Did you mean: 

The power grid is going down

WildRose52
Grafter

The power grid is going down

Faulty wind farms sinking into the sea
HUNDREDS of offshore wind turbines could be suffering from a design flaw
that makes them sink into the sea.
It says that almost all of the 336 offshore turbines that have been erected could be
affected as these were built to European standards now in question.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/industry-sectors/faulty-wind-farms-sinking-into-the-sea/sto...

I probably shouldnt find it funny - but I think it was the accompanying photograth that did
it.    Got visions of their sails going round & round as they slowly sink deeper & deeper....
It puts a new meaning on the words :  `the power grid is going down`    Grin
jim:green link fixed - the forum software messed it up mod:end

36 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: The power grid is going down

How on earth do you find your quotes?
An Australian site reporting the Wall Street Journal talking about the UK wind farms
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

In my paper this morning
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article7096654.ece
Sinking turbines blow ill wind across offshore energy sector
WildRose52
Grafter

When you say links do you mean the news stories?
If so...    I just have a list of news sites in my favs list lol
(not that they`re favs - whilst since when can news be a
favourite)  but at least it helps me keep track of the sites
so I can check out the stories.
The link you found Jim is probably the funnier headline lol.
There was some mad-cap headlines on daily mail earlier,
I was going to start a `crazy news headline` thread but then
I thought maybe we had enough for today.
David_W
Rising Star

Apparently in 2012 we're due a huge Solar Maximus, which is in essence a huge burst of energy from the Sun.  The last time this happened the Aurora Borealis (northern lights) were seen as far south as Mexico.  However, we are now much more reliant on electricity but one theory is that this Maximus will short out all the power thingies (technical that) on the planet, requiring them to be replaced, so we'll have around 10 years without electricity until they are replaced.  It's such a huge time frame because demand will be high, richer countries will naturally pay more to replace their power thingies but even then, it'll still take a long time to repair everything.
WildRose52
Grafter

From what Ive read previously there was such a solar event in the 1950`s.
I was only a young kid back then and dont remember it.
However, I do know we had no TV, and we had gas-lights, gas cooker & that was it.
If such an event happened now it would feel as though we had been thrown back into
the stone age.  Can you just imagine ppl managing without their computers, games
machines, hair-straightners, music & not to mention all of our kitchen gadgets.
I do sense that tptb know what is coming, and they`re preparing for it, and that is no
doubt why they are trying to put so many control mechanisms into place.  Trouble is,
would their control mechanisms even work after such an event?  Probably not.
Our area is due to have the electric off tomorrow for 6 hours.  Even that feels like a long time 
knowing we cant use c/heating or computer - cant envisage 10 years lol.

David_W
Rising Star

Preparing for something which may or may not happen is pretty difficult.  I believe what may happen is the solar discharge will hit the planet causing an overload to travel down all the power lines on the planet destroying the transformers (I think that's what will get blown).  As far as I know there are no plans to try and prevent this happening because it may not happen, it's just a theory that it may do.
And yep, if it does happen as a modern society everything will change.  We won't be able to get oil without electricity so no transport, no internet, no TV, radio, no access to worldwide or even national news, food supplies will have to rely on local produce as farmers won't be able to farm (takes oil to farm meat/veg on a large scale) so yeah, it'll be interesting if it happens but very difficult.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Surely when all the highly paid scientists and engineers got together to discuss putting expensive wind turbines into the ocean someone said "what can we do to make sure they don't sink or fall over", or was that not on the agenda because honestly if I was in that meeting I wouldn't have done anything else until we knew we could keep them standing more than a few years  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: WildRose52
HUNDREDS of offshore wind turbines could be suffering from a design flaw
that makes them sink into the sea.

Excellent news
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

According to http://solveclimate.com/blog/20100321/european-offshore-wind-capacity-reaching-critical-mass only shallow-water wind farms are likely to be flawed.

Community Veteran

Shame, does that mean they won't sink under the water then?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wind turbines' outputs represent only a tiny proportion of the total daily power demand, and only ever will unless we cover every square inch in them. Their output is also unpredictable. If they all went under tomorrow nobody would really notice. The only real way out of growing power demands is to use less!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Apparently the worst that can happen, is that they sink by a few centimetres - however more seriously they could drift slightly off of verticality (is that a word), putting large stresses on the major components.

Community Veteran

Quote from: A
putting large stresses on the major components.
Good, so will this help them fall over and sink into the sea then?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

You seem to have it in for wind generated power. Cheesy