cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theresa May - Who Will Succeed Her? - Formerly 'Theresa May'

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Theresa May

Theresa May has resigned. This will mean a new leader of the Conservative Party who will also be our next Prime Minister.

Who is the next PM going to be?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Small point perhaps but she has not resigned, she has announced here resignation. The lady will be in charge and holding the reins for at least another couple of weeks. As for the next leader well I'll guess we'll have to wait until those hats get thrown into the ring first. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I don't see much changing really. Same impasse, same old, same old.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Formal date is 7th June but she will remain in post until someone else is appointed.

Likely to be a number of candidates for the post, hopefully the winner will not be Boris but we are in strange times.

Why did May simply not come back with her deal and say to MP's either accept this deal or we are out with no deal...end of.

The decision would then have been made by MP's and left her in post ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Depends in part on those election results.

If the Conservatives are practically wiped off the map (and it could happen) then the likes of Rees-Mogg might be tempted to take his topper off and throw that into the ring, and what a well deserved poke in the eye for some that will be. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Now the lady is leaving (or just bottled it according to some) will this be her choice of shampoo for 'Wash and Go' Roll_eyes 

Capture.PNG

@sam_bambs

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Back to a serious point.

It looks like a big field for the first round of voting. Currently 14 candidates have signified they will stand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48395611

I said earlier that Jeremy Hunt would be my preferred leader.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Re: Theresa May - Who Will Succeed Her? - Formerly 'Theresa May'

Yeh, let's not lighten up, this not funny it's deadly serious.

*shakes head*

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Kenneth Clarke was on TV a lot yesterday (Friday) and mentioned that one thing previous leadership elections had in common was that the winner turned out to be someone that was not even thought of when the ballot was first announced.  He gave examples of John Major and Margaret Thatcher.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

With regards to Thatcher, she was the first and only one to challenge Heath for the leadership and thought by some in the Party to be nothing but a stalking horse. Oops! Roll_eyes

Major was a better writer with his pants down having a Curry than he ever was a PM. Wink 

IDS was the big joke, the nowhere man from nowhere who went err, nowhere.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I remember when Thatcher decided to stand it was big news, mainly because she was a woman, and no-one really believed she'd win.

From what I've managed to catch of news broadcasts over the last 24 hours it looks like Boris is still the frontrunner, even amongst the general public (expressed in street interviews), in which case I hope history repeats itself and the job goes to someone else. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you’ve been a member of the Conservative Party for more than 3 months you won’t get a say in it, we will just have to live with it instead. However, there are two people I don’t want to see as leader. The first being Gove for reasons I’ve expressed before and the second being Hunt for what he did to the NHS.

I’m not politically motivated but this a bit like food I know what I like and don't like.

There have been calls for the new leader to call a General Election but we know this won’t happen as the Conservatives will fear a loss to Labour.

Sound bites from the public are all very well but have, in my opinion, no credibility and need to be taken with a pinch of (pink Himalayan) salt.

P.S. I was having a conversation with my Brother regarding the European Elections and I said that the Brexit party will pull 65% of the votes, yep I know. So roll on 22:00 on Sunday.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

65% of the votes, and the election is being regarded in many quarters as a second referendum?

Not wishing or wanting to turn this into another (Gods help us) Brexit thread, but a result anywhere near that and any new leader will have little option but to go back to Brussels with a clear 'take it or leave it' mandate - otherwise it's a no deal.

Back on track, and I do not see how anybody other than Boris is going to take this and take us out - but can we trust the guy? Not on your Nelly Duff. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you’ve been a member of the Conservative Party for more than 3 months you won’t get a say in it, we will just have to live with it instead. However, there are two people I don’t want to see as leader. The first being Gove for reasons I’ve expressed before and the second being Hunt for what he did to the NHS.

P.S. I was having a conversation with my Brother regarding the European Elections and I said that the Brexit party will pull 65% of the votes, yep I know. So roll on 22:00 on Sunday.

You have to be a member of any political party to have a say in who the leader should be and if that party is in power then its leader automatically becomes PM.

I agree with you about Gove but as I've said before I would vote for Jeremy Hunt. Boris would not be good IMO. He was a disaster as Foreign Secretary.  Why would he be any better as PM?

Highlighted
Champion

I think its going to be a shorter list if we just name the mp's not standingRoll_eyesRoll_eyes