cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The price of fish

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The price of fish

I am currently on a controlled diet, to reduce colesterol, but occasionally, I am "allowed" a treat... the other day I thought "fish and chips" would be nice, as I haven`t had them for about 6 months..... Went into the local chippy, and was gobsmacked at the price of a "small" fish  (a fillet of cod)  Being an ex matelot, I am well aware of the hazards of being at sea in rough weather, and contemplated this, having ordered a fishcake and chips instead !...
messing around on youtube for some "nautical" memories of aircraft carriers I had served on, I came across this particular offering, and then remembered the price of fish....

Make you think...... !    Glad I wasn`t on board ......
7 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: The price of fish

Ive not had fish and chips for blooming ages,used to like it with mushy peas,the best fish and chips in my opinion was when they were served to you in newspaper,plenty salt and vinegar,a very great treat once in a while.
And as for the you tube link? Holly Molly!!  I thought it was going to topple right over on more than one ocassion,i wouldnt like to be on that boat either! Not even as a cuppa tea maker.
It really is a very dangerous and hazardous job,long time back i lost a mate out at sea,and he lost his whole crew too.
jmd
Grafter

A small fish with chips round here is generally £3.00 to £3.30 - if you want a normal sized fish you can pay between £3.40 to £4.00...............mind you I get a small as that is what I call large!!
Community Veteran

about the video - heck, that's not rough!  that's a sunny day out.
pollock is generally available at the chippy now and it's a tasty fish.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pollock is supposed to be more environmentally good, but it casts more than cod
James
Grafter

Our local chippy does insanely huge portions Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

So does ours, a single portion of chips would feed three, in fact, on the fairly rare occasions we "allow" ourselves a fish 'n' chip supper I usually have to stop them adding too many chips (otherwise I'd eat them all) SWMBO likes plaice, which covers an entire dinner plate from that chippy, my cod has to be cut in half to fit on the plate.
I must add its run by Turk's, and very pleasant they are too.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On the opposite extreme, used a chippy in the New Forest that provides fish portions that are fairly obviously of the Birds Eye/Findus/Youngs packet variety. And charge the earth for them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.