The price of every thing

First the Gas and Electric went up a bomb
Then went to the Dentist for a check up

Said they look good, did you get a new toothbrush for your Birthday,
Yes, OK that will be £75 then
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: The price of every thing

75 quid for a check up? Don't they have NHS dentists round your way? My last check up was 15.60 i think...
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no we seem to have an acknowledged NHS dentist blackspot in the South East (East Anglia)
Community Veteran

Your Primary care Trust has a legal responsibility to provide you with an NHS dentist.  Give them a call.  It may not be in your town but should be within a reasonable distance. I had a similar situation when my dentist decided to go private only.  My PCT found me one about 7 miles away.
Denzil
Grafter

Yes, but that is only possible if there are NHS dentists in your area who are prepared to take you on. Here in Cornwall there are dentists employed directly by PCTs, but only for emergency treatment. I looked at the find a dentist service on the British Dental Association website recently to be informed the nearest NHS dentist was in Hampshire Sad
Community Veteran

I know what you are saying but the PCT has a legal responsibility to deal with this.  Have you spoken to your PCT?
Here in my part of Essex we are pretty well covered and a new 2 dentist practice is opening soon in Epping which isn't far away.  Our PCT is funding the set up of a number of practices in their area.
pcoventry
Grafter

It took me 2 days to find a NHS dental practice which had places and that's only because a private practice had the intelligence to realise they had a source of income that no-one else was bothering with.
They seem to be very few and far between.
Community Veteran

Pete, NHS dentists are hard to find and it sometimes means doing what you did.  I know that in areas where dentists are short the local PCT will bribe private dentists to take NHS patients.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

I can't even get registered with either of the two private dental practices that are closest to me. One of them I have used all my waking life and they decided to strike me off their books because I hadn't attended for 18 months. I'm now told that they'll put me on a waiting list. When I asked when the last time they accepted anyone from this waiting list was I was told 'four years ago'!!!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

That sounds bad Bob.  Any dentist will take you off their list after 18 months even NHS ones.  They don't have to worry about business do they?
Seriously though your local PCT has a responsibility to find you a dentist.  I know this because I am on a committee of my local PCT.  Give them a call and tell them they have to do this and see what they say. The other alternative is a dental hospital.
Denzil
Grafter

But how is a PCT to fulfil its obligation if there are no NHS dentists in the area? The problem is that the vast majority of dentists are self employed, so the PCT can't force them to do NHS work. As I see it, the only way this mess will get sorted out is for dentists to be directly employed by PCTs. They are doing that here, but they are only for emergency work, not routine checks.
Fixes: 105

Quote from: Bob
One of them I have used all my waking life and they decided to strike me off their books because I hadn't attended for 18 months. I'm now told that they'll put me on a waiting list.

Our dentist stopped sending reminders out for check ups and if you didn't remember to book your check up after 18 months they struck you off without telling you!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
But how is a PCT to fulfil its obligation if there are no NHS dentists in the area?

It's not easy but the PCT has a legal responsibility to provide the service.  Speak to them and see what they have to say.  Write to your MP.
In my area we had a similar problem.  We advertised for dentists and provided them with finance to set up a practice. This has attracted newly qualified dentists who want their own  business but don't have the finance to set up.
Additionally, the PCT have provided additional finance to existing dentists to take on more NHS patients. 
These steps haven't totally solved our problems but it has been a great help.
The one thing that will solve this problem is a contract that allows dentists to earn a decent salary. When the government brought in the existing contract that was the start of the present exodus of dentists from the NHS.
N/A

Quote from: adiewoo
Our dentist stopped sending reminders out for check ups and if you didn't remember to book your check up after 18 months they struck you off without telling you!

Ours just books your next appointment when you come out of your last one. Seems a pretty efficient service to me, although I wouldn't dream of waiting 18mths for my next appointment - 3months is long enough between visits IMO. (They also send you an SMS message around a week before the appointment to remind you to go.)
That said, it is a private practice - I pay for my treatments/checkups/hygenist visits via a monthly insurance policy, covering everything except lab work (also covers worldwide dental costs if I need treatment whilst abroad).
Altogether it only comes in at around £150 per year (it would be more if I took less care of my teeth - its in both mine, and my dentists interests for me to maintain good oral health this way.)