cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The music

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The music

Now this is I must say straight away only my opinion...
I have watched and largely enjoyed the programmes celebrating HM the Queen 60 years on the throne that have been shown on TV for the last few days, but...
Is it only me that thinks that Christianity in general in most of its branches has, with some notable "pop" hymn exceptions, have some of the most dull boring music ever written, seemingly appreciated only by the choristers and conductors. The congregation with few exceptions including HMQ downwards thumbing furtively through their "order of service" to see how much longer this is going on, rather than absorbing the music.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The music

I think you are right.  They have never embraced modern trends in music IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yup I'll agree with that too. The CoE needs to get with the times. For many centuries the dull boring has been enough to do the job but these days with all the electronic music that us younger people enjoy, church music just doesn't do it. It's very boring, very depressing and frankly from my POV something for the retired (sorry folks!).
The CoE has already admitted it's members are in decline (ironically the largest loss being in Canterbury where the arch bishop preaches).
They don't have to change but if they want to keep the CoE alive they should. There is actually an organisation called friends of abandoned churches that is looking after the growing number of unused churches because there are so many of them and the numbers are increasing. While I'm not overly religious, some of these buildings are absolutely beautiful inside with some of the best architecture you could ever see yet many of them are simply locked up and never seen by the public. I can think of one that I know of that is actually someones house!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Being "modern" makes little difference. Having attended slightly under sufferance with my quasi-religious daughter a number of Evangelical services (that some may refer to as "happy-clappy") these are no better.
A small band that probably doubles as a profane beer-swilling hard-rock band at other times back a solo singer who strums along (badly) in the unvarying key of Dmaj with eyes tightly intensely closed droning several extremely long dull repetitive "songs". With a giant screen behind showing ecclesiastical images of the bright-star type and karaoke type verses running along the bottom of the screen. 
Being modern doesn't make it musically better.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 123

Having been an organist and chorister is several choirs I always wondered why the majority of our hymns were solemn and uninspiring. There were some exceptions.
Even some Christmas carols come across as dull.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Being "modern" makes little difference. Having attended slightly under sufferance with my quasi-religious daughter a number of Evangelical services (that some may refer to as "happy-clappy") these are no better.
A small band that probably doubles as a profane beer-swilling hard-rock band at other times back a solo singer who strums along (badly) in the unvarying key of Dmaj with eyes tightly intensely closed droning several extremely long dull repetitive "songs". With a giant screen behind showing ecclesiastical images of the bright-star type and karaoke type verses running along the bottom of the screen. 

True but many of these have a full house at each ceremoney whereas a CoE church can be half empty.
Personally I don't understand the point of religion anyway. With so many different gods worshipped around the planet and not one has ever shown any sign of actually existing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Sprite
I can think of one that I know of that is actually someones house!

God ? ? ?  Roll eyes
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew

They may do well to take a leaf out of Sister Act  Smiley  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: Sprite
I can think of one that I know of that is actually someones house!

God ? ? ?  Roll eyes

Hah, funny but no. That does raise an interesting question though, once a church is sold off as it no longer has a congregation, is it still a house of god?
Must admit although while I'm not religious, the solid construction of a church and its tower could be very appealing compared with the flimsy houses that are built today.
Fixes: 123

This link may help.
According to advice from the Canon Law Society of America, "unblessing" a church, as you put it, is simple. After advice from the priests' council and others who may have a right to be consulted, the bishop need only decree that the building will no longer be designated for Catholic worship, is consequently no longer dedicated or blessed, and is thus no longer a Catholic church. The building may then be sold for worship by another religious denomination or for other appropriate uses. (CLSA Advisory Opinions 2002, pgs. 130-131)

I have no idea how other religions deal with this.
I did have a friend a number of years ago who bought an old church somewhere near Cambridge and was in the process 'doing it up' as a new home for his family. You could still clearly see it used to be a church when I visited. It was a big undertaking and I have no idea if he completed the project as we lost touch.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still