cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Them thar hills!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Them thar hills!!

We are contemplating a B&B weekend away next week, we quite often do this but, usually travel south (Hampshire, Dorset, Sussex etc.) But this time I thought we'd go north (we live near Watford, where the south ends we're told) possibly into Derbyshire, and I'm ashamed to say other than passing through on motorways in over 60 years I've never set foot in the county, I'm told its gods own country, so I'd like to sample a little bit.
Our requirements are quite tight, because of Mrs disabilities we need a ground floor room, but not a pub (to stay in) however we'd like a nice pub to eat in, preferably one that doesn't advertise giant screen football as an attraction, and off main trunk routes, some nice areas to see and drive around. don't mind a farm to stay in, but they rarely have ground floor rooms. anything quiet and friendly will be looked at most carefully.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Them thar hills!!

Last time we went that way we stayed in Tideswell; nice "larger" village with a  reasonable selection of pubs etc. for eating in.
Good access to most places as it's fairly central but off the main roads.
We had a largish party including  the "Outlaws" who are either side of 90 and pretty frail and found a good cottage in the village with some ground-floor accommodation though much too large for 2 people.
(this was self-catering, not B&B, but there are several in the area)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

consider Bakewell (famous shop there where the Bakewell Tart was originally made.... nice river too.... also Buxton (all roads lead there ! ! !) and Matlock & Matlock Bath, where there is a cable car up to the hills above the river...
Check out the places by looking on Google images...... there is a short video on Youtube of Matlock Bath... (linked from the google images of Matlock Bath..
For loads of info.... phone up the Tourist Information  office in the Peak District National Park..... they will be able to check out local availability of B&B`s and book in advance for you free especially for your case where ground floor access is a necessity.... also they will be able to advise you of suitable "visitor" places for you... If you have time.... ask them to send you loads of promotional tourist info leaflets so you can choose the places, and they will advise the best location for your B&B to cover that area...
All for FREE ! ! !

Take your camera ! Wink Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Unfortunately the B&B are not free,  We normally go Self catering and have found Derbyshire/Yorkshire one of the dearest parts of the country
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre

Unfortunately the B&B are not free

Thank you pierre, I also like a break away from domesticity occasionally, so whilst we do self-cater from time to time, B&B with pub dinners gives me a bit of a break as well, but I take your point.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

As a Yorkshireman now living in Essex I can fully recommend the East Yorkshire coast.  Try Bridlington, Flamborough and then a little further north to Filey, Robin Hoods Bay and Scarborough.  This time of year it won't be busy, accommodation won't be dear and you'll get a great welcome Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

No Pierre................... I did not mean the B&B was free..... Roll eyes  Roll eyes  Roll eyes
  I meant the service provided by the Tourist Information Centres  (TIC`s) was FREE..... Roll eyes
As for the Yorkshire coast........ agree.... beautiful area, spent all my childhood holidays in that area.....Know all those little places very well... Smiley
you can even ride on a steam train !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

@artmo, thanks for that, Yorkshire in general was also on the agenda, but was set aside for another time due to distance from home for a short break, and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure which parts of Yorkshire are best to visit (many thanks for your info)...not wishing to spark-off a turf war amongst our correspondents. we're planning to leave just after I finish work Friday evening, hopefully getting advice from a B&B proprietor for somewhere to eat and book, stay over Friday and Saturday nights returning sometime Sunday evening. This would be a pattern we've followed a number of times.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and its not a Micky Mouse one, it goes a long way  - Yes Shutter, I was taking the Micky out of your choice of sentance sentence sentience, Oh you know what I mean
Community Veteran

@ Pierre,  Only because we understand the rules of wit and etiquette !  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I personally like That area, I have a Sister in Law the lives near JMDLP, (And my Mother in Law - coming to see us tomorrow), that is very near to Clumber Park - Derbyshire, I have Holidayed in Whitby and travelled a lot in Both parts of Yorkshire, even escaped to Lancashire, my Paternal GM came from Tyneside, the rest of my Grandparents from Manchester Region.  My only point was that for some reason, perhaps popularity B&B is expensive
jmd
Grafter

A weekend based in Peak District would be lovely........................... good place to stay although not very exciting is a Travel lodge as they are generally good for disabled.  They are also very reasonable in cost.  Chesterfield is a good base - to get into Peak District or Sherwood Forrest!
Fixes: 47

Living as I do on the Yorkshire Derbyshire border we Sheffield folk consider Derbyshire, particularly the Peak District as our back garden and play area.
We tolerate folk living in it as they keep it clean and tidy. It is highly recommended for a long weekend or longer but not too long Wink.
I often visit the caves around the Castleton area and the scenery is VERY photogenic.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Thank you jmdlp, the thought had crossed my mind to use Travel Lodge long before this, but I'm not that keen, I (we) would prefer to stay in a B&B really, the once or twice we've stayed "hotel" we've found them a bit impersonal and, geared towards the "travelling salesman" brigade, particularly round these parts, the one thing in their favour though is their prices, which are generally lower than B&B, or at least they are on the south coast.
@Strat, you'd allow a southerner in for the weekend then? if we promise not to throw rubbish anywhere...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I used a Holiday Inn Express up near Glasgow, couldnt tar that one with that Brush, did once stop at the Scotch Corner Hotel for lunch, never again, definitely CT and rubbish food high price and bad service, but they did have a lot of people using expensive WiFi laptops in the dining area