Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The price of petrol

MightyMouse
Grafter

The price of petrol

The price of petrol

I know that the government are partly responsible for the price of petrol, but not totally .
I do have sympathy for our haulage contractors , where foreign  vehicles can come into this country  with their cheap fuel and out price the British . The government should correct this by putting an import duty on every  foreign vehicle that enters these shores
But that is only part of the problem .
The people that are mainly responsible for this are OPEC .
It is obviously supply  and demand . The more they sell the higher they will push the price .
I know this might sound a bit mad , but could we not have one week  world wide  where wherever possible we use our cars the absolute minimum .??. For  example,share cars wherever possible . Use public transport where ever possible, cycle, walk that ¼ mile down to your local shop instead of getting in the car . keep your speed down, combine journeys   .have your tyres at the correct pressures . There are lots of things that we can do 
The worldwide web is almighty  powerful, so therefore could not an email be sent by every body that a has a Computer to everybody they know , and of course asking them to send it to everybody they  know Huh. asking them to do the same . I am certain that Opec would then lose  literally billions of pounds in sales in that one week . Hopefully prompting them to lower their prices
I am not very good at putting these emails together, as I am sure you can see by this email , but I am sure that there is someone out there that is..
Hope you understand what  I am getting at .
P.S  It  could also be put on every message board that you know.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: The price of petrol

I already use my car as little as possible.  the price of diesel has severely curtailed my favourite past time, hence so much time on this forum.... it`s the only way I can get out, without spending any money!.....

so therefore could not an email be sent by every body that a has a Computer to everybody they know , and of course asking them to send it to everybody they  know Huh?. asking them to do the same .

I think a lot of people would agree with your sentiments, however, I think the idea would be impractical on a worldwide, or even national basis..... as for emailing as you suggest, doesn`t this come under the terms of "spam" ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Doesnt work, last time the  tried to organize a no car  day there were more cars on the road
pierre_pierre
Grafter

When I first went to Germany in a truck 1971, they used to impose a fuel tax at the border, dipped the tanks to find out how much in tank.
Yes it is unfair with large tanks, the Continentals dont have to buy any fuel in the UK.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
I already use my car as little as possible.  the price of diesel has severely curtailed my favourite past time, hence so much time on this forum.... it`s the only way I can get out, without spending any money!.....

I'm the same in that I only use car when actually needed - only done just over 800 miles this year. That includes day trip, thro' tunnel, to France and Belgium which was about 330 miles.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My insurance policy was reduced this year, because I stated I would be doing less mileage.... I used to put 15,000 miles for a year, (which I usually over run)  but now I`m estimating less than 10,000 and got a reduction of premium...... not really a compensation for the loss of pleasure I get from driving though.  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: nadger

That includes day trip, thro' tunnel, to France and Belgium which was about 330 miles.

Presumably to fill up with fuel.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: petlew
Presumably to fill up with fuel.
Used to always try to go into France with minimum fuel when I ran a diesel. No advantage now, with petrol, and I'd imagine the Euro rate doesn't make diesel quite so attractive now. I can do the round trip on a full tank of petrol, from home.
Actual reason is that unfortunately SWMBO still smokes so a trip to Adinkerke ( Belgium) saves £100s of pounds - not as much as her stopping smoking would but........ Cry
Community Veteran

A similar protest was planned in America.  They produced a list of oil companies that bought their supplies from OPEC countries and those that didn't.  They asked drivers to boycott the OPEC garage forecourts.  Problem was that drivers soon went back to buying at their nearest garage and the protest fizzled out.
Nearer home we can do something.  Around 75p of every litre of petrol we buy goes to the government in fuel tax and VAT.  We should all write to our MPs and the Prime Minister demanding a cut in this tax. Tomorrow there is going to be a protest in London by truckers demanding action to cut the price of diesel.  Good luck to them.  We have some of the dearest fuel in the world.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep had to put £20 in this morning, couldn't believe how the cost is risen. I remember it going up to three-pence-per-litre figures and that didn't seem long ago, it's way beyond that now.
I've don't use my car that often, in fact I don't think I've put any petrol in it since driving home from Sheffield on the PlusNet open day Smiley
Reckon I've probably done 2.5k miles in the last year.
Of course the government will blame the rising oil prices, nothing to do with them. Except when the prices do rise then they make more money since the VAT proportion rises due to the increase base cost. I wonder what they do with that extra money? (rhetorical question). VAT is applied to the duty as well of course, so at least I can sleep at night knowing our government is saving the environment by taxing a tax.
It makes me laugh how the anti-car and PC brigade don't understand that fuel prices still affect them even if they don't drive, and for some reason it has no bearing on the cost of living.
Denzil
Grafter

I live near Camborne in the West of Cornwall. I work in Falmouth, about 12 miles away. I might have bought a house nearer where I work, but Falmouth is more expensive than Camborne and I couldn't afford it. It is impossible to get to work by public transport. There is a big supermarket a mile or so down the road, but walking there means coming back up the road, and gaining about 200 feet. My state of health for the last three years has made that impossible (although I am much better now). I could stop driving to my archery and martial arts clubs, but that would mean giving them up completely.
I consider myself to be fairly green. I use a woodburner for heating and hot water. I keep electricity use as low as I can. I drive a 37 year old vehicle. Based on the fact the average car lasts just seven years, I have saved the energy of making four or five new cars just by keeping it running.  Like many other people, especially in rural areas, driving less just isn't an option, so we just have to pay extra. As Alex said, the government is making more money out of fuel duty now, yet is still determined to add another 2p a litre duty in October.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Denzil
Grafter

Yes, I fill up at ASDA in Falmouth more often than not, although the old dear runs better on 'proper' diesel. Fowey is miles away! I am not doing a two-hour round trip to save a few pence Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Its all a joke isn't it.
I drive a 2.5, do about 40 miles per day for work and more to drive around town with the GF. Before my GF got on the road, I was filling up with £75 per week.
Now my GF has passed and drives the other car which is now repaired... ish, I only drive to work and back and nothing else. Last week I survived on £20 of fuel which was cheap compared to what I used to pay out!
And then we have Mr G Brown... raking in our hard earned cash, not giving a damn about us getting poorer and he thinks hes in with a chance at the next general election?
These days now my GF is on the road I only use my car purely for work. Thats it. Fuel wise, its far too expensive to use for much else! Around town, I get around 19MPG - very expensive...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Back to Denzil.
Must have been dreaming of my next short hols  Lanlivery .  should have said Falmouth.  But now you want diesel, you have two choices, go west young man or go to work!