cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The state of Firefox

Razer
Grafter

The state of Firefox

Detesting Internet Explorer I relatively quickly became a user of Mozilla Suite in the late 1990s and was glad for the speed improvement over IE. When Mozilla Suite became SeaMonkey, I continued to use it, still enjoying the better speeds over IE. When Firefox was developed I resisted switching to Firefox for a long time because I didn't like the idea that a lot of the basic functionality of SeaMonkey was missing and required the separate download and installation of 'addons'. After some time, however, I eventually switched and didn't find it so bad to have a 'bare-bones installation of SeaMonkey' and going to the effort of seeking out the addons I wanted, all the while still enjoying the speed of the browser.
So here we are with Firefox having just recently released version 21 and for some time now I find the browser to be very sluggish, taking too long to load and too long to get pages. Since version 20 I experience very regular crashes and was experiencing some graphical anomalies with dialogues. With each version released and the subsequent backups I make, I find them getting bigger and bigger. I can't help but wonder:
Has Firefox become unstable, bug-laden and slow bloatware? What's happened to the zippy client that it used to be?
29 REPLIES
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: The state of Firefox

Sorry I cant comment on Firefox as i've not used it for a while but having tried all of the popular browsers I have been fairly happy with Google Chrome for the last 2 or 3 years. It it reasonably fast and has no major issues as far as i'm concerned. Might be worth a try for you?
James
Grafter

I find Firefox exceptionally slow compared to Chrome.
shalom2010
Grafter

Agreed on Chrome. I've been using the Canary build (currently 29) for over 6 months now. Although the occasional version crashes, it's generally very stable and of course a very up to date (nightly) build.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I dumped Firefox when they first switched to the rapid development cycle to keep up with Google and become an unstable buggy joke as a result.
Has it improved?
Fixes: 47

I use Waterfox the 64 bit Firefox variant.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I tried chrome(ium) but it was just too much of a resource hog, that and the fact the addons I use all the time weren’t available on chrome. I occasionally use opera, for the couple of sites that FF will not work on (like ebid).
Community Veteran

Still use Pale Moon 12 (Firefox variant). No problems with eBid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I never could get on with FF so I still use seamonkey Smiley
Great program, sure it doesn't have some of FF's features and it is a little neglected compared to FF but it's still a very stable browser.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Well, I'm still using firefox, so it's perhaps my own fault to find that new releases have annoyed and angered me further. Having updated to version 22 it took me some time to realise it had a bug - copy/paste was broken. It proved to be a major annoyance, but I waited and coped until it was fixed in version 23. I just installed that a few days ago. Then a couple of days ago I was prompted to update again, to version 23.0.1. I got to wondering what could have changed in such a short time, so I took a look at the change log. Not much, but to my great annoyance I found that in their 'wisdom' and continuing arrogance, they have since 23 just removed the ability to access Javascript settings in the Options dialogue. Not only have they removed it (the basic setting and consequently the advanced settings), but they also saw fit to return the settings back to default, without asking users if they would be happy with that.
If you don't realise what the advanced settings pertain to, when you get those annoying sites where you go to right click to either copy text or a picture and find you can't, it's done with javascript. When you find a window gets moved or resized without asking you, and which is really, really annoying, that's Javascript too. I have for a long time had my browser set to disable the ability of annoying website 'designers' from doing these things, but now the FF development people have seen fit to set things back. As said, without asking. To me this just reflects a continuing arrogance with what they are doing with FF, a la, 'we think such and such and so you will do and have as we want; never mind what you want'.
Knowing the settings must still be in about:config but not knowing what they are, I got to searching and (amongst reading plenty of bile from other users [Censored] off at the change), I found the about:config lines for the advanced settings. For any other member who might want them:
Advanced JavaScript Settings
Allow scripts to:
    Move or resize existing windows: Uncheck this option/preference to disable moving and resizing windows using scripts.
       In about:config: dom.disable_window_move_resize
       (default=false, set to true to block sites)
   [ ] Raise or lower windows: Uncheck this option/preference to make sure scripts cannot raise (bring to the front) or lower (send to the back) windows.
       In about:config: dom.disable_window_flip
       (default=true, set to false to allow sites)
    Disable or replace context menus: Uncheck this option/preference to prevent web pages from disabling or changing the Firefox context menu.
       In about:config: dom.event.contextmenu.enabled
       (default=true, set to false to block sites)

I would have gone back to version 22 but for the copy/paste being broken.
I didn't ignore suggestions here to try chrome. I resisted them and continue to. I really don't like the idea of using a google browser. Google is too big, sticking their fingers (and noses) into every pie in existence. Before long it will be Google Government (free of charge but subject to advertisements, sort of - "This is a GoogleGovernment™ announcement: In the first quarter the national GDP was 3%, a 0.75% increase above that of the Asian markets. [Lonely and looking for a partner? Find beautiful Asian brides at 'MeLoveULongTime.com'] Meanwhile the predicted GDP for the next quarter will be 4%. Don't forget to join GoogleGovernment+™ and share your photographs with your friends*.

*may include GoogleGovernment™.)

I think ultimately I might have to go way back to SeaMonkey.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Razer
*may include GoogleGovernment™.)

I miss-read that as 'Googlemovement'!!    Smiley  Smiley
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Another big annoyance coming in with version 23.0 is the removal of hide single tab when only one is in the window. To bring this back you have to install an extension.
Ever since the fast tracking of Firefox releases they (Mozilla corp.) have been making more and more mistakes & stupid decisions. There's also this blind following of what Chrome is doing rather than what their users want.
One of their biggest mistakes, in my point of view, was to drop the embedded Gecko project. This in effect killed off many smaller streamlined browsers, Camino being the most prominent seeing as it was under Mozilla's own projects listing.
Razer
Grafter

Oh, you just reminded me of something else I was going to moan about. Grin 'extensions'. I'm getting really pissed off as each of these arrogant changes are made and when I look into them and find others unhappy, the repeated responses from these people who make the changes is more and more frequently becoming 'well you can have it if you install this addon'. I don't want another fucking addon! I don't want to be repeatedly replacing simple options with more and more bloat with extension upon extension, addon, upon addon. GRRRR! Seriously it really does make me wonder if they are purposely trying to destroy Firefox.
Quote from: doris
I miss-read that as 'Googlemovement'!!    Smiley  Smiley

That would be some 'serious shit'. Grin
Thunderclap
Grafter

The best FF was 3.6.X - This version did not support all HTML5 standards and had issues with IFRAMES, but was inherently stable and loaded fast - it was certain AddOns that bloated it. Now FF is on version what? FF is also bundled with many Linux distros such as Ubuntu. I wonder how many iterations Firefox OS for mobile will go through?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54