cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The romance of sail - I don't think so

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The romance of sail - I don't think so

The Alan Villiers film from 1929 on the fullship Grace Harwar. They said she cost a man on every trip. It cost the life of Alan Villiers cameraman on this, but she was a beauti.
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: The romance of sail - I don't think so

Not sure what is meant by 'It cost the life of Alan Villiers cameraman on this'

Was stupid enough to pay good money to sail on the sister ship of the above. 10 days at sea with most in a force 6-8 gale.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Neither am I - I should have checked - this is what appears to have happened - it was Alan Villiers friend and presumably cameraman who died
http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-ships/facts/ships-and-seafarers/the-photography-of-alan-villier...
After a few months in Europe, Villiers returned to Tasmania, but only for a short time. He and his friend and fellow journalist, Ronald Walker, decided to make a documentary film to record the last of the great sailing ships before it was too late. They signed on with the Grace Harwar, the last full-rigger in the Australian trade, and sailed for England. The voyage was harrowing. Walker was killed in an accident and the second mate had a breakdown as a result. The ship was under-provisioned and the crew developed scurvy. Villiers recorded the experience on 6000 feet of film and later in his book By Way of Cape Horn.
randpwar
Grafter

What a beautiful ship. I'll show this to my lad as he does lots of sailing (and kayaking) with his Sea Scouts; he’d give his hind teeth to sail on this one
itsme
Grafter

It's not a holiday, you are a paying crew member and they run a 3 section Watch system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_system.
itsme
Grafter

The Force 6-8 gale I experienced was a good start to Ellen MacArthur 2004/05 around the world record attempt. We were one side of the depression going head on into the gale, she was the other side with the gale giving her a push start to her record attempt.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: itsme

Was stupid enough to pay good money to sail on the sister ship of the above. 10 days at sea with most in a force 6-8 gale.

Yeah.... but.... gives you an edge on the "tall stories" going the rounds in the pub in the evening.....
Lots of "scuttlebutt" and sea shanty tales to tell, and everyone else "in awe" of your experience....