cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There are still honest people around

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There are still honest people around

On last Saturday afternoon I lost my mobile phone in thoroughly singular circumstances -the first time losing a phone in 20+ years of carrying one- The phone was picked up and taken to a nearby shop where, an attempt to call my landline was made and a message was left on my old-fashioned answering machine. Unfortunately the message was a bit garbled, I couldn't call back my mobile as the finder carefully (to conserve battery power for when they re-opened on Monday) the only word I could reliably recognise was "corner"
With some detective work by calling another shop in the same road in which the phone was lost (Google came to the fore here) I guessed the shop was called "Cookie Corner" a sandwich shop in New Milton Hants. And was right first time. The phone is as we "speak" on its way back to me.
The finder and the shop owner could easily have thrown away the SIM card and kept or sold the phone, or indeed simply thrown it away.
If you are in the vicinity of the New Forest or nearby New Milton and looking for a bite to eat, try the Cookie Corner, in there works an honest person.
Quite revives faith in human nature.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
50 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: There are still honest people around

I'm still surprised that I see many ebay ads where the seller openly says "found on a bus" "left in a pub" "picked up in a park".
Especially as a lost mobile must be one of the easiest things to return to the owner.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@billnotben, Mobile Phones that are lost should be handed in to the Police, if the owner does not collect it from the Police Station then it can be Soled on.
David_W
Rising Star

Lost (or stolen) mobiles *should* be useless to anyone.  Taking the SIM out and sticking in a new one works up until the time you call your phone company and say "I lost my phone".  When that happens your telco will look up the IMEI number (a unique number each phone has) and ban that number from it's network as well as share the IMEI with other telcos which bans it on all networks in the UK.
Of course, this doesn't apply when people sell the phone abroad as it only barred from the UK networks.  It is nice to see honesty though, I'd be gutted if I lost either of my phones (Nokia N900 and Lumia 800) though I have turned on "find my phone" on my Lumia so if I do misplace it I can use the internet to find out where it is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thats what SHOULD happen David but I don't think many people bother reporting their phones as lost. Last I heard you had to give them your IMEI number as they didn't directly have it (some companies might - eg if you had the phone directly from them but others may not if you took the phone onto their network from elsewhere).
In reality though, the more phones lost/stolen, the more sales the telcos make on replacements so you have to wonder if it was all a big PR thing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: David
Of course, this doesn't apply when people sell the phone abroad as it only barred from the UK networks.

I thought an IMEI blacklisted in the UK was added to the CEIR which is in use throughout Europe?
Fixes: 47

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMEI#Blacklist_of_stolen_devices
"New IMEIs can be programmed into stolen handsets and 10% of IMEIs are not unique." According to a BT Cellnet spokesman quoted by the BBC.

Although things may have changed now.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I was reading recently (Daily Mail?) a reader's letter about someone having their phone returned in India. It had passed through several people to get back to the owner knowing only that she was white and wore a red motor cycle helmet. 
Fixes: 125

When my phone was stolen in Ukraine back in 2005 I rang T-mobile who immediately put a block on it. They said that they would be able to render the phone useless.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally I think you should be able to ring into the phone and enter your pin and disable it yourself. Imagine how phone theft would drop of that happened - thieves wouldn't bother if they knew the owner was probably going to ring in and cripple it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
"New IMEIs can be programmed into stolen handsets and 10% of IMEIs are not unique." According to a BT Cellnet spokesman quoted by the BBC.

Although things may have changed now.

Yeah I think the BT Cellnet part tells you how old that is Smiley
It used to be easy on older phones from what I understand - no I haven't tried it, but I remember unlocking an old Saumsung phone via a cable years ago and the unlock software had an option to change the IMEI (which I didn't touch!).
I think on modern phones the IMEI is now contained within a non flashable part of the phone.
David_W
Rising Star

Changing the IMEI number is illegal so most certainly not recommended!  Though if you buy a phone that you know is lost/stolen you probably won't have any qualms about changing the IMEI over to an old phone you have laying around in a sock drawer somewhere.
There is a central registry which you can use : http://www.checkmend.com/uk/ so if you buy a phone off ebay you can check (after the fact though) the IMEI number to see if it's been blocked on any networks, and if it has you should be able to use that as evidence for a claim from paypal or even small claims court (it can also check other serial numbers for consoles or electronics if registered so you can check if they are stolen or something)
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
I'm still surprised that I see many ebay ads where the seller openly says "found on a bus" "left in a pub" "picked up in a park".

I've been looking at numerous phones on eBay recently and never seen this comment.
I get free phone insurance from my bank.  When you register the phone they ask for the IME number.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
It used to be easy on older phones from what I understand - no I haven't tried it, but I remember unlocking an old Saumsung phone via a cable years ago and the unlock software had an option to change the IMEI (which I didn't touch!).

I remember having similar software myself for Samsung phones.
Of course that software was readily available then because at that time it wasn't illegal to change the IMEI.
Quote from: artmo
I've been looking at numerous phones on eBay recently and never seen this comment.

Look harder.
Community Veteran

You quoted 'many' which I say is not the case.  Let's have some examples if you can find them.