagles 

Warning: This poetry link might cause offence to some. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Ah, the solution is in the poem, last sentence.

There have been a few books written on the topic of the damage parents can do to children but I guess many parents use their own parents as a model or follow what their parents believe in.

I guess most parents think they are doing their best but some must look back and wonder where did they go wrong ?

Many parents with 2 or more children of the same sex may well see them turn out to be the complete opposite despite being in the same environment and treated the same way, some children get on well with each other some do not, it's a complex subject and problems may be due to many external issues and nothing to do with the parents.

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

The police can only be effective if they have the trust and help of the public, for a police force to work in isolation you need a lot more of them and they end up like the stasi or KGB.  Multi-culturalism has not helped Police at all, they are now expected to understand the culture, mindset and language of a very diverse population, and 'multi-culturalism' means to some groups that they are allowed to keep their own culture in parallel with the host culture and laws and do not tend integrate so well and keep their own vendettas - like the Yardies.    I know you won't see this published anywhere because of various taboos and it is even hard if not impossible to find it from official stats on crime,  but by far the vast majority of perpetrators and victims of the latest crop of knife, machete, drive-by shooting etc. etc. are black and asian - who show up very disproportionately in the crime stats compared to their percentage of society. It is easy to blame society for crime, but people in the past have been much more needy and deprived than anyone is nowadays and did not turn to crime.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

I'm of the opinion that most things in life, including stupidity, are hereditary and that even includes not being able to have children. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

@Mook 

Agree with you about physical things but not the psychological ones.

The psychological ones are more environmental imo.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Mook wrote:

... are hereditary and that even includes not being able to have children. Roll eyes

Grin

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

Environment to be sure plays a large part in our "physical behaviour" as you call it and although discredited with the rise of eugentics, behaviourial genetics does carry some weight. 

A recent report found from a very quick search concluded:

During the past century, the pendulum of opinion has swung from nature to nurture and is now swinging back towards nature. We hope that this research has stopped the pendulum at a point between nature and nurture because the most basic message is that both genetics and environment contribute substantially to individual differences in psychological traits

PS. I jumped to the end as the rest of it was way over my head!

Community Veteran

So any problems we have are down to a mixture of genetics and the environment.......

On that basis anything I do wrong is not my fault, it's down to genetics and the environment ?

Great defence for the barrister representing his client in court.

Wink

PS: Just kidding !

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

"God told him to do it m'lud". Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

"Your honour, I claim innocence on my part due to being genetically pre-disposed to being adversarial and violent through millennia of evolution and social conditioning."

Sounds legit to me at least... Funny

Highlighted
Marksfish
Pro

Perhaps if prison was a deterrent rather than a holiday at the taxpayers expense, people would be less blase about doing a couple of months stir. i have yet to hear of anyone that would willingly go back to detention in Colchester military prison where a strict regime is in place. Riots in Bedford prison last year? Let the tw8ts live in the filth and desecration they caused and let them make the repairs from their "wages". Oh, that would be against their human rights wouldn't it? I spoke to a prison officer on holiday who is in Croydon nick (I think it was there anyway). He told me that not one British person was in there, they were all Eastern Europeans, who are happy to be there as the "punishment" is so much lighter than the harsh conditions they would receive back in their home country.

There is also no respect for the Police now, or certainly far less than when I was younger. If you want to know the time, ask a Policeman was the phrase for me growing up, try finding one these days! When you do see them, they look more like special forces personnel than the bobby we all used to see.

I don't know what the answer is, I think the genie is already out of the bottle and it's too late to do anything about it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Not sure where that nick is in Croydon and I'm from there, as for Colchester you are dead right as my old step Dad served some time in there after being busted down from sergeant when he was in the Army. 

Never again he said, never again. Sad

Marksfish
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Not sure where that nick is in Croydon and I'm from there,

May have been Maidstone, or around that sort of area. It was 3 years ago we met him, so memory is a bit foggy Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

This is still slightly on topic (well a bit) but in countries like Australia you cannot buy a Pay As You Go mobile SIM without it being registered. So you need a address within the country which of course I didn't have. When coming out of Sydney airport I got a local SIM and had to give my passport details. Fine. Had my passport on me as I had just arrived.

Whacked that into my unlocked Nokia phone, which was a DIY job as I used a code generator (sorry if I am not allowed to say that, but it's true Police).

Phoned my sister on her UK mobile for about 10 minutes. From a Australian mobile which I now had, it cost something silly like £1.50. What? As the Jazz club guy said on The Fast Show. Nicccce.

Best holiday I've ever had and only mistake I made was forgetting the time difference and ringing my parents at 4am UK time. Whoops.

I'm suprised they don't bring that in here to be honest. 

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Alex wrote:

Phoned my sister on her UK mobile for about 10 minutes. From a Australian mobile which I now had, it cost something silly like £1.50. What? As the Jazz club guy said on The Fast Show. Nicccce.

I'm guessing that was at least a few years ago.  I don't know about other UK providers, but Three includes Australia in the list of countries where you can 'Roam-like-at-home'.

Using their UK PAYG tariff costs 3p per minute to call back to the UK, and people calling the phone from the UK obviously pay the normal UK rate.  *The added bonus is that (I believe) you can also call Australian landline numbers for 3p per minute which will be taken from any unused credit you have in the same way as it would be for your UK calls; the reason I mentioned the unused credit is that I don't believe calls to numbers outside the UK are included with the allowance provided by a purchased 'Add-on' (which can give unlimited calls and texts in the UK for example).

Contracted customers will have similar features.

Edit:  *Or maybe not Roll eyes