Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They are looking after us.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

They are looking after us.

More Police, more stop and search and more prisons have just been announced by our new style government in charge.

But don't worry guys, they are looking after us... honest.

police-afo-tactical.jpg

To prevent the weaker members of the community from being preyed upon by innumerable vultures, it was needful that there should be an animal of prey stronger than the rest, commissioned to keep them down. But as the king of the vultures would be no less bent upon preying on the flock than any of the minor harpies, it was indispensable to be in a perpetual attitude of defence against his beak and claws.

John Stuart Mill. On Liberty.1859.

35 REPLIES 35
wotsup
Champion

Re: They are looking after us.

With the bad guys now carrying machete and knives as big as swords, plus drive by shooting on the increase the general police on the beat and traffic officers are going to need to be armed soon.  I am surprised that tinted windows on vehicles are legal in these times when the police need all the visibility they can get of the interior of a vehicle.  The recent announcement that requires every police recruit to have a degree is nonsense when the police are facing such levels of violence, the requirement should be that only rugby prop forwards need apply to be a copper....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Points taken, but maybe we should to adressing the cause, not over reacting to it?

Not all nuts needing to be cracked with a hammer - in fact most of us are not even nuts. :wink:

Highlighted
Luzern
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

It's just the resurgence of the nasty party elements, I'd say, weren't it for the populist nature of its leaders. It strikes me that too much  criminal and tax legislation has retrospectivity enshrined. People, who were not committing an offence x years ago,those may be frowned on, find themselves bankrupted or imprisoned for it in 2019.

That type of law is loved by idealogues, authoritarians and fools. Would parliament been so blind in much earlier times?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minesapint
Pro

I've reckoned that policing was going to have to get tougher for some time now.

Unfortunately dealing with criminals who are prepared to use violence, means that equivalent violence has to be used to uphold the law.

Doesn't mean I like it though.  

Community Veteran

I think the problem is in most areas they need to start policing again.

People have just been left to sort things out for themselves with the police only finally stepping in often far too late. Crime prevention with some police presence would work wonders in some places.

Yes of course there are costs to this but how much is rising insurance prices costing everyone already.

wotsup
Champion

When I were a lad we used to know our local police quite well because there were a couple of police houses on most housing estates.  You felt you could talk to them and they were not strangers in uniform who would  just turn up when there was a problem.  They knew who the bad guys were but most others respected them. Fast forward many decades and the police have become centralised remote characters who hardly interact with public, Maggie Thatcher did not help when she gave the police a fat pay rise and used them as her private army to fight the miners....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

@Minivanman wrote:

Points taken, but maybe we should to adressing the cause, not over reacting to it?

Not all nuts needing to be cracked with a hammer - in fact most of us are not even nuts. :wink:

here is an old saying....

"There`s plenty more fish in the sea..."    

Think about that.... We ( Great Britain ) had a massive fishing fleet, and they caught lots of fish... but then the governments got together and decided that we did not need so much fish, cos the stock was being depleted.. and so they shut down the fising industry ( almost )..  and now there is more fish in the sea...

ipso facto... we now need more fishermen to catch them...

Same with criminality.... it was being "held" at a "reasonable" level, and the bobby on the beat and his colleagues were content to keep the lid on trouble,... then along comes the government, and says, everything is nice and quiet, we can`t afford to have bobbies wandering the streets at night, so we will cut the budget(s)  ... and lo.  the crime rates have soared, and now we need more police to catch the fish criminals and deal with them

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

You may be right, but only in part as there are to use your analogy, different types of fish in the sea.

From my understanding, whilst there is a correlation between the numbers of 'bobbies on the beat' and crimes against property, the same cannot be said for crimes of violence which has more to do with society in general rather than actual police numbers... in my opinion.

Kids these days are more exposed and therefore more inclined I would suggest towards violent behaviour than the current older generation ever was, and where once we had what was known as the criminal underworld of knuckle dusters and baseball bats, we now live in one where the carrying and using of knives is open, common and increasing at a rate of knots.

The result of course is that the law abiding citizen is obliged to live in a surveillance society policed by what could easily pass for a storm trooper or at the very least, a paramilitary as per my opening post.

It's a trade off sure but at what cost and at what risk to the majority of us and where as always, property is more important than people - hence those proposed increases.

Welcome to the twenty first century. :thumbsup:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

PS.

Just reading on BBC news that the CPS are now going to get an extra £85 million "to tackle violent crime".

So let's not tackle the cause, let's tackle the result by more prosecutions?  Like that is ever going to work. 

A short term knee jerk solution to a long term problem is never the answer, and it never has been.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

I blame the parents.......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well maybe and in some cases, but as sure as eggs some kids are right little tykes no matter how the parents raise them... but not mine of course. :tongue:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

PS.

Just reading on BBC news that the CPS are now going to get an extra £85 million "to tackle violent crime".

So let's not tackle the cause, let's tackle the result by more prosecutions?  Like that is ever going to work. 

A short term knee jerk solution to a long term problem is never the answer, and it never has been.

The trouble is the list of causes is as long as your arm and getting longer, one of the major causes in my opinion is the size of the population in certain areas, the more people you cram into the same space the more violence you see examples being these turf wars, not something you are likely to see in some small village as there is plenty of space.

The bad news is that things will only get worse, plenty of experts about with solutions but what works in theory often fails to work in practice.

Look at America, with all their money they cannot solve the problem, here we use knives or cars instead of guns but same outcome.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@shutter wrote:

I blame the parents.......

I blame the parents parents and the parents parents parents etc

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles wrote:
... turf wars, not something you are likely to see in some small village as there is plenty of space.

And less people, so probably only one member in each 'gang'.  :grin: