Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The renewable energy con: how the 'clean' power you buy comes from fossil fuels

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

The renewable energy con: how the 'clean' power you buy comes from fossil fuels

The following is a modified piece from the DT of 11 August. Is it a con, I'll leave that for you to decide, but i feel that consumers, who claim they use 100% renewable are kidding themselves. What comes down the wires originates from many sources, so such claims are posturing.

Households on 100pc renewable energy tariffs may be getting as little as 3.7% from truly green sources.
Renewable tariffs are cheaper than ever’ but consumers may not be getting what they bargained for, according to Tom
Harrison of Good Energy, which that buys all its power from renewable sources. Providers can offer green tariffs in two ways; buy clean energy direct from wind or solar farms, or purchase a renewable energy guarantee of origin certificate (Rego) to show that they are offsetting the unclean energy they market as green.
These can be bought for as little as £1. Any generator of renewable power can apply for a Rego, issued by the Government, and then sell it on to an energy
supplier. The issue is that a firm can buy them without purchasing the actual energy created. This means that customers'
money does not go as far in protecting the planet from consuming non-renewable resources and combating climate change. Mr Harrison said, Regos were a nice little marketing trick, calling for consumers to be given all the facts to allow them to make a proper decision about how they want to spend their money. If you bought a green tariff you would expect your money to go towards the generator at the other end in a meaningful
way, he said. A Rego-only tariff isn’t doing that. Analysis by Good Energy, suggests Shell Energy’s 100pc renewable tariff could get as little as 3.7pc of its power
directly from renewable sources, while just half of E.On’s newly launched green tariff is made of clean power. In both cases, the remaining portion would be provided via Regos. Good Energy’s green tariffs were given a permanent exemption from regulator Ofgem’s price cap on Aug 1. Renewable deals from Ecotricity and Green Energy UK are also exempt. These are the only tariffs the regulator considers to be fully clean. According to Uswitch, the two cheapest deals on the market are now renewable; costing £846 and £867. The cheapest
non-renewable tariff is £873. But Mr Harrison cast doubt on whether a truly renewable tariff could be this affordable. Good Energy’s cheapest tariff is £1,350. He said: You get what you pay for; how can a 100pc renewable tariff as the cheapest on the market? The answer is it’s not really renewable.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
wotsup
Champion

Re: The renewable energy con: how the 'clean' power you buy comes from fossil fuels

I don't know if renewable energy electrons are green and fossil fuel are black or if the ones from nuclear and pumped storage are any specific colour but all the electricity coming into your house comes through the same cable whether or not you are with a green company or not.  All electricity is fed into the same grid and is mixed up together in the process,  how any company can say they supply 100% green energy is beyond me, unless there is a filter on the new smart meters ( like a doorman) that only allows green electrons through and sends the rest back to the grid - looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

Same with Gas, how do you know if it is Russian, Norwegian,  North Sea gas or frozen gas shipped in tankers from Malaysia to Milford Haven coming out of the pipe in your house,  water companies are different as they are regional have their own pipes and networks so you don't get to choose Scottish or Malvern water .......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: The renewable energy con: how the 'clean' power you buy comes from fossil fuels

Clearly it is either a con or misleading at the very least.

So where does the trades description act or the watchdog that monitors what adverts contain and ban them if they are misleading not take action ?

Highlighted
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 89

The concept is ridiculous. When smart meters are clever enough to cut off just 'green' consumers when a windmill farm shuts down or the sun doesn't shine then I will change my mind.

TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Isnt it to do with carbon offset charges that are paid in the price of green energy not where it is actually produced. Might be wrong tho?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Unless you live off grid and self sustainable or deep in the Amazon forest doing the same, we all consume engery that is not renewable if only in the products we buy from beer for the fridge (just bought some) or using the car to go and get it... oh, and making that car to go and get it.

And let's assume that there is such a thing, do you think the existing economic structure would allow it? Just imagine the collapse of world order if cars used no fuel or houses were heated for free. We'd all have to eat cauliflower cheese. :rolleyes:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Plenty of ways to make fuel "for free", just needs investment of time and physical labour, easiest one is woodgas, where in the charcoal making process you capture the gases released into a gasometer of somesort, and from there you can use it for heating, cooking, lighting (with gas mantle lamps) or fuel for a generator... Smiley

Only downside is it mostly produces the favourite nightnight gas that is Carbon Monoxide, so not exactly safe if incompetence is involved, but, needs must... :crazy: