cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The state of Firefox

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: The state of Firefox

@Razer seamonkey have also removed the ability to block plugins such as flash and in the process they've forcefully re-enabled them. Imagine my horror to find flash freezing my browser again after only just stopping it a few weeks ago  Roll eyes
I'm getting fed up with the mozilla based browsers now. They're becoming as bad if not worse than IE.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

Like you, Razer, I've stayed with FireFox (currently on 21.0) due to blind loyalty.
My FF crashes ever couple of days.
Having said that, I ride any browser pretty hard:

• I  leave my PC on for days at time with Firefox open

• I have around 150 tabs open at any one time

• I always restore my last session

I did use Chrome for a few months, and was relatively happy with it, but I went back to FF.
Trouble is, as FireFox has extensions that provide functionality I can not do without, I'll put up with crashes (which, to be fair, FireFox handles very well).
I stayed on FireFox 19 (I think) when the updated version broke the Tabs Group Manager add-on, which is essential for enabling my web page gluttony.
I think FireFox and Chrome are equally good and equally bad in different ways:-
FF still sucks up memory, but Chrome launches dozens of process threads, so swings and roundabouts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

I haven't lost the ability to disable plugins nor have had any plugins automatically re-enabled in Firefox 23 and SeaMonkey 2.20.
kdoug007
Grafter

i   guess i will be shouted at, i actually  dumped  my  firefox last  week,,
am now  on google  chrome ( yes i dont  save  passwords)
i  find it  fantastic,,  double the  speed that my IEP  does,,  is  so  stable ,,
best thing  i ever  did..
if  there  was a  moane , its  a  pity  no  favourites..  section
 although i  did  import the  sites  i use,
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
You probably didn't see this then http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/f/4259998-heads-up-on-upcoming-firefox25-changes.html?o=7

OMFG. It looks like I'll be off to this palemoon, then. And I think that guy is right, Mozilla HAVE lost the plot.
Quote from: Sprite
I'm getting fed up with the mozilla based browsers now. They're becoming as bad if not worse than IE.
I've been thinking the same myself for a while now.
Quote from: CaptainFantastic
Trouble is, as FireFox has extensions that provide functionality I can not do without, I'll put up with crashes (which, to be fair, FireFox handles very well).

Actually, it has to be said, it does, though happily I've not had any for a while now. Since v22, I think.
... which is essential for enabling my web page gluttony.

Made me laugh! OM NOM NOM. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

have around 150 tabs open at any one time

What on earth do you use that many tabs for? lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kdoug007
Grafter

wooo  150...  is that for BINGO
Glenn
Grafter

@ Razer....I recently started using FF 22.0...upgraded from 17.01 and the copy & paste is working fine for me  Smiley
FF 25 forcing tabs on top and removing the add on bar is a total nightmare for me...there's no reason for it and I don't want to use Firechrome.
Angry
In the attached pic is how my FF looks...I love the add on bar...guess I'll be staying on 22.0
Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I just had a look at Opera as a possible alternative to the increasingly unreliable Firefox.  Opera version 15 has changed very much for the worse compared to Opera 12 so I won't be taking that option.
(e.g. I couldn't get Import Bookmarks to work and although I could add the English UK dictionary I could not replace English US as the default both of which were simple in version 12.)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

In the light of several comments on this thread..... I have disabled "auto update" on FIrefox..... and  added  " Ask me which ones to install"...
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Glenn
@ Razer....I recently started using FF 22.0...upgraded from 17.01 and the copy & paste is working fine for me  Smiley

Sorry, just thinking. It IS linked to systems with ZoneAlarm installed (and maybe other software, I can't recall). Whilst we would think 'well it's a ZA problem', apparently it's not, it's FF.
Glenn
Grafter

@ shutter...if you have a recent version of FF...also unselect "use a background service to install updates"...otherwise it'll just update you in the background without your permission even though you told it to ask you...that's how I got to FF 22.0 from 17.01 the other week
Shocked
@ Razer...ahh I get you...I use Avast...but yeah it's bad coding by Firefox that caused it in the first place
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

I use an add-on called Tabs Group Manager which adds an extra toolbar to Firefox.
The toolbar can be set to auto-hide, and anyway on I'm F11 - Fullscreen most of the time.
Tabs Group Manager err... groups tabs.
It's probably easier to look at the attached screencap.
I have a group for Weather which has webpages for my local weather forecast and recent observations: I can call it up with the keystroke Ctrl+Alt+2
the Danny Baker group (yes, I'm a Dan Fan) has his Radio 5 Live page, Facebook and Twitter: I can call it up with the keystroke Ctrl+Alt+3
and so on.
I load these every time.
I suppose it's like having your bookmarks open all the time.
I prune these from time to time: the "Oops, sorry we crashed" dialog is handy for deleting pages.
I'm not saying this is desirable, or even sane, but it works for me,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Thanks Glenn,,.... just checked.... not ticked !...  Wink
Roberto0151
Grafter

I'm on Firefox 23.0.1, and though I usually don't use it, I have found the add on  bar perfectly accessible by right clicking on the tabs bar.