Did you mean: 

The "Vegetables" are coming back !

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

... ish

Spitting Image returns!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8073239/Spitting-Image-returns-Celebrities-including-Prince...

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: The "Vegetables" are coming back !

Guess it will be a pale ghost of its original content.  Today's PC climate is totally different to to when original hilarious 'anything goes' programs were produced ( that is the most damaging change  in climate for me - the loss of free speech and the rise of identity politics ).

Megain and Harries were moved to litigation about newspaper harassment, imagine how mad they would get about being made to look silly on TV,  todays litigation culture means it will be sanitised of anything remotely controversial,  so a bit of a non-event really - I would be so glad to be proved wrong though...

Also only on Britbox.......

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@wotsup wrote:

Guess it will be a pale ghost of its original content

It won't last long if it just gets limited to poking fun at white straight males like I suspect it will.

Though even then, going by recent news events, if Mick Jagger returned that would probably attract cries of racist.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

The new series has finally started airing (on BritBox apparently), so has anybody been watching it?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not m'self @RobPN as I don't subscribe but did notice when it was being 'advertised' that it's a joint project between the BBC and ITV. 

Have the BBC seen the writing on the wall with regards to the licence fee I wonder and decided to put some of their eggs into the commercial television basket. 

Spitting image was good in it's day and real ground breaking stuff but as @wotsup and @billnotben suggest (and I have to agree) in today's climate it's not going to be anywhere near as challenging.

It's just all become so dumb and dull.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well I downloaded a couple of episodes and what can I say.

The first spitting image was brash and funny with a cruel exaggeration of the features of those being shown. The new version is nothing like the old. Political correctness seems to have ruled out it being funny. With a few of the participants being virtually untouched in any comic way due to obvious current reasons.

I can honestly say I never even smiled once during its twenty two minutes and I just deleted the second episode.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

From the couple of clips I have seen it's certainly lost it's bite.

With language curtailed, words banned and opinions frowned upon it will not long before generations to come will all be walking in lockstep wearing the same blue boilers suits. Even here we'll be seeing some big brother type logo pinned at the top of General Chat forum as a permanent reminder of the rules we all have to obey. Oh hang on....

Highlighted
All Star

Many years ago when watching the original Spitting Image they broke into song, a parody of the Country Life Butter advert, with the line "You'll never put a better bit of Botha on your knife", in reference to South Africa's Pik Botha. At the time I laughed so much I actually wet myself, now this and indeed the majority of 'satirical comedy' doesn't come close to what it used to be due the onslaught of Political Correctness in the past 10 or so years.

Does anyone remember the Right Honourable Member of Parliament Alan B'Stard in the New Statesman or Malcolm Tucker in the Thick of It?

Edit:- Corrected typo.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 49

I remember the Rt. Hon Alan, @Mook , but not Mr. Tucker - probably never watched the prog.

John
Highlighted
All Star

If you're not easily offended and haven't seen "In the thick of it" it's well worth a watch, but it can be quite brutal, the DVDs are 18s.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

'The Thick of It was' excellent.

Easily offended as you say? Then don't watch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqFbW0CIXDs

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

On the question of vegetables and the original heading of this topic, is that what many are becoming and before the flowering of any independent opinion, getting pulled up by their roots?

Watching one of these lazy viewing cop chase types progs last night and the offender (sorry, suspect) and obviously a black guy, is being chased down by a copper who is shouting into his radio "male, mixed race, heading towards...."

Even PCs it seems are now obliged to be PC. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That reminded me of one of the skits in that first episode which nearly raised a wry smile.

The Disney board were discussing the next star wars and the item they were talking about was that they were bringing in a black Yoda.

All I could think was that was probably true.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Star Trek bent over backwards with that one when they brought in a black Vulcan. Fair play though, they were well into diversity before so many shows. That Russian guy on comms, 'beam me up' Scotty (played by an American actor) and who could possibly forget Sulu.

Did I hear right in that there are plans afoot to bring back Friends but with black actors? Can't wait to see who plays the part of Joey Tribbiani. 

Casting directors job? Err, no thanks.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Casting directors job? Err, no thanks.

That would best be Humpty Dumpty as he could take walking on eggshells to a new level.