cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There`s an Elephant in the room

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

There`s an Elephant in the room

Secondary title.... "you cannot be serious"..! 

It`s "that time of year again" for me.... motor insurance renewal.... My current insurers  LV sent me their new premium, (£293.52) and , as usual, I went through the hoops with Moneysupermarket... Uswitch.... Compare the market... only one company came "near" to my renewal price.. but had a much higher personal excess...  so it seems I am "stuck" with LV for next year..

During the process..  I decided to try a little experiment.. and googled "Low Cost Car insurance"... once again.checked out a few and.. the same company came up "near" but not lower than LV... and then another one I had never heard of ELEPHANT..  came up... so filled in all the details... all the same on all forms...  and at the end.. it would not give me an onlline quote...  however... an hour later I received an email...

Here is a pic of their quote....   

insurance quote.png

ShockedShockedShocked

Talk about being "Three times over the limit "  ! ! !! 

Guess who I will be renewing with...... !  Smiley

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Re: There`s an Elephant in the room

That is much the same as I was last year. Nobody even came near my renewal quote (Aviva) with some being like your quote above. I would laugh if I wasn't crying.
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

My renewal quote was good as I heard there was an insurance tax rise but I rang them anyway and asked if there was anyway they could reduce it and they knocked off another £15 so I ended up paying £7 less than last year.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

It could be that the size of the price is determined by the size of who is offering it, considering an elephant is quite large and easily 4 times that of a human...

It's OK I'm leaving now.

Fixes: 225

Elephant is part of the Admiral Group which also owns Confused.com.

Have you tried Admiral to see what they quote?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Ahhh that explains it  Thumbs Up 

The Elephant got confused with @shutter  quote Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

What I have never understood is why is it dearer if you telephone or use the insurers own site? Yes I have tried a few times.

I always end up on Moneysupermarket even when renewing to the same company.

Often cheaper and often with some extra thrown in (no not a stuffed toy).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I am with LV, last renewal they sent me a quote which was around £ 70 higher than the previous year, I had already looked money supermarket.com entered my details and the quote was around £80 cheaper.

Phoned LV and asked them about it, after the usual message of give me a minute (more like 5 minutes) they said they could reduce the original quote by £30. Despite me repeating several times this was far higher than that on moneysupermarket all they kept saying was we will reduce it by £30, so told them not to renew it.

Now on to the best bit, put all my details again into LV on moneysupermarket and on reaching the end it would not accept my credit card....'There has been a error...' However there was a number to ring in case of problems, on getting through I asked who I was speaking too, and yes it was LV, said I wished to take the insurance out at the figure shown and......no problem.

Asked why I could now get the price shown but not if I contacted LV direct ? The answer was they were in a diferent department at LV and could give bigger discounts.

So next time my renewal comes up it will be straight to moneysupermarket.

This is not the first time I have experienced this nonsense, was with Churchill years ago and they refused to reduce the renewal quote, went through some insurance broker got it much cheaper and yes it was with Churchill.

Community Veteran

Because when you use the web site they don't have to pay someone to take your details you fill them in.
Community Veteran

But the website takes a cut and the actual insurers still have to process your application.

And as I mentioned even when I fill in the details on the insurers own site.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Well, be grateful they don't charge the full price and offer cash-back, we all know what a muddle that can get into. Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Sad thing is, that estimate is "cheaper" than a new-driver quote... Crazy2

Community Veteran

Not really, for a totally new (young) driver the odds are much higher that they will have an accident in the first year than someone who has been driving for 5+ years.
It is one reason the IAM are running ADC's for the new young drivers. To give them more experience and also a discount on the insurance once they pass,