Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The thrown boy

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

The thrown boy

According to the Guardian

A six-year-old boy allegedly thrown from the viewing platform at Tate Modern suffered a bleed to the brain along with fractures to his spine, legs and arms, a court has heard.

We all know the story, but this news, though not entirely unexpected, is horribly sad.

Alright, we don't have mass shootings in the UK, but we have knife crime, and shocking unexplainable incidents such as this.

I'm thinking our western society is coming to its end: we're regressing to our mammalian forebears.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The thrown boy

Tate pusher 'was scarily intelligent mental health patient who slipped away from minders and threw boy, six, 100ft' before child's mother tried to climb after him - as 17-year-old faces charges today.

A former carer who worked with the alleged attacker last year told The Sun: “He’s one of the most difficult and challenging mental patients I’ve ever encountered.

"He is stockily built and gets angry when he is denied something that he wants or is told what to do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7324759/Tate-Modern-pusher-scarily-intelligent-mental-patie...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9662250/tate-modern-boy-news-mum-rescue-latest/

He will probably be sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983 and will not have to face trial.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Luzern wrote:

I'm thinking our western society is coming to its end: we're regressing to our mammalian forebears.

Dailymail reporting that as usual the 17 year old can't be named due to state protection...

It's no wonder sickos have no fear of the law - the law is so soft and lenient on these screw ups.

If we had a tit4tat legal system that 17 year old would never have committed this brutal act for fear of being chucked over himself.

In incidents such as this where there is witnesses and there is no possible way for justice to be miscarried, there should be a death sentence. I'm not opposed to torture for a few years before death either.

That poor 6 year old will probably never be the same again. Meanwhile his family are going through hell too. Back in the land of soft justice the 17 year old is waited on like a hotel guest, gets access to a gym, TV, education etc...

Her Majesty should intervene in cases like this and take "pleasure" in the punishment of the 17 year old.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

No Sane person would do something like this, clearly he is suffering from some form of mental illness or personality disorder and is clearly a danger to the public, quite likely this would have already been known based on his past behaviour.

Almost certain he will be detained under the mental health act and spend the best part or possibly all of his life in a secure unit.

A enquiry will likely be held to address the many questions regarding this incident and quite likely there  will be emphasis on the lack of funding for mental health services which might have prevented this incident.

Most of us will feel very angry about what has happened, the important thing is to do everything we can to prevent similar incidents.

How this childs mother will cope I simply don't know, equally the life of the child will never be what it would have been due to all those injuries.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@gleneagles wrote:

Most of us will feel very angry about what has happened, the important thing is to do everything we can to prevent similar incidents.

How this childs mother will cope I simply don't know, equally the life of the child will never be what it would have been due to all those injuries.

Hmm... Yes, I am very angry that this has happened... but there is absolutely NOTHING we can do to "prevent similar incidents"... 

What we, the country, and in particular, the government. should be making sure that this family, who came to Britain, for a holiday, should be well looked after.  It should be a matter of conscience that the government do this for them..

They came here, to have a holiday, spend some of their money in our shops, and support our tourism industry, compensation, or whatever you like to call it, should be in the high thousands, if not a "settlement" for life, in these cases, where a whole family, not just the nearest and dearest, will be devastated by what has happened to the young boy, ... He may well have been destined for some fame and fortune, that will not happen now. 

They should not go home, with "just a mention"  in the papers, and on the news.. and be forgotten.

Community Veteran

@shutter 

I fully agree with the contents of your post but am not sure there is nothing we can do to prevent similar incidents.

Of course bad things will always happen, only recently on the news was that chap who pushed someone at a tube station on to the lines and sadly there similar incidents.

Drugs and Alcohol often play a major role in some incidents are these areas that we can do something about ?

As for this particular incident what was a mentally ill person doing on such a high building ? He could have jumped ? unfortunately he did worse than that, clearly he was either a danger to himself and others.....who did the risk assessment ?...Likely a psychiatrist and others...should they also be held accountable.

How many mentally ill people do we see these days in towns and cities, the majority are harmless and likely to be on the receiving end of violence but there are a small number who are very disturbed and should be under constant supervision which they do not get.

Few would want to return to the old days of the Asylums but at least the victorians were making a effort to help the mentally ill by providing accommodation for them and a variety of crude treatments, sadly the good intentions later resulted in a range of enquiries which highlighted the abuse of some patients by staff and that was a major reason the asylums closed, another was money with the assumption community care would be cheaper.....it was...the prison service caters for a fair number of mentally ill people, with a number of others living on the streets.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Seems to be more common than we may realise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/06/man-assaulted-year-old-because-he-was-disrespecting...

Severely fractured skull of a 13 year old because he was disrespecting the National Anthem.

TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I am supprised with todays elf and safety that the viewing gallary has not got safety glass to stop things being dropped over the edge (rubbish, mobile phones,camaras) . If it had been this tragedy could not of happened.:sad:

wotsup
Champion

Too many mentally ill and violent patients wandering around with the system crossing its fingers that nothing happens, and when it does it turns out that these people are known to be a danger to others and we get an inquiry and the normal. 'Lessons learned, it won't happen again blah, blah blah ' platitudes - but the simple fact is it is all down to money, the same reason battered kids are left with abusive parents and eventually, inevitably end up dead, because it costs more to take them into care than to leave them at home.  As for psychiatrists a mentally ill patient or prisoner seem to wrap them round their little finger and act normal so that they get released and then go on to kill someone...what are these people paid taxpayers money for ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

For information... rather than just "bleat about things" on this forum... why not do as I have just done... I wrote to my MP ... regarding asking him to ask a question in Parliament, about how much compensation and care should be given to this family by the government.

Hopefully, it will sting a few of them into some kind of action... hopefully, to give the family the help and compensation they deserve, and as a "by - product" to do something more about the  Mental Care provided by the NHS.

Why not write to your M.P. and jog him/her into some kind of action too.. ?

https://www.writetothem.com/

enter your postcode and follow on from there....

Community Veteran

Good point. Unless you have an MP like we've got who is only interested in furthering his own career. However, we should all be writing more to them instead of just assuming. Make a nuisance of ourselves, they are paid to represent everyone even if you didn't vote for them.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.
wotsup
Champion

My MP gets fairly regular letters and emails from me, as does our local newspaper.  To limit the chances of these kind of things happening a lot of people would  need to be sectioned and be behind walls again, somehow can't see that happening ...... as for psychiatrists the average psychopath / nutter seem to be able to fool them at will, and don't even start me on the parole board decisions ....

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@nozzer wrote:

@shutter wrote:

For information... rather than just "bleat about things" on this forum... why not do as I have just done... I wrote to my MP ... regarding asking him to ask a question in Parliament, about how much compensation and care should be given to this family by the government.

Hopefully, it will sting a few of them into some kind of action... hopefully, to give the family the help and compensation they deserve, and as a "by - product" to do something more about the  Mental Care provided by the NHS.

Why not write to your M.P. and jog him/her into some kind of action too.. ?

https://www.writetothem.com/

enter your postcode and follow on from there....

Good point. Unless you have an MP like we've got who is only interested in furthering his own career. However, we should all be writing more to them instead of just assuming. Make a nuisance of ourselves, they are paid to represent everyone even if you didn't vote for them.

@nozzer You mention the care provided by NHS, presumably a criticism but what aspect; staffing, premises, or the coverall- money? If we chose the last, we must blame the governments, past and present, and their purse strings.

That's OK then, until the source of a  government,s purse is opened, and we see its contents are ' grateful' contributions from ourselves.:shocked:

Before  care in the community became the watchword, there were around London numerous institutions roughly at 10 and 20 miles from the centre. They were grim yet necessary. (My sister was in one, because her mind went after being paralysed in an accident. She died shortly before her 40th; I was 27. That was nearly 10 years of suffering for her).

At the time the Thatcher regime espoused care in the community and the closing of asylums I was very doubtful of the motives; genuine care, or shrugging off the problem of funding.

We made an awful mistake in not keeping asylums available, and even updating them.

@wotsup wrote:

My MP gets fairly regular letters and emails from me, as does our local newspaper.  To limit the chances of these kind of things happening a lot of people would  need to be sectioned and be behind walls again, somehow can't see that happening ...... as for psychiatrists the average psychopath / nutter seem to be able to fool them at will, and don't even start me on the parole board decisions ....

Surprised I am not at his initial sentence. :)! But for what follows, I cannot be other than taken aback, for I would guess he would have approved theThatcher government decision on financial grounds.

So Mr @wotsup Rant aside, what is your final solution?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Luzern 

It would have been impossible to update the many asylums across the country most were well over 100 years old and would really need to have been rebuilt.

The numerous enquiries that highlighted abuse in a number of these places would have made it difficult to sell to the public the amount of money needed to rebuild these places and what return would the government get for spending that money compared to spending it on things the public want .....no additional votes for spending it on the mentally ill.

Then you have the question of staff, I am sure like in all jobs there were some dedicated people who worked in these places but thinking back to the 1950 - 1960 period who would really want to work in such places, I suspect but do not know that there was problems in getting staff to work there, I remember in the 1960 there were plenty of jobs on offer and well paid work for those who wanted it

Oddly enough I do agree with you that there should be places of refuge where those with mental health problems could stay and get appropriate treatment but it's knowing who is mentally ill in the first place, we have created a society where half the population could fit into the bracket of,' Worried well' caused by much of the rubbish people read or see on the news.

Community Veteran

@Luzern 

You said about me.. "You mention the care provided by NHS, presumably a criticism but what aspect; staffing, premises, or the coverall- money? If we chose the last, we must blame the governments, past and present, and their purse strings.

That's OK then, until the source of a  government,s purse is opened, and we see its contents are ' grateful' contributions from ourselves.Shocked"

No I didn't. I never mentioned the NHS. :huh: