Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These seam to be getting closer and closer to us

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

These seam to be getting closer and closer to us

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3777694/Get-ready-close-encounter-Large-asteroid-come... 2 Run for your liveeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss 

I know media always hype up most of these close encounters, but its going to happen to us one day aint it Tongue

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: These seam to be getting closer and closer to us

I'm surprised that so many years have gone by without serious work being done to deflect them.

I remember a decade ago seeing stuff on TV about how to deal with incoming meteors, everything from nukes to propulsion boosters was discussed but since then what actual work has been done to achieve any of it? None!

I have to wonder what NASA are actually doing these days because it seems that all they're worried about is the flaming space station.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

And unless it's a little one moving the space station between us and any oncoming flying mountain wouldn't help much.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Such things pass the earth quite frequently, they either bounce off the atmosphere making a nice light show, or they just slingshot around us and fire off back into space at a slightly different orbit around us, it's when they're on a trajectory to hit the planet that they're of any real concern, I just see them as people walking by a window, they might have a look, but aren't going to break in through the glass (unlike the daily fail's "panic stations!! everybody poo themselves cos the end of the earth didn't happen!!!" type of scaremongering)...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We could mine the seams on them when they get close.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Where do you suggest we run to? Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

To the hills? Grin

Community Veteran

Duck and cover.

Under my table.

Minivanman
Hero

Well if it ever heads my way I'll be outside arms outstretched to the sky and marvel at it's arrival.

What a way to go eh, and cheap! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.