cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The value of things

N/A

The value of things

Last year an unusual water feature came into our possession and we wish to sell it.  Alas, we don't have much idea of what it's worth so I've just been on eBay to take a look if there is anything similar - unfortunately there is nothing so that was of no help. Anyway, whilst perusing I came across this Saxon font.
There is  bit of a spiel about it and it rather looks as if in the past it has been changing hands for nothing.  It's current owners appear to be a bit more astute and have put a price of £5,000 on it.  Wonder where that came from?  Surely there can't be a guide price for Saxon fonts?  I was rather astonished at their value, particularly as the item has been standing outside.
As for my little problem, I still don't have a clue about an appropriate price.  It is a genuine millstone and it does work as a water feature.  It's a bit too big for my garden (I have a nice small water feature that is just fine) and as the water is not concealed it is prone to algae so I need to move it on for the safety of the Cairns. Any thoughts or advice gladly accepted as don't want to eBay it until I know a bit more.   Huh
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: The value of things

Have you thought about Sotherby's?
Not sure how appropriate they are for this item, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

can you post a pic?
has it a label anywhere to offer clues?
N/A

Unlike the Saxon font, mine's not very valuable and would not like to take it to an auction as it needs at least two strong men to lift it. Just don't want to undervalue it as I have a habit of doing this or of giving stuff away.  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Go and have a wander round an aquatic centre or search for pebble pools on line - however if it doesn't have a pump included it isn't going to be worth much
N/A

It is working fine Oldjim (as mentioned in original post).  It isn't a pebble pool - the millstone is not resin but a proper one and from what I've seen in the garden centres, they are quite expensive.  Of course these days it's what you can get for things rather than what you'd like.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Isn't the water bubbling over the millstone and back into the pebbles in the trough from where it is recirculated.
If so it comes under the same category
I actually have a millstone like that but as part of a waterfall - it isn't actually a millstone just a shaped piece of rock
N/A

Yes, that's pretty much it.  Think that we'll just have to put it in the local rag with sensible offers invited. Doubtless it'll find its own level as (I suppose) the Saxon font will.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

water feature pumps not that expensive, just got back from buying one. range from £22 upwards, mine was £28
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have a look for an "Architectural Salvage " business.... where they strip old buildings and remove stuff to their yard, and then re-sell the stuff... You could ask them to come and give you a price for it, and then double it, and put it on ebay for that price.... (  you can guarantee they will give you a "trade" price, as they need to make a profit on it... so why not make your own profit on "their" trade price )