cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The price of a packet of crisps

Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

The price of a packet of crisps

Went for a wander around the "local" Tesco shop.....  was looking for something else... but noticed that the price of a packet of crisps ( WALKERS )... was 85pence... or ... to us oldies   SEVENTEEN SHILLINGS ! ! ! ..

When I joined the Navy, in 1960... that was equivalent to TWO WEEKS WAGES ! ! !..

Crisp prices have rocketed over the past 5 years or so....but I don`t think potato prices have risen in the same way... Obviously, ... WALKERS and the other crisp manufacturers are taking the biscuit ..... (Huh  ? )

52 REPLIES 52
TTman
Aspiring Pro

Re: The price of a packet of crisps

@shutter  Dont forget Walkers has to pay a huge salary to Gary Lineker Crazy2Crazy2

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Not only have prices gone through the roof so has the choice of crisp concoctions. Where once it was potato flavour or nothing other than a twist of salt, now it's just about anything you can think of and more choice than you can shake a stick at. 

More choice of flavours, more choice of shapes... that'll be more money please, a lot more.

Here's a challenge next time you wander down that never ending line of overpriced overhyped crunchy confusion in your local (or not so local) supermarket, see if you can find a packet of potato flavoured. 

TTman
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman  probably not!! I have in the past had steak flavoured that were suitable for vegetariansHuhHuh

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

How would they know? Smiley

TTman
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman  It said on the packet!!!!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

OK, how would they know it was steak flavoured if they had never tasted steak? Roll eyes

I remember when they brought out hedgehog flavour and the same question was asked!

Crazy or what. Crazy2

PS. They were 'orrible.

PPS. Peanut flavoured crisps, now there's something you don't see. 

agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 3

If my very rusty maths holds good for today,  at 85 pence it equates to £34,000 per tonne. Expensive taters.

Unless of course I have got it wrong again.

Community Veteran

A lot of the crisps taste of very little.

I used to enjoy the occasional packet of salty crisps. Or failing that a very strong flavoured cheese and onion.

I guess someone decided bland was better for you.

Community Veteran

Ah yes..... Cheese & Onion....  ( mostly flavoured with Garlic ! )...

If I remember rightly, when there were only three flavours..... plain....  plain with salt bag,  & Cheese n onion,... the cheese n onion one`s were very strong in flavour... so became a favourite....

However... Walkers and Smiths... used to confuse me.... as  Walkers was in a Green Packet... and Smiths was in a Blue packet... ( I think thats the right way round )... but if you went into a shop, and just picked up a packet that was blue... you could quite easily get a "plain with salt"  .... !  YUK... if you did not read the makers name ! ! ..

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Munching at what was left of a packet of those Pringles Mrs Minivanman bought the other day thinking they tasted, well tasteless and crikey they were made from something called 'Rice Fusion Selection' and not even a sniff of a potatoe in sight!

Talk about over selling a tasteless product. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Salt and Vinegar. Yuk.

Cheese and Onion. Yum

And since when did packets only contain about ten crisps - it seems like it anyway. What a swizz. 

ffox
Aspiring Pro

@shutter wrote:

noticed that the price of a packet of crisps ( WALKERS )... was 85pence... or ... to us oldies   SEVENTEEN SHILLINGS ! ! ! ..

When I joined the Navy, in 1960... that was equivalent to TWO WEEKS WAGES ! ! !..

Were you a boy seaman to be paid so little?  The lowest adult wage when I joined the RAF as a National Serviceman in 1955 was 28 shillings per week.  3s/11d of that went on National Insurance and 1d went to the benevolent fund! 

(I'd been earning more then that in my last year at school via a paper round, gardening and odd-jobbing.)  

Community Veteran

Er... kinda.... I was a Junior Seaman... age 15 years and 3 months on the day I joined.

After initial training, I moved from seaman branch to communications branch... and after 6 months, (I think) the wages increased to ten bob a week...  ( 50 p if you want the decimal equivalent) .. but...

5 Domino cigs were only a shilling... ( 5 p  ) 

Luzern
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 3

@ffox wrote:

@shutter wrote:

noticed that the price of a packet of crisps ( WALKERS )... was 85pence... or ... to us oldies   SEVENTEEN SHILLINGS ! ! ! ..

Were you a boy seaman to be paid so little?  The lowest adult wage when I joined the RAF as a National Serviceman in 1955 was 28 shillings per week.  3s/11d of that went on National Insurance and 1d went to the benevolent fund! 

(I'd been earning more then that in my last year at school via a paper round, gardening and odd-jobbing.)  

I know am ancient! At the start of my two National Service the pay was 5/- (25p) a week, from which often a chunk was seized for barrack room damages. Vague memory says, the damages were often ages old and never repaired.

Back to crisps! They are made from dryer types, some mentioned here. Oddity that perhaps I am, I still prefer plain lightly salted, especially kettle crisps.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.