cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The veteran Tory MP said there was a "totally different type of people" in stand

Community Veteran

The veteran Tory MP said there was a "totally different type of people" in stand

Sir Nicholas Winterton has angrily denounced plans to reduce first-class travel by MPs - telling the BBC he needs "quiet" and privacy to work.
The veteran Tory MP said there was a "totally different type of people" in standard-class train carriages.
He also said it was a "grotesque injustice" that the expenses system had been "misrepresented" by the media.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8521510.stm

What an utter disgrace, but I'm afraid typical of some type of people.
But having said that - I think MP's should continue to be allowed to travel First class on journeys over about 2 hours.
Despite the way he said it - I fully agree that First class is much more conducive to working, having done a huge amount of rail travel myself, much of it on long distance Perthshire to London. In the  cramped standard class there is not room in many seats to get papers out, laptops out, and a lot of hustle and bustle.
My company had a  standard class only rule for most people - but I had a dispensation due to the long distance - and I don't know about others - but my mind was very fertile on train journeys, I was able to think out problems, write reports etc etc, and back in the early days of GSM phones I could even use the phone for connecting my PC to the office email system, so on the journey I was as efficient or more so that I might be in the oofice. But this was only becuase of the relative peace and tranquility of First Class.
I think it unfortunate that the wording takes us back to the class system - they should have renamed it Executive many years ago.
14 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: The veteran Tory MP said there was a "totally different type of people" in stand

Whoa slow down there mal haha,dont let pierre pierre see this whatever you do!! Wink
Community Veteran

Re: The veteran Tory MP said there was a "totally different type of people" in stand

He was interviewed later on BBC Breakfast and clarified his comments.  He said he was referring to the ability to work in first class alongside other same minded people and this wasn't possible in standard class. 
Community Veteran

Maybe but he should have known better and not use such utterly disgraceful words.
Community Veteran

How about the Labour minister earlier in the week who said it was good for people to lose their homes?  Or is that different?
johpal
Grafter

As a veteran MP, the man ought to have known better than to use such inflammatory language, especially around journalists. To invert the snobbery, would you care to travel with such an insufferable prig next to you?
As regards claiming expenses, allow the standard class fare claim; if he wants first class, let him pay the excess from his own (adequate, IMHO) salary like most of the rest of us.
Community Veteran

I can assure that I have sat next to many MP's and ministers even on the trains from Scotland to London - specifically in the lounge car of the Caledonian Sleepers.
Artmo - no it applies to all parties, but you seem to reserve your comments only for Labour MP's  - I criticise them all, there are good and bad in all parties. The tory government were just as unpopular and attracted just as much criticism as this labour one, it's just that history is sometimes forgotten. No good looking at one party through rose colour spectacles.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I would point out he took a load of flack on Artmo local BBC today
Community Veteran

In case you missed it:
Housing minister
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would have thought that this is a true statement even if hard to swallow
Mr Healey's comments came in a radio interview when he was asked why repossession numbers were so high.
He replied: "In some cases it is the best thing for the people who are struggling with these mortgages."
The minister added: "Sometimes it is impossible for people to maintain the mortgage commitments they've got... it may be the best thing in those circumstances."
community
Grafter

Hands up,please!
who thinks that artmo will be voting tory next time?  Smiley
After a long life of interaction with friends, I have definitely found the truth in the saying "never express in public your views on religion or politics",
this has always been the quickest way to lose friends!  Wink
However, there are some friends you are able to excuse........ Grin
Community Veteran

Thank you Community Smiley  Smiley
Community Veteran

I definitely won't be voting Tory, but not sure which other one yet, but I've got more choice in Scotland.
And I'm a Christian and don't mind saying so here -  Smiley I administer aADSL / phone account for my church on Plusnet.
There are quite a few of us around the forum - they may not say so directly but you can tell often - and I have several PM's from them.  Smiley
I'm not one of those evangelical ones that stands on the street talking about it - each to their own. I just quietly get on with helping people including the disadvantaged.
Denzil
Grafter

There are standard class 'quiet coaches' on most trains these days, but I suppose he wouldn't know that if he only goes first class.
Community Veteran

But those coaches still have about 40% more seats. and the ambience is still no where near as quiet as First.
In the scale of things - MP's train fares are small compared to the total budget, and i have no problem in them going First.
In any case - the money goes back to the government largely in franchise payments to government, track access charges to National rail, a government company.
To me it a minor issue not worth political debate, far far more important things