Did you mean: 

The thrown boy

Luzern
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 6

Re: The thrown boy

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern 

It would have been impossible to update the many asylums across the country most were well over 100 years old and would really need to have been rebuilt.

The numerous enquiries that highlighted abuse in a number of these places would have made it difficult to sell to the public the amount of money needed to rebuild these places and what return would the government get for spending that money compared to spending it on things the public want .....no additional votes for spending it on the mentally ill.

Then you have the question of staff, I am sure like in all jobs there were some dedicated people who worked in these places but thinking back to the 1950 - 1960 period who would really want to work in such places, I suspect but do not know that there was problems in getting staff to work there, I remember in the 1960 there were plenty of jobs on offer and well paid work for those who wanted it

Oddly enough I do agree with you that there should be places of refuge where those with mental health problems could stay and get appropriate treatment but it's knowing who is mentally ill in the first place, we have created a society where half the population could fit into the bracket of,' Worried well' caused by much of the rubbish people read or see on the news.

@gleneagles What you say about the public and their wants has truth in it, and I acknowledge the problems of old buildings and staff, but the public has to end up paying the costs of getting their wants over maintaining needed institutions.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Aspiring Hero

@nozzer wrote:

@Luzern 

You said about me.. "You mention the care provided by NHS, presumably a criticism but what aspect; staffing, premises, or the coverall- money? If we chose the last, we must blame the governments, past and present, and their purse strings.

That's OK then, until the source of a  government,s purse is opened, and we see its contents are ' grateful' contributions from ourselves.Shocked"

No I didn't. I never mentioned the NHS. :huh:

Apologies @nozzer for the wrong attribution.:embarrassed:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

When a suspected mental health person is sectioned they are held in a secure unit, usually in a hospital’s grounds. Unlike the asylums, where people were kept indefinitely for their own and others protection, the emphasis is on diagnosis, medication and rehabilitation. The staff are very knowledgeable, dedicated and hard working. Having regularly visited one of these wards my first thoughts were why ? Why do the staff select this branch of the health service. Being among the patients in the communal area, 30 mins out of 2 hrs visiting allowed was enough and I was ready to leave. I began to question my own sanity. 

Luzern
Aspiring Hero

@Champnet  On the visiting I felt the same, but with modern knowledge I'd hope that both the need for places of asylum would include diagnostic services.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I didn’t mention it, but i’m sure you saw it, the amount of verbal & physical abuse the staff have to deal with.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Not so sure I'd want to jump on that mentally ill defence bandwagon to be honest given the crazy things some 'sane' people have done, and have asked of others such as the Battle of the Somme (3000,00 deaths) the Charge of the Light Brigade (100 plus killed or wounded)... or Cameron giving around 50 million people the vote on Brexit. :rolleyes: