Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "scroogled" campain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The "scroogled" campain

Is getting really silly now:
latest ad:
"This isn't a real laptop," one says. "It doesn't have Windows, it doesn't have Office. Without Wi-Fi it doesn't do much at all and when you are online, Google tracks what you do so they can sell ads. That's how you get scroogled."

Ohh so to be a laptop it has to have windows & office on it eh? Since whenHuhHuh I personally haven't seen any of these ads that Google is supposed to plaster all over your mail. However when I last used/cleaned a M$ pc there were plenty of ads all over TT and Orange web/email sites. But mind you they were using IE  Crazy Cry
So I guess none of my several laptops are real, they must be illusionary.  Grin
Now I don't like chromebooks but, then again wasn't it M$ that was/is having the xbox 1 online CONTINUALLY? If you are offline you loose the ability to do things? - hearsay I haven't tried one or want one.
That along with all the radio ads about how great outlook,com is  Cheesy Yeah like when it was down last week ?
You should ask yourself what is M$ getting out of holding your email for you? Cause they certainly ain't doing it for your good.
I have used Gmail to hold my domain email for a couple of years, never had any down time, or noticed any ads, and spam is mostly a thing of the past. Compare that to a "hotmail" as it was account, that was where most of the spam came from at one time.
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: The "scroogled" campain

I have a laptop with Mint installed. I hope I can still find it. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
WTF
Grafter

Check the cupboard that smells freshest  Grin
Fixes: 47

Thanks WTF...found it but it's going to need a bit of TLC as it no longer knows what it is Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I pay a subscription for 10 outlook accounts each with 20gig of skydrive (or whatever its called now) along with office pro 5 users and a bunch of other things, it will cost me less than paying for a single copy of office over the next 5 years so really I cant complain about it, I'm also able to share all my calendar and files with my linked accounts without needing to make any of them public, I don't deny MS are getting something from all this because I know I'm paying for it however I don't get adverts in my mail regardless of browser used and yes the service outages can be annoying but that's the same problem that can hit anyone.
as for everything else I'm a windoz user (6 different version on various kit in my house) and whilst I do own and use a few android devices I don't particularly like the way they do things, I have a couple of apple products in my house and again there useable but not to my taste but then like everyone its probably more about what your used to using day to day than anything else, I mean my first pc's were a bbc master system, a spectrum, a c64 and then I got a windows pc (way back in 95) whilst they were all useable nothing was quite as simple for me to operate as the windows pc, despite that I was a unix system admin for 5 years (and I must confess I preferred the windows systems) networking and replacement units under windows has in my experience been a lot simpler because any off the shelf unit can be plugged in and work, but with the unix network there were far greater restrictions on what would work,
I would call each of them a pc (although not really comparable to my current easy to use win7 desktop) and they all have/had there uses at the time of being used, what gets on my wick more than anything is someone who vaunts there preferred OS over all others (and a lot of spotty faced geeks in shops do this) I tried using several distros over the years to varying degrees of success, but since windows is so simple to use (the first week of windows 8 on a pc I hated it, but I love it on my mobile and prefer it over both ios and android for simplicity and linkup to the rest of my digital life (perhaps I got lucky with the handset on that one) but then I never liked the way Gmail worked (always seems a bit awkward to me)
all that said I would always encourage someone to play with various things and work out for themselves what fits them and there needs and if they persisted I might say what my preferences were and why but generally its much better if someone discovers what is best for them and fits both there needs and there affordability brackets
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

I completely agree that Windoze gets a lot of unmerited grief these days.  IMO, it's been fine for well over a decade, basically since NT (pro) and XP (consumer).  Prior to that it was utter pants, of course. Win7 is actually pretty good  .. haven't tried Win8 - and after reading the various reports, I'll probably avoid it for a while  Smiley
Having said that, it could just be that I'm really familiar with it - whenever I have to talk my darling mother through even the simplest of tasks, I am surprised at how much needs to be explained in words of two syllables - e.g. right-click (= press the "hamster's" right ear).
On servers, I really like unix (in any of it's many guises) but I've never really felt the need for it on a desktop - you just give yourself a heap of unnecessary compatibility issues, so far as I can see.  Having said that, every time I get a new lappie I promise myself I'll try some variety of Linux on the old kit .. but I've never gotten around to it  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

wtf, you're missing a treat.  when i first started with linux it was hard work sometimes and i needed to use the terminal quite a lot.  that was 2004.  since then i've used the terminal less and less.  in fact, i can't remember the last time i needed to use it; has to have been a couple of years at least.
everything about linux has improved by orders of magnitude since i first set eyes on it.  the graphics can be stunning and the applications are second to none.  there are especially good games available these days too.
my distro of choice is pclinuxos and there are plenty more to choose from.  i've heard good thinks about mint, debian and suse.  a visit to distrowatch will show you how much choice there is.
for those of an adventurous turn of mind, there is also arch and gentoo.  i've never wanted to do linux from scratch, but it's a great way to learn the os from the inside out.
Fixes: 105

we all know OS X is the way forward..
Will Moderate For Thanks
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
wtf, you're missing a treat.  when i first started with linux it was hard work sometimes and i needed to use the terminal quite a lot.  that was 2004.  since then i've used the terminal less and less.  in fact, i can't remember the last time i needed to use it; has to have been a couple of years at least.

