cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The tories never learn: Search and Rescue is now being privatised.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The tories never learn: Search and Rescue is now being privatised.

Well done David Cameron! In his quest to further destroy our once reliable public services, he's now privatising the RAF and Navys search and rescue helicopter service.
It will be done by the americans (as usual) who no doubt claimed they could offer a superior service that will ultimately be profit driven. I seem to remember someone cracking a joke here on this forum a while back about needing your chip n pin card when getting rescued.. that may well soon be true. If they go with Ryanairs business model you'll have to pay for the use of the hoist, blanket, anti shock / hypothermia treatment etc.. while they claim the service is still 'free'.
Linky:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-helicopter-search-rescue-ops-sold-211451148--finance.html#lF9U5Pv
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: The tories never learn: Search and Rescue is now being privatised.

The service should not be considered "FREE"  ... I think that all boat owners should pay a fixed contribution towads the cost of running the service.... similar to car insurance.... no insurance... no rescue... from SAR chopper or from RNLI boats.
Of course, people rescued on "shoreside" should still be rescued, but they should also be made to pay a "rescue fee"... at some time after the rescue has taken place, and they get back to their "normal lives"...
This could cause some financial problems to a small minority, but I think a fee of £250 would help towards the fuel costs, if nothing else. 
Community Veteran

Similar things have been said about mountain rescue.
The one rescue that we can be sure will stay free is bank rescue.
Only free for that banks though.
itsme
Grafter

Can't find when Briistow Helicopters which was a UK company became a USA company under Bristow Group.
Bristow have been providing SAR over 50 years in the UK mainly for the Oil fields
Edit: found it
In 1996 Bristow Helicopters was purchased by Offshore Logistics, an American offshore helicopter operator, and was structured as a reverse takeover. The group now operates and maintains a global fleet of over 400 aircraft. In 2006 Offshore Logistics re-branded itself as 'The Bristow Group'.
nadger
Rising Star

I agree that current rescue service provided by RAF, Navy & Coastguards should be kept and not privatised.
They have expertise gained from military service that a private contractor will only get by persuading people to leave the forces and join them.
Seems a very short term method of saving money and not lives.
itsme
Grafter

The company was formed in June 1953 when Alan Bristow changed the name of his company from Air Whaling Limited.
Bristow Helicopters was one of the early suppliers of offshore helicopter services in the United Kingdom, it is also a supplier of Search and Rescue services and of military helicopter pilot training support in the UK. Bristow is a JAA-approved Type Rating Training Organization and Flight Training Organization, holding CAA approvals numbered UK/TRTO - 34 and UK/FTO - 84. Bristow offers courses in JAA-Approved Type Rating, JAA-Approved Instrument Rating, JAA-Approved TRI/TRE, and the AS332 simulator.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Isn`t it strange..... during the normal course of life, I would never have bothered to read all the above information about Bristow`s....
I don`t even read the ingredients on their gravy granules  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Trust you to stir things  Wink
Community Veteran

Bristows have a lot of experience of this function and provide this service for a number of countries around the world with excellent results.  Seems a good move to me.
Community Veteran

There has been a considerable increase in the number of people who call out the rescue teams BUT if you analyse the figures and look at the comments from some of the rescue teams it seems more and more people are going ill equipped into environments that require certain skills and equipment, only last week there was an article in our local paper of a guy who had taken his 12 year old son up an steep fellside covered in snow and ice resulting in the boy falling over 200 feet. Fortunately he recovered after a few days in hospital.
I Often see people wandering about the fells with no idea where they are and simply rely on making a phone call for someone to come and get them.
My point is most of these people should be charged for the service where in the opinion of the rescue team the situation could have been avoided.
Even the teams themselves are less than happy about being called out to many of these avoidable rescues and there is a limit to the amount of time volunteers can give to a service as many may have to take time off work or alter plans to attend rescues.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I bet the new helicopters can't do this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-21932697
The man, from Northern Ireland and in his 40s, was thought to be visiting the Dorset area to walk the coastal path.
A search began after he failed to turn up to a hostel in Lulworth on Sunday night where he had been booked to stay.
Portland Coastguard's helicopter checked caves around Lulworth and Swanage but the man was found later on Monday in London.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Isn`t it strange..... during the normal course of life, I would never have bothered to read all the above information about Bristow`s....
I don`t even read the ingredients on their gravy granules  Cheesy

LOL! Funniest random remark I've read in a long time  Wink
Quote from: gleneagles
BUT if you analyse the figures and look at the comments from some of the rescue teams it seems more and more people are going ill equipped into environments that require certain skills and equipment,

Well soon the only equipment you'll need is Visa  Lips are sealed
Quote from: gleneagles
My point is most of these people should be charged for the service where in the opinion of the rescue team the situation could have been avoided.

Fortunately we're not taxed or charged for human stupidity though once the MPs work out how to exclude themselves from it I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time..
Community Veteran

@gleneagles I agree with you that when someone deliberately puts themselves in danger then they should be charged for the service.
There were two mountain rescue personnel on Breakfast TV yesterday. They were highly critical of some drivers who were not prepared to spend a night in their vehicle had they broken down and they stated that over the past weekend some walkers went out in t-Shirts. Idiots Sad
Normal search and rescue work should remain free and this commitment has already been given by the government. It is nothing but scaremongering to suggest otherwise.
Community Veteran

SAR of non-service people is good practice and training for the crews. When they do have to rescue 'their own' they've certainly had a lot of practise. Now, that will handed to the civilians.  Sad
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
It is nothing but scaremongering to suggest otherwise.

You do realise I was just kidding right?  Wink