cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There'll Be Bluebirds Over...

Fixes: 125

There'll Be Bluebirds Over...

... what's left of the White Cliffs of Dover.
The collapsing cliffs of Dover: Now France is even further away as thousands of tons of chalk crash ...
Thousands of tons of chalk from the famous White Cliffs of Dover have collapsed into the sea following a huge rockfall.
Tons of cliff-face sheared off near an area known as Crab Bay, but no-one was injured, the coastguard said.
The collapse may have been caused by rain over the winter months being absorbed into the chalk and freezing.

Seems this happens on a regular basis with the last one being in January last year.
I just thought the Cliffs were being eroded by rain and wind rather than collapsing into the sea.
That means France is getting further away. On the plus side... France is getting further away Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: There'll Be Blue Birds Over...

I once did a rock climb on the limestone cliffs down in the Gower (Sth Wales) which was a bit like that situation. It was two pitches about 120feet in all.  The local guidebook writer had told us about the climb and said we'd enjoy it, especially the long vertical finger jamb crack in the final section.  Anyway we found the rock on the climb was a bit loose, but the final fist jam section of the route was spectacular and exposed. It was a "classic" route.
About three months later we were scrambling along the lower sea cliffs in that location to reach another climbing route. We noticed a lot of rock had fallen into the sea below. When we looked up we realised that the entire section where we'd climbed three months before had fallen off.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Re: There'll Be Bluebirds Over...

Why do I now have the phrase 'There'll Be Bluebirds Over...Coniston Water' in my head Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

saw that a few days
before it went down the swannee
or was that the old Folkes at home
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
Why do I now have the phrase 'There'll Be Bluebirds Over...Coniston Water' in my head Undecided

Don't know chap but it reminds me of that song by Dame Vera Lynn (who I'm honoured enough to have met in person and her daughter too!)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sprite if you dont know, look at this if you are old enough http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DfL3Vi6iyHOU
and before that
On 13 June 1930 Sir Henry Segrave piloted Miss England II to a new record of 158.94 km/h (98.76 mph) average speed during two runs on Windermere, in Britain's Lake District. Having set the record, Segrave set off on a third run to try to improve the record further. Unfortunately during the run, the boat struck an object in the water and capsized, with both Segrave and his co-driver receiving fatal injuries.
Fixes: 47

...or maybe this Wink
Sir Malcolm Campbell chose Coniston for his attempt at the water speed record in 1939, which he achieved at over 141 miles per hour. On his death, his son Donald Campbell took up where his father left off.
His aim was to better 300 miles per hour, which he did on 4th January 1967, but the craft, 'Bluebird', shot up into the air and disappeared into the lake. Until early in 2001, his body had never been found.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation