cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The social mores of hugging

N/A

The social mores of hugging

Was driving home the other afternoon and saw two schoolgirls hugging each other before parting company. I thought back to my own school days some ..........years ago and I can say absolutely that my friends and I never embraced when saying good bye. We just said the parting words and went our way.
These days, you watch TV and it seems that everyone is hugging and kissing each other - often folk who are not even known to each other very well.
Phil and Kirsty on the Relocation programme being typical of this behaviour - they are both quite fond of the 'air kiss'.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me where all this has come from? I wonder if it is because we like each other more than we did and want to show it or if it is just a convention that has to be displayed because every one  does it  i.e. that it is trendy?  Personally, I can't be doing with it. I have many dear friends but have never felt the need to hug them!
Perhaps it is a generational thing and if so, which one?  Huh
13 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: The social mores of hugging

I think that it's from the USA.
Fixes: 47

My 22 year old Daughter hugs all her friends and relatives when they meet.
I don't by default but will return one if offered.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
thisoldman
Grafter

txs for your reply poppy.
Hugging is not generational. Adam hugged eve and the disciples hugged each other.
A freudian interpretation would suggest that the act of hugging  gives both parties a sense of belongingness and security. People hug in dance halls  weddings  in the street and at funerals. Its simply a mutual attempt to achieve closeness and belongingness.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One I cannot get used to is "Fist" or "Knuckle Bump", not sure wether to offer a fist or a hand. Is it a generation thing.
As for hugging only older female family members.
N/A

Whoops - just realised that I'm a 'hugger' too!  Every day I pick up one or other of the Cairns and and give them a quick embrace. Have even been known to do the same with Holly and my friend's Border Terrier Katy!  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My daughter who's a born-again-Christian of the happy-clappy variety, spends almost the entire Sunday morning service hugging somebody in that arms thrown round the shoulders way that is the "modern" way it seems.
I carry buses full of teenage students and to a man (er! more correctly girl, as the boys don't do it) they all greet each other every day with the same sort of round-the-shoulder hug as described above, some also go in for a lot of air-kissing as well (the girls that is) the fact that they only saw each other the previous evening makes the whole amusing spectacle fascinating to watch.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

I am not a "hugging" type [though I hug my doggy!] and I think it boils down to way you were brought up - my parents were never overly affectionate in public[though married 52 yrs] so I behave same way generally but will hug if people need support, or greeting a close member of family of friend.
I think a lot of this public display of affection is generated b watching on TV/film etc
Community Veteran

It's a British thing. However the youngsters are beginning to change that. They are influenced on the hugging and kissing but not just from the USA. Most European countries have a hugging and kissing culture as do the Middle East.
My daughter has a French boyfriend and when we visit his family it is kisses all round. When greeting people I get a kiss on each cheek each time off all the men as well as the women. That is the way it is.
Having experienced many cultures over the years I have learned to accept these things.  
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
One I cannot get used to is "Fist" or "Knuckle Bump", not sure wether to offer a fist or a hand. Is it a generation thing.

Fist or knuckle bumping is very common after a sports event.  Played tennis this afternoon and knuckle bumped when we finished.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My daughter has a French boyfriend
I hope thats not French kissing, but the EU variety
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Santiago
It's a British thing.

Are you sure about that? I think a lot of it is picked up from Australian TV soaps. Not to mention the effected twangy way that girls (in particular) say No! these day, which almost certainly started in Neighbors.
Hi 5's, the teenage boy equivalent of the girls hugs probably is U.S based, from Basketball and American Football.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Sorry, to clarify, I meant "not hugging and kissing"  was a British thing.
Quote from: Strat
I don't by default but will return one if offered.

*Santiago smiles and looks at the diary to arrange meeting in Sheffield  Tongue
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
My daughter has a French boyfriend
I hope thats not French kissing, but the EU variety

EU of course!