Fixes: 13

The train now standing.....

12 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 212

Re: The train now standing.....

That's pretty impressive.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yes nice to see people do things like this Thumbs Up 

GOV should give them some cash

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Interesting how now the volunteers have done the expensive and labour intensive bit that the railway company can suddenly find some trains to send down there to make some free money with.

Anyway well done to all the volunteers for their efforts. They've done well.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Now if only we up here in't north where some of the worst of the industrial cuts took place could get some of our railways back, I miss using trains to get about, much faster than buses...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

TBH more of this is better than HS2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Abso-blooming-lutely @rongtw

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

Now if only we up here in't north where some of the worst of the industrial cuts took place could get some of our railways back, I miss using trains to get about, much faster than buses...

One of the few rare things we can agree on.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

That is good to see I must admit.

It's been suggested here in Wales that if they were to restore the hundreds of miles of single track that were ripped up because of Beeching, it would become known as the land of the train as well as the castles. 

Personally, I think they should dig him up and rebury his body under Clapham Junction.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman  Whilst, generally, I agree with your sentiments, about Dr. Beeching... present yourself in his place...

The railways were losing money like an express train, out of control... he was brought in to stem the flow,... his choices were pretty limited, considering the state of the nation`s finances, and the labour market in general.... so he took a lot of statistics about which lines were making the biggest losses, and then chose to close them... admittedly, there may well have been some "collusion", in the way the statistics were collected and presented,  even the possibility of cancelling some trains "due to unreliable engines/rolling stock etc" as an excuse to reduce the number of passengers...

however, it can be said, that closing those lines,... got rid of a lot of out of date and well worn out rolling stock,  whilst putting that loss making money to work on the other (main) lines that were "marginal" ... even into getting the new locomotive power base in place, to replace the labour intesive and coal consuming steam locos.

I think the biggest mistake he made, though, was to actually rip up the tracks and sell of the land to the local landowners, making it almost impossible to restore many lines, that, given the right enthusiasm and management, as with the heritage railways we have today, could well be made to run at a profit.... even if it were, kind of, going back to individual private railway companies with only one or two lines, feeding onto the main routes..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One of the many Beeching mistakes was the line where I used to live that ran between Skipton and Colne, anecdotal claims state a cartographer's error saw the end of that 12 mile section, and it was easier to rip up the line than fix the map, and even today there's political battling going on between the people and the governments of East Lancs. and West Yorks. to get those 12 miles of track rebuilt, it's one of those rare former lines that still has most of it's trackbed in place, bar a few bridges and some intrusion by yellow stone brick houses that can be pushed out of the way with a 'dozer... Smiley

http://selrap.org.uk/SR1_1_project.html

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed @shutter and if not trains them what excellent cycle tracks they make as has been done on an old valley line just outside of Swansea and couples of places nearer to us here in west Wales. Almost on our doorstep we have two sections of track that have tiny steam train running up and down on them and what a fine site they make chuffing along.

As for Beeching well that's debatable and history and events to suggest that his was a brutal solution that tore they heart out of rural communities. Hammer and walnut always comes to mind. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

shutter wrote:

I think the biggest mistake he made, though, was to actually rip up the tracks and sell of the land to the local landowners, making it almost impossible to restore many lines, that, given the right enthusiasm and management, as with the heritage railways we have today, could well be made to run at a profit.... even if it were, kind of, going back to individual private railway companies with only one or two lines, feeding onto the main routes..

except "he" never did that.
he was just brought in as a consultant to advise the government on how to save money.
all decisions and outcomes where that of the government.