Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The speed of light....

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

The speed of light....

If in the near future if we manage to be able to travel at the speed of light, what might our internet connections be like  Grin Will we still get lag Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The speed of light....

Technically our internet IS speed of light. It's all sent down fibre optic cables all over the ocean floors etc. The only delay is the servers that process the information.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or when it reaches the twisted pair !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Speed_of_a_telephone_signal_in_a_copper_wire
The speed of light is approximately 3x10^8ms (exactly 299,792,458 m/s), but electric signals don't travel that fast in conductors. They travel anywhere from 40% up to 95% of that speed, depending on properties of the cable (the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the copper is a big factor).
Twisted pair copper cabling used in telephone wiring tends to be on the lower end, somewhere between 40% to 70%. So a good estimate is somewhere between 120,000,000 m/s to 210,000,000 m/s.
(The drift speed of electrons in a wire is much slower, on the order of millimeters per second. Electric signals travel through conductors as an electromagnetic wave.)

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
The speed of light is approximately 3x10^8ms (exactly 299,792,458 m/s),...

That's the speed of light in a vacuum. In glass it is approximately 2/3 of that speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
community
Grafter

Tell me someome please how this theory equates with what I was taught at school that "the light from the sun takes 8 minutes to reach the earth ? (I was also taught that the sun is approximately 9million miles away) (I learned my linformation when we were imperial not metric)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Apparently it's nearer 100 million miles (not that I've measured it).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Nearer still to nineTY million miles. I think that Community's memory  dropped a zero.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=distance+earth+sun
Fixes: 47

When I was a kid it was 93 million, now it's 94 million probably due to the expansion of the universe thing. Undecided
Anyway 8.5 minutes for the Sun's light to reach Earth and about 1.5 seconds for the Moon's reflected light to reach Earth.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro

The Earth's orbit is not circular but elliptical. The Sun-Earth distance varies throughout the year and the shape of the ellipse also noticeably changes over longer periods. The WolframAlpha link above says current Sun-Earth distance is 94.46 million miles. But is also says that is 1.02 times the mean distance.
94.46/1.02=92.16 so the mean distance is 92.16 million miles.
So, depending on which day of the year Strat was told the distance 93 million miles could have been correct.
Community Veteran

Quote from: ukste
If in the near future if we manage to be able to travel at the speed of light, what might our internet connections be like  Grin Will we still get lag Tongue

I'll still be on ADSL1
OutOfReach!! *shakes fist*
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Speed_of_a_telephone_signal_in_a_copper_wire
The speed of light is approximately 3x10^8ms (exactly 299,792,458 m/s), but electric signals don't travel that fast in conductors. They travel anywhere from 40% up to 95% of that speed, depending on properties of the cable (the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the copper is a big factor).
Twisted pair copper cabling used in telephone wiring tends to be on the lower end, somewhere between 40% to 70%. So a good estimate is somewhere between 120,000,000 m/s to 210,000,000 m/s.
(The drift speed of electrons in a wire is much slower, on the order of millimeters per second. Electric signals travel through conductors as an electromagnetic wave.)

But that assumes we would be using cable, in the future connections might be via satellite, assuming this was the case how would this affect the figures ?
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The future of Internet connectivity is unlikely to be via satellite simply because of how far away they are and the latency they therefore introduce.
At a distance of some 35,000km from the Earth the signal takes upwards of 250ms for a round trip. Assuming we can't break the laws of Physics this limitation is here to stay. Some mitigation might be afforded by multiple feeds, optimisation (compression, spoofing, caching, etc) and inter-satellite routing but for outright performance it can't beat fibre and much shorter links.
Mathew
Fixes: 47

When sub-space communications are developed latency shouldn't be as big a problem Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was ust thinking the same Strat.  It was good enough for James Kirk after all.  From what I remember I'd assume he mainly used VOSS which would require pretty low latency for the distances involved.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.