Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Vegetables" are coming back !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: The "Vegetables" are coming back !

The BBC turned down the chance to screen the new version of All creatures great and small so it was shown on Channel 5.

I thought the series was excellent...but why did the BBC turn it down ?

I will have to leave you to do the research on that one, if I provide the answer my post is likely to be deleted.

As for spitting image, total waste of viewing time, watched the first one and that was enough.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

The reason they turned it down can be assumed from their refusal to say the real truth of why they turned it down.

Not a great fan of remakes m'self or attempts to rewrite history, or as I think the BBC put it, "to emerge from the shadow of history" which is their newspeak for it not fitting in with their own perception of contemporary values. The other one of course is that catch-all one of "it does not appeal to our younger audience".

And where does all this pandering to the 'wet behind the ears' woke brigade get them? Reduced viewing figures, especially amongst the over 55s that's where. 

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-viewing-by-channel-group/

Still my first port of call for news though - even if it's through gritted teeth as times. 😬

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With all the separatist blatantly one sided programs being made, where the producers even give themselves a pat on the head for making it, I'm surprised there hasn't been more push back.

Well I'm not really surprised as despite all the naysayers with their own agendas we must be the most easy going unracist country in the world.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Rather that all this focus on slavery in the past which cannot be changed it would be much more useful to focus on current slavery for those working long hours in sweat shops for wages well below the minimum wage to girls trafficked into this country for purposes that have been well publicised in the press.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Slavery in our own past, for that's virtually what is was during the industrial revolution and serfdom before that is just as valid. Sure it was rotten and sure slavery as such was an abomination that went on for far to long, but being both selective and revisionary whilst at the same time cherry picking for one particular racial group just because a hat can be hung on it only serves to help the few...whilst getting right up the noses of many.

I only have to go back four generations on my maternal side to find records of family living in tents and caravans one generation removed from the slums of 19th century Croydon.

At the Precipice of Poverty: A Croydon Chronical.

ISBN-13 : 978-1857564846

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And the idea of payments being made to relatives/descendants of slaves is laughable.

I never got any as my dear old Mum was a slave in Germany. And the amount she was paid was tiny/negligible for all those years of labour. All she really wanted was an apology from the German government which she never got.

If those descendants of the African slave trade ever got a similar payout on the same sliding scale they would be in for a big disappointment as they don't make coins that small any more.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

There have been horror stories reported about foreign workers in the Middle East, including a TV programme fairly recently.  'Maids' from poor countries are advertised for sale by one employer to another just like slaves were.  Yes, they do get some money for their work but payment seems to be when and if the employer feels like it and not very much.  The laws in Saudi Arabia (I think it was) have changed so that the employer can no longer keep their maid's passport, and they must be given some annual leave.  One fairly young woman employer complained about these new laws and added words to the effect of, "And now they want us to give them (i.e. the maids) a day off as well, this really is taking things too far, how on earth am I going to manage?"

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Nothing ever seems to change, the problem just seems to shift from one group to another....

Poor people are always vulnerable