Have to admit I haven't used any of the recent desktops ..
I did once try to to use a bootable CD version of something (I forget which distro), but when it didn't work first time I gave up  Embarrassed
Quote from: dvorak
we all know OS X is the way forward..

.. or in whatever direction Apple decide to to herd you  Grin
My problem with Apple - apart from the fact they're an absolutely loathsome company - is that I'm an IT pro so need an actual computer able to run proper business software.  I know I could run Windows or Linux on Apple kit, but why pay the premium just coz it's pretty?
And I have to admit their kit is pretty. My missus is a fully paid up member of the iCult with an iPod, iPhone 5s, iPad (10" and she now wants the 'handbag-size' 7" version as well) and an Air - soon to be replaced with the Pro with the fancy screen  .. because her current HDD is full  Shocked
Fixes: 105

Quote from: WTF

My problem with Apple - apart from the fact they're an absolutely loathsome company - is that I'm an IT pro so need an actual computer able to run proper business software.

Me too and apple kit is far better for me than windows Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro

what I always disliked about apple was the fact you couldn't build your own, there interface was about as helpful as windows 3.1 and you were forced to pay way over the top for parts just because they were apple certified, at least with the various distro's of Linux/unix you could eventually find a driver for something (if the manufacturer didn't provide one) or if you took the time tweak an old one to work (was great for tinkering but a real pain sometimes when you just wanted to do something)
I know things have improved since the last time I personally used mac's properly but I still don't like there exorbitant price, so I have no idea if I would like them now.
the problems with windows 8(.1) are numerous but stem primarily from the fallacy that a touch interface is good for a desktop (its absolutely perfect for tablet/phone) but it loads win7 as a desktop option (I am trying to figure out how I can boot disable the metro UI on desktop atm) 

I don't disagree though that everyone should find the magic box that suits there personal needs, however that said far less people are able to afford the niche price point of apple products (not the mobile stuff although that's also becoming true now that other options are available)
WTF
Grafter

As if to confirm my comment above about the loathsomeness of Apple, ths story appears today:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/29/revealed_the_secret_apple_deals_that_squeeze_rivals_and_tax_...
Apparently, even if you avoid buying an Apple phone, you can't avoid paying the Apple-tax  Shocked
nanotm
Pro

if its true they will be up in front of competition commissions all over the world, it would also explain why certain network's took an extra few months to work out there icrap packages, some offer a nasty package with a high price compared with the bargain offers (one network was offering the lumia 925 for £75 up front on a £20/m unlimited data/200 minutes/5000texts but the iphone 5c was £50 upfront 2 Gb data/300minutes/3000texts @30/m and the 5s was 100£ upfront and 35/m on the same package) if I hadn't already got a htc w8x on a £13/m unlimited data/100mintes/5000txts off them I might well of taken the lumia offering Smiley
seriously though when you can get a handset for free and a 10>20 quid a month unlimited data contract why the hell would you by an iPhones any more when there always at least 10/m more on a 24 mth contract, I did read somewhere a few years ago that a handset costs about 100 million to bring to market, which given volumes of around 10 million units for initial release means a unit cost of about 450 each +shipping and tax, however initial orders of 100 million units (same hardware supplied to the global market) tat price drops down to 250 per unit or about 350 at retail price, the only reason nobody can do it is apple constantly tying up the screen manufacturing for months at a time (for which they have been fighting a legal battle for over 5 years in the USA)
still it would seem at least 2 mobile device companies are about to go out of business for patent infringement problems that they have known about for years and refused to comply with for just as long now being ruled against them.....

soon we will have apple Samsung and Nokia/Microsoft as the only manufacturers left unless the others start paying there pennies per patent they use....
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
soon we will have apple Samsung and Nokia/Microsoft as the only manufacturers left

Apple and Samsung already make all the profit from phones.  Actually, officially more than all the profit - 110% - because the other manufacturers are making such big loses.
And it's hard to see MS/Nokia making much of a dent in that any time soon  Sad
nanotm
Pro

except apple and Samsung both pay billions every year to Microsoft in order to utilise there patents in there products, apple has also lost 19 lawsuits brought against it so far and been banned a few times from sale (which have been overturned in the interests of allowing market competition)
Samsung has preferred to settle claims against it outside of court (which has seen them continue to grow at a massive rate without the negative press) strangely enough though a cabal consisting primarily of apple, Microsoft, Samsung & Google have recently won several lawsuits around the globe against rival phone manufacturers on various grounds, so I wouldn't be overly surprised to see all of them facing prosecution for price rigging in the near future as well....