Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The return of BRITISH RAIL!!!! (kinda)

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The return of BRITISH RAIL!!!! (kinda)

Well.. in spirit and as close as we'll get anyway.. however we're finally heading back towards our very much beloved British Rail.

"Great British Railways" is the name.. Grant Shapps has decided to scrap Notwork Fail and the franchise system and mostly take it all back in house!

More:

screenshot-1248

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES 15
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: The return of BRITISH RAIL!!!! (kinda)

Hmm.... a bit of a "contradiction of terms" on that 

The name is being changed,... from Network Rail.... to Great British Railways.... which doe sound "rather nice"... but if you read it properly, the  responsibilties, will still be for " Track , Signals and Tunnels ".. which is, in effect.... " No Change"... 

The "headline" states that the "complex franchise system axed"  ... but does not say that GBR is going to actually run the trains, or be responsible for bringing down the fares...

Sounds like a whole "wasps nest" of infrastructure and complex negotiations will be taking place, before the fares come down.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

And, although I've only skim-read the BBC News story, our 'efficient, impartial' Civil (Dis)service might get involved - eek!

John
7up
Community Veteran

It's a step in the right direction though.. At least Grant Shapps has got the ball rolling.

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Long awaited sequel : "The return of British Rail : The rise of the unions"

shutter
Community Veteran

This report in the Daily Express, has a bit more "guts" to the story, of how it will work....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1438631/british-rail-network-revolutionise-travel-boris-johnson

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

One interesting proposal,  ­flexible season tickets. Following a serious illness I returned part time only working three days a week but I still had to buy the full £9k season ticket. I eventually changed my working hours to 12-8 so I could buy a cheap day return ticket each day.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

You cannot compare the British Rail Network of the past to the Rail network of today.

Whilst I do not have the figures far fewer people were using trains in those days compared to the numbers using them now.

I have always been puzzled how railways can avoid health and safety issues for passengers, imagine carriages packed with standing passengers and a accident occurring at high speed, unlikely but not impossible.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Whilst I do not have the figures far fewer people were using trains in those days compared to the numbers using them now..

This is a point that i've mulled over many times too. It doesn't really make sense either. Would you willingly pay a lot more for your ticket even though the government is also chipping in just for a shiny train with less foam in the seats and a orange LED scrolling display?

I suspect it might have something more to do with the growth of our country and economy - more jobs and all that. Afterall, you're not going to get more people travelling on trains every day because they've got the day off so jobs must have something to do with it - that and parking and road congestion are getting a lot worse.

shutter
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

I have always been puzzled how railways can avoid health and safety issues for passengers, imagine carriages packed with standing passengers and a accident occurring at high speed, unlikely but not impossible.

Interesting thought.......  Morning and evening commuter trains, seem to be breaking the law, every day.   or are they?Huh

We have a law that says, everyone must be wearing a seatbelt, unless medically excused, when travelling in a car or van or lorry, on the roads.   and the police come down hard on people who do not apply that law, to themselves, or their passengers.

Why is there not such a law on railway and bus and coach travel ?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Kinda indeed but it ain't going to happen overnight.

A  good start with changes to season tickets making their use far more flexible, as for the rest well it ain't Stephenson's Rocket science that if they are going to put prices up yet again then make it conditional on getting a seat to sit in as travelling all the way from Paddington to Carmarthen as I have done and not being able to take the weight off my feet until Swansea was well out of order.

They mean well, let's hope they do it well.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman    There`s an old saying...  .... even PN used it ....

Give us time..... and we`ll get there.....  

... oh no... that was PN corruption of the BR logo..

We`re  getting there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80Gt0rG8Jo

@7up  this https://www.shonellerton.com/20170401-british-rail-secret-scheme/ might interest you  ! ! !..

It doesn`t get really interesting, until about half way through... but well worth a read ! ! ! ..

jab1
Seasoned Hero

You nearly got me there, @shutter - until about a third of the way through, where it became slightly obvious the author was on a wind-up journey.😂

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1    Ah... But.... Was he ? ? ?    That is the question...

When Beeching wanted to cut costs ... he , or his minions, organised the branch lines and others that he decided were not making money, to start a period of low maintainance on rolling stock and engines.. ( ostensibly to "save money" ) in effect, the service deteriorated, and then the station staff were reduced, and later on, required to do "passenger number returns to head office".. which, began to show a decline in usage, due to the unreliability, thus "proving the point" that "this branch line" is no longer necessary and just wasting money, therefore it shall be closed.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

I understand what you say above, @shutter - but did you read the final comment - something to the effect of 'April Fool'? 😉

John