Did you mean: 

The rising number of female doctors is "bad for medicine",

Bob_Milton
Grafter

The rising number of female doctors is "bad for medicine",

14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: The rising number of female doctors is "bad for medicine",

Bob - how about you include at least a quote from one of these sites you keep linking to, or some sort of opinion on what you are linking to.
All these threads that just start with a link seem like hard work!
Bob_Milton
Grafter

James,
I think it is important to see what an article says, that possibly prevents misunderstanding. I'm sorry if you find it heavy going.
Bob
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full link of previous post : Please read the link:rules
N/A

Not heavy going as such, but it would be interesting to know your POV on the articles in question, as well as a little synopsis of the site you are linking to.
Just my preferences you understand - if you find it useful to just post links up - feel free to continue. Wink
Bob_Milton
Grafter

James,
Alright then, I relent, I think that this doctor is totally wrong.
Bob
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m inclined to agree..... just posting a link, means nothing to me, and only once in a while do I click on it, more out of curiosity, than real interest.... however, if there is a "lead" pov to it then I consider that it must be worth at least a quick look to see if I agree or disagree with the op pov (original poster point of view) for those who don`t know.... Undecided
Bob_Milton
Grafter

I guess I can only try to get people to read more than a headline.
But that's life.
Anyway just try it now and again, it won't hurt. That's what the girl said to the soldier isn't it.
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full link of previous post : Please read the Forum Rules
James
Grafter

I really don't care whether or not it hurts.
If we sent you an email with just a link, you would complain.  I'm rather unlikely to read threads that merely contain a link without context.  Merely posting links is a just a pain from my perspective and not dissimilar to spam.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

James-eh,
It wouldn't worry me old fella.
regards,
Bob
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a female optician bob, would you like me to make an appointment?
Anyway just try it now and again, it won't hurt. That's what the girl said to the soldier isn't it.
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full link of previous post : Please read the forum Rules
Bob_Milton
Grafter

No thanks old chap.
I have an appointment with a NHS consultant (male or female, I don't know), later in the year.
You know they look after the old folks.
They keep constant checks on my blood pressure as well.
And give me a bunch of pills. All for free, but I've paid my dues haven't I.
It's being cheerful that keeps me asking if you are alright, are you?
alanb
Grafter

I heard this interview on BBC radio today and wasn't particularly impressed by most of what I heard.
Professor Dacre strongly emphasised that people who wished to see a doctor of their own sex should have a right to do so, and she's right of course, but when the interviewer asked her if it was therefore a problem if (as is expected in a decade or so) 75% of GP's will be female, she tried to change the subject and started rattling on about the lack of female representation in her own field of medicine. When pressed on it, she suggested that as so many female doctors don't continue their medical careers, it was right that we train three times as many women as men to ensure equal representation of female and male doctors - I'm all for equal opportunities but it seems silly to try to force equality of outcome in this way at such expense.
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: James_H
Bob - how about you include at least a quote from one of these sites you keep linking to

... aren't there copyright issues with quoting from news sites?  It's probably a widespread-enough practice for it not to get followed up, but I had the idea it wasn't allowed, somehow :/

Penny.
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
dgdclynx
Grafter

Female doctors are fine by me but, of course, there would be some things I would want to discuss with a male doctor only. The GP I see is a part-time female which means I may have to wait three weeks for an appointment with her. She is a very good doctor but a bit rigid in her thinking sticking firmly to the book in the way a male doctor wouldnt. That is the way women are when working in my experience. Being past 65 I have many medical appointments cos I have many problems and you get checked very frequently but I have few complaints.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgdclynx
...The GP I see is a part-time female which means ...

Makes me wonder what she is the rest of the time?  Wink
I don't have a problem with female doctors and the last one I had was one of the best GPs I have encountered so far. With regard to the recruitment / training side I do not agree with discrimination (positive or negative) and believe that the best candidates should be selected. Taking the idea to the extreme it would mean each GP surgery would have to look at its own patient list and ensure that the doctor male / female ration meets the patient one.
On a similar vein would this mean that there should be more male nurses available at GP practices for consultation?