Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There but not there

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

There but not there

i would presume that most here would remember the Ceramic poppies in London Thumbs Up

well there is a new one " life-size silhouettes which will be installed across the nation for November 2018"

or if you wish you buy your own TOMMY silhouette Smiley       

https://www.therebutnotthere.org.uk/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: There but not there

Brilliant post. Thank you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

We should remember those who were killed in the war(s)... and this is adequately done, by the Rememberance Services all across the country... and , indeed, "poppy day"... and poppy selling....

However.. I do think that now we are in the TWENTYFIRST century, and we have " made friends" with Germany, and others ( Italy, and Russia ). it is about time we respected the dead in a more "discreet" manner, (as we do already).. than using gimmicky stuff like giant poppies, and statues, which, probably are the brainchild of some moneymaking schemers.

Blatant showing off, is tantamount to "rubbing salt" in the wounds of Germany, and others who we fought. yet we still buy lots of stuff from Germany, and it`s allies,  apart from their cars... because it is better quality and cheaper than the equivelant british made stuff..

We may have won the actual fighting war.... but it appears to me that Germany came out of it much better than we have....,,  just take a look at their railways, trams services, roads, etc, and how they have rebuilt all those towns and cities, to look as if nothing had happened to them during our bombing campaigns which totally destroyed them. .. 

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I think we should continue the annual day of remembrance which is for everyone who've died in the (military) service of the country.  Of course we can't blame today's Germans for what happened during WWII any more than we can be blamed for Britain's part in slavery etc.

Yes, Germany has done well post-1945; having been excused any payment of war reparations was undoubtedly a great help, and being prohibited from having much of a defence force saves them a lot of money.