cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The use of Church Buildings

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The use of Church Buildings

I am no longer a "religious" type person, due to many things happening to myself, and others in the world that conflict with the "teachings" of the priesthood in general.

However, if others wish to follow their particular religion, I don`t mind... so long as they don`t try to ram it down my throat.

One of the things that "sticks in my craw" so to speak, is the use of the church building, as a market place. i.e selling postcards, and religious tourist stuff inside the church... and also the "morning coffee" mornings with a stall full of cakes and sarni`s and a big urn with boiling water for making tea and coffe...  and worse than that, events such as the BBC program "Flog It"..

These activities seem to go against the religious teachings of Jesus throwing out the traders and moneylenders from the synagogue....telling them it was a place of worship and not a place to be doing business in....

While I do understand that those who run the churches, the priests and vicars, want to encourage more people to come into the church,... for a long time... I have held that this is not the right way to do it.. and probably, actually doesn`t work.

6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: The use of Church Buildings

Far better I would have thought to use the building for something rather than nothing and anyway, is it not just reflection of a society in transition and one where the Church no longer reflects its values?

Here in Wales the traditional non conformist chapel has long been in decline with the larger ones being demolished, the medium ones being taken over as places of worship for other faiths such as Sikh Temples, and the smaller ones being turned into rather smart homes.

Quite frankly I'm at a loss to understand your concern. You say you are no longer religious yet you decry their change of use. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I was brought up in a religious family, and even spent some years as a chorister.... but I have "grown up" since then.and world events and more personal events have steered me away from religion. what I can`t understand, is why those in charge have not "seen the light" as I have... but I am not trying to encourage them to join my "religion".  yet they "pontificate" in front ot the media

What I am saying, in effect... is... if religion is so good for us, why have they gone against the teachings of their leader ?  and still try to convince us that religion is the way forward..  it`s two faced... therefore that is why I am no longer religious.

Minivanman
Hero

Ah right sorry, I took  your post to be about their building rather than your beliefs.

My mistake. Sad 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

The use of churches for commerce is not a new thing.  The middle aisle of the old St Pauls Cathedral in London was set aside for all sorts of trading between the hours of 11am until 6pm. In 1569 the steps outside the cathedral were used for the location of one of the first recorded lotteries which went on day and night for nearly six months. In 1651 the playing of skittles in the cathedral was banned after 11pm.

I think things have probably improved since then!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not relegious myself but the use of church buildings is just one aspect of this.

Going back 40 or 50 years ago there are many things, some of which were at that time considered, ' illegal' are now acceptable in the christain religion which then raises the question, how can something unacceptable become acceptable.

In short the church is changing in line with society but a religion should not be able to change it's core beliefs which are set out in writing by the founders of the church.

Some refuse to accept such changes, thus we see various branches springing up with their own views.

I have nothing against anyone, no matter what their views providing I am not forced to accept those views or suffer from action caused by those views.

Minivanman
Hero

"In short the church is changing in line with society but a religion should not be able to change it's core beliefs which are set out in writing by the founders of the church"

And there's the rub @gleneagles  as I think we both know.

Society has changed but the church has not in many cases which is why the written word should never be sacrosanct and our descendants held hostage to history or in this case, that written word. Water into wine is just hocus pocus as far as I'm concerned. As for those core beliefs - God made man and called Jesus, the Trinity, life after death, and more saints than you can shake a stick at. Really?

How much easier it would have been if they'd just had an unwritten Constitution at the outset!

But we digress.