cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The state of britain's roads.

Fixes: 47

The state of britain's roads.

Yesterday my car was serviced and tested.
I received a call to say the front offside wheel bearing needed replacing which I agreed to.
Interestingly my Haynes Manual says
The hub bearing is a sealed, pre-adjusted and pre-lubricated, double row ball type and is intended to last the car's entire service life without maintenance or attention

However that was probably written without regard to the state of the roads around here.
I have accidentally hit quite a few bad potholes this year alone and am very surprised my car didn't need more suspension work.
I shall be having a couple of new tyres fitted soon and fully expect the tracking to be out.
This is also the first time I have paid someone to repair a car of mine and it really hurts at £92 for the bearing plus £76 labour.
Sheffield is in year 2 of a 5 year plan to upgrade all roads, paths and lighting across the city.
I seriously doubt the road system will survive that period Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The state of britain's roads.

In January I reported 3 pothole problems to Essex County Council. All 3 were inspected within 48 hours. One was repaired immediately, a second one was repaired within about 5 days and the third one has still not been repaired. I have chased this several times. It is still awaiting repair but not listed as high priority.
Prior to coming away I wrote to the cabinet member at ECC who is responsible for roads and his reply simply reiterates the pothole is on the list of low priority repairs.
If a car is damaged the owner can sue the council for cost of repairs. Recently in Essex a driver went to the Small Claims Court and won his claim. The council also had to pay £300 in costs.

I have reported bad potholes on our road and they have been filled in within 24 hours.
The problem is they are back to as they were within a week.
Our road is due to be resurfaced this year so as long as I only drive on our road I should be ok.
The worst pothole I encountered was at the junction of an inclined main road and an inclined side road.
Turning left off the main road onto the side road meant that the offside front wheel hit the pothole when the wheel and it's suspension were under greater loads.
That probably caused damage to the wheel bearing but how do you go about proving that weeks later?
TORPC
Grafter

There is a couple of potholes adjacent to our cop shop, which is also adjacent to Asda / Sainsburys / Lidls / Aldi etc
I can see the headlines
Police could not attend to an emergency as they had an emergency of their own when the suspension was ripped from their vehicle(s) on a high speed pursuit

They take weeks, sometimes months, before they are repaired, & then only last a couple of weeks then become worse than they were before.
Surely in this day & age, there should be a way to permanently fix the potholes
Community Veteran

I was listening to a radio program the other day and it was about how some people have done well out of potholes.
Garage mechanics were talking about the rise in the number of springs needing to be replaced on cars.
Nice to know some good has come out of poor road maintenance. Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If the Government spent the money it collects from motorists in the form of Road Tax, fuel Duty, Parking Fines and all the rest we would have the best roads in the world, unfortunately they choose to spend much of this money on other things .
My concern is not so much the damage done to cars as they can be repaired but the serious injury or even death of cyclists as a result or accidents due to pot holes.
x47c
Grafter

I live on a private road
and it seems very simple to us
The more potholes we leave  - the slower the speed merchants go
Some residents even want to dig up the tarmac to get the message across on a permanent basis.
Indeed the gov does spend the money it raises from road taxes in general on other things - like the NHS which raises no money from the population.
If we want to start ring fencing road maintenance vs road tax income then we need to start charging for the NHS on  some basis.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Garage mechanics were talking about the rise in the number of springs needing to be replaced on cars.

They seem to be made of cheese these days as they are so fragile and i've heard many people having theirs replaced. I've never suffered this fate yet and our car was a properly built one. The Ka did have a couple replaced a few years ago though.
I did replace a shock absorber once but that came back off when i broke the car - £86 that thing cost me and it's now sat in the shed with less than 30 miles on it Crazy
Suspension (Shocks, springs, top mounts) are easy enough to replace it's the wishbones that i dread. Easy enough on a ka (though you need an array of various tools you never thought you'd need) but on some larger cars you've got to drop the entire subframe and thats a **** job.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: x47c
The more potholes we leave  - the slower the speed merchants go

The main road through our estate was recently fully resurfaced and then changed from a 30mph road into a 20mph road.
With the old road surface you couldn't go faster than about 30mph for fear of the car breaking up around you.
Now with the new smooth surface speeds of 60mph seem to be achievable by some.
Community Veteran

Moons ago we bought a french luxo barge.. I'd been prowling for one for ages and eventually found the perfect one. Went to stoke on trent to buy and the bloke picked us up at the station to take us back to his.
Unfortunately his place was down a road that resembled a farm track and his idea of taking it gently was to go down it so fast that the suspension was worked to the max so he couldn't feel the car dipping and rising  Crazy
Needless to say i had to learn how to dismantle the suspension afterwards and replace the top bearings  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
This is also the first time I have paid someone to repair a car of mine and it really hurts at £92 for the bearing plus £76 labour.
D.O.B. disease?
Community Veteran

Would of been cheaper to buy a hydraullic press and press the old bearing out, new bearing in lol

@Oddball maybe so but it seemed a good idea at the time.
@7up It would have been just as cheap to get a replacement hub complete with bearing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: x47c
Indeed the gov does spend the money it raises from road taxes in general on other things - like the NHS which raises no money from the population.
If we want to start ring fencing road maintenance vs road tax income then we need to start charging for the NHS on  some basis.

There are many other things the government raises taxes on such as Income Tax, Vat and a whole range of things, in fact most of the money we get goes back to the government in some form or another so there should be adequate to fund the NHS.
As a point of interest VAT did not exist at one time, now it's charged at 20% on some things including services so where is all this money going ? Our money to be more accurate.
Community Veteran

But we used to have purchase tax prior to VAT but I can't remember the level it was at.